Sign in to follow this  
rstearman

[C] Command Line Version Generates bad ISO

I am using version 4.2.7.1801 of CDBurnerXP on 2 differnct machines:

1. Windows 2000 Professional SP4, .Net 2.0 and DirectX9.

2. Windows XP SP3, .net 3.5, DirectX9.

In the GUI of CDBurnerXP, I have created a number of DXP layouts for my product CD's. If I create an an ISO image of those layouts in the GUI, the resulting ISO images come out exactly correctly with the right folder and file structure and total size.

However, I am creating about 10 disc variants each time I do a product release, so I want to use the very nice command line feature to create the ISO's via a batch script. When I use the cdbxpcmd.exe to create the ISO image, the resulting ISO image is about half the size it should be and the structure is completely incorrect. All folders, regardless of their proper location, get created in the root of the ISO. The same is true of all the files. They too all get put in the root.

For instance, a folder that should be 2 levels deep shows up in the root and gets an invalid name of "Drivers\Utilities". The same things happens for files.

For clarity, the command line that I am using is as follows:

cdbxpcmd.exe -burn-data -layout:"d:\OEM\bbcd.dxp" -iso:"d:\OEM\bbcd.iso"

It doesn't seem to matter how simple the layout is, even one folder with one file inside of it comes out wrong. Confirmation and correction of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello Flo,

I've just installed the newly release version 4.2.7.1878 and tried out the command line ISO creation. It is really close, but still isn't quite right. Here are the details:

For review the issue was one of using the command line EXE to write ISO files with the file layouts coming from the DXP file. I have a DXP layout image with files in the root of the CD and also in folders within the CD. When I create the ISO, all of the folders and files within those folders come out exactly right. However, any files that are designated for the root of the CD simply do not get written to the ISO image.

Thanks again for all your hard work. This is a really powerful feature that NOBODY else has. Once this final issue is resolved, it will save a huge amount of time and I will be making a contribution.

Richard

Hi Flo,

I've just downloaded the new version and we are really close. While I hate to come back with one more item, I have found one final issue with the latest version.

On my CD, I have two video files that the command line ISO creator just won't include. Their names/path are:

/Video Tutorials/Step 2 - Database Design Tutorial.wmv (25.9MB)

/Video Tutorials/Step 4 - Advanced Operations Tutorial.wmv (37.6MB)

Several important points:

- The command line program doesn't return any errors.

- The structure of files/folders in the ISO are now exactly correct thanks to previous fixes you provided.

- I have compared an ISO created with the GUI (which works correctly) with one created with the command line. Out of 132 files & 66 folders, only these two files aren't included

- There are other files on the CD that have deeper paths and longer file name than these two. I have other video files on the CD in the same folder as above that write without an issue, including 2 files that have exactly the same name and path as above but with an .rm extension.

I would be perfectly happy to provide the files in question via some mechanism if that would help to track this problem down.

Thanks again for your responsiveness and assistance!

Hi Flo,

I've done a bunch more testing and have been able to much more specifically define the problem. Here is the situation:

In my situation, I have two files in a directory that have exactly the same name, just with a different extensions. The names are quite long to be descriptive. I did a lot of testing and was able to definitely determine that if the name portion of the filename is longer than 29 characters, one or other of the files does not get included in the ISO.

So, for example, you can create an extremely simple DXF file with just 2 small text files right in the root. If you name the files as follows, only one will come out in the ISO:

123456789012345678901234567890.txt

123456789012345678901234567890.csv

However, if you create these two files, it will be OK:

12345678901234567890123456789.txt

12345678901234567890123456789.csv

The exact same DXF file written in the GUI does not exhibit this problem.

Thank You!

Hm, looks like I can fix this for the next version by using UDF instead of ISO. You should probably check it out.

Thanks Flo. Just so that I am clear, you are recommending that when I setup the CD structure in the GUI, I should select that I want it to be UDF-based and not use ISO9660. Is that correct?

Hello,

I have quiet the same problem like rstearman. I want to create an ISO within three folders.

In one of these there are two files with a 39 characters name without the file extension e.g.

[39 chars].exe and [39 chars].ini

After creating the ISO there is only the .exe included.

I'm using 1893 and tried to set the format via -format:udf to UDF as you mentioned, but then I get the message that this -format parameter is not supported anymore.

So how can I get the ISO include whole files from the directories?

command line: cdbxpcmd -burn-data -folder[\folder1]:".\folder1" -folder["\folder2"]:".\folder2" -folder[\folder3]:".\folder3" -name:"something" -format:udf -verify -close -iso:".\something.iso"

Thanks in advance.

Not quite. This choice doesn't have any meaning to the command line version.

OK, so what you plan to do is make UDF the standard filesystem for command-line iso creation rather than using ISO. If that is the case, that is certainly fine with me as the UDF structure appears to be more flexible and robust.

Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.