Sign in to follow this  
jalukas

Error during install: INSTMISA.EXE not found.

I volunteer for a charity, and try to refurbish donated computers to hand out to clients who otherwise would not be able to afford one.

I am currently working on a Gateway ATX Tower GPX-450. I have just installed Win98SE. The machine has a CD burner WSM-52X RW-5224 that I thought I would see if it works (it works fine as a CDROM). So I tried to install CDBurnerXP Pro version 1.1.8, which I have used in the past on other Win98 installations. But I got the error message:

Cannot find the file 'MSIEXEC' or one of its components. ....

I thought that maybe it was a IE file, so I installed IE 6 SP 1, but that didn't help.

So, I got the latest version of CDBurnerXP Pro, 3.0.113, but when I try to install it, I get the message:

File C:\sources\CDBURNERXP Pro\VER 3.0.113\INSTMSIA.EXE not found.

Which is true; such a file was not included in the cdxp_setup_3.0.113.zip file I downloaded (it contained only setup.exe, using both WinZip and IZArc).

Any help is appreciated.

:(

Why did you install version 1.1.8?? Didn't you know that this is a version you better should not install? reinstall Win98 and then install version 3-113 without installing 1.1.8 before.

> Why did you install version 1.1.8??

It is what I had. It had worked before for me, so I didn't expect any trouble, nor see the need for a new version. After all, this was only a test.

Anyway, I didn't install it. I tried, but it failed before anything was installed.

> Didn't you know that this is a version you better should not install?

Obviously not. :^)

> reinstall Win98 and then install version 3-113 without installing 1.1.8 before.

Are you saying that the *attempt* to install 1.1.8 corrupts Win98?

I'm not sure what you mean by "correctly extract the setup file". I extracted the file setup.exe to a directory and then invoked it. Is there something else I should be doing? Does setup.exe have to be extracted to a specific directory?

Well

> Might need an updated wininstaller you can find it under downloads or use this

worked. I would like to suggest that the web page be updated to mention the fact that Win98 needs wininstaller updated before trying to install CDBurnerXP. Who should I tell?