Sign in to follow this  
Snowfall

[C] Secure erase is not that secure or complete

I am using CDBurnerXP 4.3.5.2256, with a ASUS DRW-2014L1 (I don't think this is a drive-specific problem, but I mentioned my configuration anyhow). A secure erase on a DVD-RW 4x-max-write-speed lasts about 2 minutes, and I am 99.9% sure not all written data on the DVD is cleared - so the functionality of this option is not that of a full erase. I get the same kind of behaviour with CD-RW erases too. This could be a StarBurn issue, but I'm hoping it's not and you can solve it. Thank you! :)

How much data has been burned on the disc? It will almost certainly be a StarBurn error.

I'd recommend you to do the following: Burn as much data as possible to the DVD, then restart CDBurnerXP and create a log file of the "full" erase process.

http://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/18

Send it to me and I'll forward it.

The "full" erase process lasts about 2 minutes regardless of how much data is present on the DVD-RW or CD-RW. When I first noticed the problem I was full-erasing a DVD-RW with about 3.4 GB of data written in DAO mode.

I've created a logfile using my ASUS DRW-1608P2 unit (which exibits the same behaviour on a full erase), and a DVD-RW with about 4.4 GB of data on it (22.3 MB left free). The total erase time was, again, around 2 minutes.

I've attached the log file in this post. Thank you for all the help :) !

This issue is still not fully resolved in CDBurnerXP 4.3.8.2474... strangely though it does seem to work ok for CD-RW now, the only problem I'm having is with DVD-RW that are not being erased completely even if I select a secure erase (I think that about a CD-sized - 700MB amount of data is cleared each time, regardless of how much data is present on the DVD). Any updates on this? :(