Sign in to follow this  
Spiro

long file names get truncated

I used CDBurnerXP 4.2.7.1849 on Windows Vista in order to backup files onto a cd. One of the files was on the following path:

C:\Files\Internet\emails\Inbox\2009-03\Ad response to GF0090 WWW 2603 fredsmith@iannet1 net - Totaljobs com - Applicant details for Web Designer Developer ( Photoshop HTML Flash ) - Cambridge - GF0090 WWW 2603.msg

The actual file "Ad response to GF0090 WWW 2603 fredsmith@iannet1 net - Totaljobs com - Applicant details for Web Designer Developer ( Photoshop HTML Flash ) - Cambridge - GF0090 WWW 2603.msg" is only about 180 characters long.

However, when I burnt it to the CD it was truncated to

"Ad response to GF0090 WWW 2603 fredsmith@iannet1 net - Totaljobs com - Applicant details for Web Designer Developer ( .msg" which is only 126 characters long.

This was one of several files to be truncated in this way without any kind of warning.

The Disc File system was set to ISO9660/UDF and ISO Level ISO9660::1999 (unrestricted) but apparently there are restrictions - and ones that we are not warned about either.

I too am confused about what file system and iso level to use (under Disk / File System).

I just created a backup onto a DVD-R Double Layer (on Windows 7), and it came out unreadable. Now I'm looking through the settings and dreading the techno-babble I have to wade through.

Any insight appreciated.

I have same truncation issue, different OS- Win XP Pro. The desired file name lengths were 140 characters long. The programming disc format was set to UDF, unrestricted, in preparation for the burn. However, after burning, the CD's resulting file names were truncated at 126 chars (name+extension).

UDF was confirmed, after the fact, by reading the useless CD's properties via Disc\Disc Information. It says UDF.

Burner is an ATAPI iHAP422-9. The ATAPI manual lists no restrictions on format.

How can I get the full file name to burn onto the CD?

BTW, the .NET Frameworks are Ver 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1. CDBurnerXP is Ver 4.4.0.2905

Here's an example of the file name cut off. Original file name is all ASCII:

1965 Mildred Langanke, Florence Meister, Harold Langanke, Fritz Meister, Margaret and Paul Harbert, Daryl and Lena Weaver- Card Club at the Old Timken Park.JPG

The file name on the burned UDF CD is sized (122 char).(3 char):

1965 Mildred Langanke, Florence Meister, Harold Langanke, Fritz Meister, Margaret and Paul Harbert, Daryl and Lena Weaver-.JPG

The CDBurnerXP's compilation window shows the full length title. I am reading the burned CD with Windows XP-Pro's Explore browser (right-click START -> Explore). File name truncation is occuring, but from where?

Hm, I suspect that the file names will be burned with two bytes per character in this case, because (122+1+3)*2 is pretty close to the limit of 255 bytes. Maybe that will change with v. 4.5 and later of CDBurnerXP, but for now I can't do anything about that.