Sign in to follow this  

Future suggestions

Hi,

I have for you some necessary suggestions for this nice application to make it really great, because small detail is WHAT really matters...

1./ Rebranding - It's time to remove from name CD and XP, because it can burn also other media and supports also other operating systems. Also entire application has very nice Windows 7/Vista style icons, but main application icon is IMO obsolete and not very nice. It needs refresh along with application name.

2./ Drive detection - This is the only application which i know and have tested, which requires installation of Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and services(previously called Matrix Storage Manager) This software is mandatory and without this is my DVD drive not detected. If others like Nero, Roxio, BurnAware or ImgBurn does not need that Intel crap which installs aditional services, also CDBurnerXP should be able to work without it.

3./Too many toolbar buttons - Some of them have duplicates on top and middle toolbar. Remove one toolbar and make him text only with the exact same look and feel like default Windows 7 explorer toolbar. With only few simple commands and maybe one or two icons on right side to access advanced options or changing layout from horizontal to vertical or add help button etc...

4./Windows 7 Jump list support - Add some common task to icon when is pinned to Windows 7 taskbar, like Burn Image, Burn data disc or Copy disc - All those task which are shown when you launch application. Also there could be some advanced options button or help button, divided with separator from those main actions.

5./ Working cover printing - Currently not usable. It cannot properly resize images to match exact dimensions of CD front/back or DVD covers normal or slim.

Uhm... hopefully i have not pissed you off :) I still like your application, but i could be much better...

5./ I will try to explain...

If i want to print some DVD cover and have picture, there is no easy way how to print it through CDBurnerXP cover editor. Look at sample picture.

I have loaded some random, Googled DVD cover but easy and fast printing is not possible. http://img121.imageshack.us/f/ed01.jpg/

My suggestion is when you load some cover picture, like CD front, CD back or DVD cover - cover editor should resize those pictures to have right dimensions.

For standard DVD cover it is cca 27.3 cm wide and 18.3 cm high and this is IMO the way that cover print editor should work. Load cover image into some template with right dimensions and then print it...

Standard CD case front cover 12x12 cm, back cover is 11.7 cm high and 15 cm wide

Hm...if you get the full cover in the internet already, what do you want to edit? It doesn't seem like you can add any further text on top of the cover.

1. Renaming is troublesome, so I won't do that for now. "WinBurner" feels completely uninspired :-P

Nice mockup, will think about doing something like this in the future (though not soon).

Problem with full covers is that they are in various sizes (in pixels) and needs resizing in some kind of software to print it in right size. Curently i am using for cover printing MS Word. I insert in blank document cover, right click and set up dimmensions in centimeters. CDBurnerXP could have similar working cover editor which could load image into some template and then print it in correct size. Anyway hopefully you're inspired for the future :)

Ah, I get it. Will implement that for the next version, seems easy enough.

yo dude, thanks for new cover printing feature :) 4 points left :)