Sign in to follow this  
Bellzemos

Just some questions

Hello!

I will install CDBurnerXP 3.0.116 (older version, downloaded from official site), because I don't want .NET framework on my PC.

1. Can you confirm, that CDBurnerXP 3.0.116 is freeware and does not contain any adware, spyware or anything other?

2. Please tell me if CDBurnerXP 3.0.116 has any processes running in the background. Does it need anything constantly running or does it start only when user needs it and starts it?

3. A stupid question: I can burn CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R with CDBurnerXP 3.0.116, right?

4. Does CDBurnerXP 3.0.116 support Nero's NRG files? Will I be able to open them with version 3.0.116?

Thank you for help! :)

1. Yes, I can.

2. If you do not count the (optional) NMS access service, no.

3. Afair, yes.

4. A conversion to ISO, but nothing else.

2. What is (optional) NMS access service? Why is it needed and where can I turn it off? Is it even present in version 3.0.116? I can't find any info about it on your site.

4. CDBurnerXP 3.0.116 can convert a NRG file to ISO file? Well, that's all I need, then I can manipulate the ISO file with CDBurnerXP anyway I please, right?

An additional question: why do you (CDBurnerXP developers) offer your product for free? Do you get enough money to support the project from donations?

Thank you! :)

I already installed CDBurnerXP 3.0.116 and I found out that NMS access service is for non-administrator users and is by default not installed (you can install it later via program settings). I won't need and won't install that, because I'm always running my PC as administrator.

Well, I tried to burn some mp3's to a blank CD-R and I got an error but the files were burned anyway.

Then I tried to burn a PDF file to another blank CD-R and I got an error and the file wasn't burnt.

Here's that error's screenshot:

erra.jpg

I suspect that my DVD-RW drive (Plextor PX-740A) is not working properly. :-|

According to that error message, it may indeed be the case. Due to its age, 3.0.116 is unsupported though. So it may also be that a newer version of CDBurnerXP is working better.

Why are we offering it for free? Well, we do get money. Just not by selling the software, avoiding an occasionally annoying type of user called "customer". "We" is actually just me, the only developer...

Yes, I think that my Plextor DVD-RW drive is out of order... I'll be getting a new one. Any recommendations? I'm looking for a cheap but reliable one, internal for my desktop PC (not for notebook).

I'm sorry for calling you "we", I didn't know you're the only developer. So, how do you get money from CDBurnerXP, except for paypal donations? I apologise, if I'm too curious don't answer that question.

Oh, and did I found out right about the 2nd and 4th question from my previous post? Is that correct? When I buy a new drive I'll install your program instead of Nero.

Thank you and all the best! :)

In Germany (where I live) LG drives are quite popular. Not really expensive, but usually reliable.

Currently, apart from donations, we get money from Google Ads. I may explore other options in the future, but in no event will CDBurnerXP ever cost money.

I guess you are right about 2, didn't use this version for many years now. The NRG to ISO conversion may be a replacement for native NRG support, but it has limitations. Audio NRG files are for example not supported.

You mean the Google Ads from your website? Google's ads are OK, because they are not too intrusive. But there's no ads in the program itself, right? I hope that in the future you won't include something like a toolbar in the program installation (adware).

Could you please tell me why the new versions need .NET framework? To be honest I don't even know what that is but I like to have as less stuff as possible running on my PC (it's quite an old machine).

About NRG - no problem, I only have some old NRG images (data, not audio) which I made when I was using Nero Burning ROM.

Well, what can I say? Thank you for your cool program and all the best to you! :)

But there's no ads in the program itself, right? I hope that in the future you won't include something like a toolbar in the program installation (adware).

I can't say that we'll never include a toolbar ad this point, but if so, it will be optional and there will not be any ads in the application and it will not be something which is generally considered as "adware" (annoying you with popups or other advertisements except for the toolbar itself). Google Ads are convenient because of the simplicity, but it will not suffice for letting me work on CDBurnerXP and further freeware applications for a living. This would actually be my goal, which I'll try to achieve with as few "sacrifices" as possible.

Could you please tell me why the new versions need .NET framework? To be honest I don't even know what that is but I like to have as less stuff as possible running on my PC (it's quite an old machine).

It's convenient for me. And Vista+ has it included anyway.

Thank you for the explanation.

Today I installed a new DVD-RW drive and successfuly burnt a CD. OK.

But when I tried to burn a DVD I got this error:

fufo.jpg

What do you think is wrong? What doest that code mean? Please help me! :)

Is it possible that I got that error because I tried to burn a DVD-R with 1x speed?

I now did it again but with 2,4x speed and it went fine! That's crazy! :D

Please, tell me anyway what is that error up there about. I hope that now my DVD-RW drive will work fine. Thank you for your cool program and thank you for your help! :)