Sign in to follow this  
BrianSmith

Change the icon to burn CD/DVD [done]

I have this problem with CDBurnerXP and Nero where the burn icon is just not obvious. One the icon is right in the middle of all the other icons and it gets lost and to it just doesn't jump out at me that that's the final button I press when I have prepared my data or audio to burn. It should be more obvious place and a different icon. Just my opinion because no matter how many times I use this software I always have to scan for the burn icon because it just isn't where I expect it and it doesn't look like I expect it.

Note sure where the icon should sit.

I have run a scenario of using CDBurnerXP Pro through our usability lab with a few people from work and the biggest issue new users have is not knowing what to do and where to go to do things in the application.

Once the users figured out that they needed to drag files from the top window to the bottom window to prepare them for burning, there was no clear steps or indication of our to start burning the files to CD/DVD. None of the icons suggested this was the main button to start burning. Maybe a button with the current icon on it and some text that says something like "Start Burning CD/DVD" and have this in a prominent spot separate from the other icons.

By the way drag-n-drop was not obvious to a lot of new users and they kept asking where the Add and Remove buttons were.

Also the bottom window where the files appear ready to burn was not labelled so some of the users got confused by the files appearing in two windows and which files were going to be burnt.

I think we will work later on that. At first we implement all features which CDBXPP should have in final version and after that we will focus on improving the layout to make it easier to use.

:lol: Very funny...do you think they are THAT bad?

Flo,

Can you find and buttons in Windows Explorer ?

(Which is the most common used "file and folder handler", isn' it).

WE uses drag and drop for file/folder handling (which is part of the common GUI).

In addition to this feature, you can click the right-mouse button and still use the "add", "copy and paste" and "delete" functionality.

In addition to this feature, you can click the right-mouse button and still use the "add", "copy and paste" and "delete" functionality.

Well, you can't since this feature doesn't exist. And I don't know if it can be implemented.

But why are these buttons so terrible for you? You don't have to use them...

Flo,

If you implement the and buttons in stead of Drag-n-Drop, please do NOT forget to implement a button .

Thanks

Jans

Just to make one thing clear :) ...we will _never_ remove the drag'n drop there might be options added on how you add remove files etc this won't affect the drag'n drop though which i agree with you is the most intuitive way of doing things if you are fairly familiar with windows. From a first time user perspective though it might not be that intuitive the hard thing is to find a balance between experienced users and those not so experienced...so this is a challange for the future of cdbxp.

Guest wonkyd

How about adding the text "Burn" next to the burn icon? like you can in IE and explorer in xp "add seletive text labels" not all icons need text labels, just the most used/common. As for the drag and drop why not have a right click>copy to compilation like nero? or a button, if you select a file press the copy to compilation button. Although this sort of thing should never replace the standard drag and drop. just my $0.02

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.