Sign in to follow this  
floele

Yet another flavour of CDBurnerXP

Wonder why so many people are against the toolbar... <_<

You don't have to install it, and if you're too stupid to uncheck the "Install Ask Toolbar" box, then you're too stupid to get this program for free.

Instead go spring your money on a pay-for equivalent, and then get yourself a nice tin foil hat to go with it.

Guest Guest
and then get yourself a nice tin foil hat to go with it.

I really don't appreciate such comments, especially since I made the mistake of criticizing myself.

First of all the velostat (anti static packing for electro magnetic material) caps really work, although the maker swears it's for alien mind control and not government mind control, in any case comments like these are fighting words and not called for!

Guest slawek22

All IE toolbars are evil. We can argue if it's spyware or not, but:

1. system performance will suffer (as these are tighly integrated with system core)

2. stability will suffer (same as above)

3. security MAY suffer (integration, again)

IE plugins are much worse than eg. firefox plugins (because ff plugs only affects firefox alone, not the whole operating system).

As a person that knows a lot of people i see that 99% of system instabilities, slowness and other problems are

1. VIRUSES

2. TOOLBARS and other malware (such as ask's)

You can try for yourself, install 10 different IE toolbars (especially on windows Vista or Win7) - and your computer will become IMPOSSIBLE to use! IT's just MALWARE - plain and simple. It's eating your CPU cycles and RAM since the operating system starts (NOT after you start IE).

Why not accept donation and/or make paid version. The software's so great the many people would pay for it. Only technically literate people use it (because Nero or other useless crap is bundled with writers most of the time). So your users are skilled. Installation % will be very low. And skilled users will stop to advise your soft to technically illiterate (because no one would waste his time to clean OS-es from the toolbars you bundle).

Bad decision IMO.

You can try for yourself, install 10 different IE toolbars (especially on windows Vista or Win7) - and your computer will become IMPOSSIBLE to use! IT's just MALWARE - plain and simple. It's eating your CPU cycles and RAM since the operating system starts (NOT after you start IE).

YES!!! And do you know what's even worse? Anti-virus software! Just go ahead and install 10 different anti-virus suites concurrently and see for yourself: Your computer will become IMPOSSIBLE to use! ANTI-VIRUS IS TEH EVILZ!!1!!1 And it also phones home all the time, downloading new definitions/signatures/whatnots (Yeah, right! As if I believe that! Them's lying-spying piggs!) WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

*Sings* I always feel like somebody's watching me - and I got no privacy! */sings*

but seriously, you complainers are just plain silly. As has been pointed out many times, there is an installer WITHOUT the toolbar. So to those people who say 'My customarz ar too stoopit': GIVE THEM THE INSTALLER WITHOUT THE TOOLBAR! Problem solved. Geez-uss! (Or better yet: Get higher quality customers!)

Everybody else who complains: Learn to read and how to uncheck boxes! Not just in order to install CDBurnerXP the way you want, but because it will greatly improve your ability to maintain your system and use custom install options on any other software that provides them.

Flo: More power to you! And please reconsider your decision to not accept donations alongside other forms of revenue. Those people who want to support you, but not by downloading the toolbar-laden SpyBurner'ASK'P (sarcasm alert), might want to give you some money while downloading the toolbar-free installer (to offset their non-compliance with your absolutely mandatory crow-sourced moneygrabbing scheme, you evil trickster, you!)

Guest phil2010

All major free burning apps includes ASK toolbar - ImgBurn, BurnAware, CDBurnerXP, Nero 9 Free.

So you got choice:

1. Stop whining and uncheck any toolbar while installing

2. Stop whining and pay for commercial software

Guest Anonny

I think it's irresponsible to trust a toolbar to do what it's distributors say when they giving you money to do so. It doesn't just come down to the definition of "spying". User-made, dedicated dedicated removal tools exist for Ask, that says enough about how popular and wanted this toolbar actually is.

The opt-out method of...nearly anything is sleazy. Ever been signed up for 'free' magazines? Among other things I clean up computers for a living; the average computer swarms with unwanted and unasked for toolbars, either installed with free software or preinstalled at the factory. The only bar anyone ever wanted to keep, at all, ever, was Google Toolbar, and that happened a grand total of once. So your toolbar revenue will come almost exclusively from preying on people who didn't notice, didn't understand, or didn't know better.

Given the pledges given in this thread alone, I really think you should've posted a paypal link before resorting to this. I'm not sure whether the potential revenue from that's gone up or down since you included the toolbar but folks will sure believe you're serious about it now.