Sign in to follow this  
Fleet Command

[FULFILLED] Start Menu Shortcuts

Pretend an average user who installs 25 programs (an ordinary number) on his new computer. Each program add 4 shortcuts to the Start Menu, 3 of which the user never uses. Result: A cluttered Start Menu with 100 shortcuts, 75% of which are never used. Wouldn't it be better that the application vendors do not add those unneeded shortcuts in the first place? Well, users would have a very tidy Start Menu. That's why my colleagues and I (in addition to Microsoft) have started to ask the vendors of our favorite programs not to install unnecessary shortcuts.

CDBurnerXP is a great application; that much is certain. However, I'd like to suggest CDBurnerXP not to install five unnecessary shortcut in the Start Menu: The four web site shortcuts (Forum, Online Help, License and Homepage) which can be moved the help menu of CDBurnerXP are redundant because neither me nor any of my friends have even once in our lives went to a website from the Start Menu. Nobody does. As for the uninstall shortcut, people do not need to uninstall such a great program as CDBurnerXP on a recurring basis! If they ever needed to do so, they'd do it from Add/Remove Program in Control Panel.

You are certainly right about what you say, the UXGuide says so too. The only issue that I'm not sure about is the "uninstall" shortcut. I personally like to have such a shortcut, because finding the application in the software list first seems a bit cumbersome to me. You may not unisntall CDBurnerXP on a regular basis, but possibly applications in general. I have no problems with ignoring my personal preference on that matter, but I wonder if a missing uninstall link is fine for the average user...

As a matter of fact I insist far too much on the removal of uninstall shortcut. It is like a self-insult! CDBurnerXP is a great application and an average user never needs uninstalling it.

On the other hand, removing uninstall shortcut gives developers more confidence: They know that they are developing an application that is not supposed be uninstalled.