Post by Flo ยป 26 Jul 2010 06:47

>This is not the usual behaviour - you might want to check using CDBurnerXP without AV applications or the like.

Thank you, but not a lot of use if I have to run CDXP without security in place!

[45 seconds to launch today].

Regards

Nordland.

I'll keep it despite this as it honours open multi-session discs produced by other progs. Nero certainly won't continue a multi-session started by CDBurnerXP. It should, but it doesn't!

Regards,

Nordland

Did you at least try to disable "security"?

Yes, it took 1 minute and 44 seconds to launch !

It launches as a process but does not open on the desktop. The second and subsequent launches are OK however.

It's being run as administrator. Could this have something to do with it?

Do you have any disks in your drive(s)? I noticed that when I fire it up, on occasion, with a disk in the drive, it is slow on first start.

Have you run any diagnostics on your hard drive? A hard drive like the WD Greens are painfully slow to wake up and access data. And if the program defaults to an area of the disk that is damaged, it could be using tons of cycles just to get it to figure out what it is doing.

There is no need to run it in compatibility or in admin mode with Windows 7. It works native without problems for 32 or 64-bit. I'm using it in Win7 Bus 64-bit with no troubles other than having to use a text editor to remove the thumbs.db files from my .dxp files before I burn anything with picture files in them. Thankfully they're just modified XML files and are easy to work with.

Is it possible to get us a list or screenshot of the of the processes running on your system when you first start the computer?

Guest Nordland3-Again
Any error logs in %appdata%\Canneverbe Limited\CDBurnerXP ?

No, no error logs in %appdata%\Roaming\Canneverbe Limited\CDBurnerXP

Only settings and two empty (numbered) directories.

1 minute 32 seconds today. :o)

There are two DVD drives and there are no discs in the drives when I launch CDBXP.

Do you have any disks in your drive(s)?

No.

I noticed that when I fire it up, on occasion, with a disk in the drive, it is slow on first start.

This probably happens with any burning application: presumably it's checking the drive and the media in it.

Have you run any diagnostics on your hard drive? A hard drive like the WD Greens are painfully slow to wake up and access data. And if the program defaults to an area of the disk that is damaged, it could be using tons of cycles just to get it to figure out what it is doing.

Yes, I've run the system integrity check - there are no errors. The two drives are Samsung HD103SJs, and although the D: is a bit slow to run up, it's nothing like as slow as these WDs Greens. These drives, and the computer are brand new.

There is no need to run it in compatibility or in admin mode with Windows 7. It works native without problems for 32 or 64-bit.

I'm not actually. It's running native now.

Is it possible to get us a list or screenshot of the of the processes running on your system when you first start the computer?

Could do I suppose if it were necessary. From Task Manager?

Regards,

Nordland.

PS Why do I have to keep changing my username when I post?

Ok, as far as the screen cap is concerned, yes, from the task manager, under the "Processes" tab. I would like to see what programs are running to see if there is an obvious conflict or something that is out of whack.

While the system integrity check is okay for quick usage, I would consider running something more directed and definitive such as SeaTools from Seagate ( http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/suppor ... s/seatools ). Thankfully it works on all hard drives regardless of manufacturer. The only thing I can say about Samsung HDs is that I will never use them again after 4 failures in less than 3 years. I had no survivors.

The only other thing I can think of causing this slow reaction would be an IRQ conflict with the 2 DVD burners. Thankfully, Microsoft has made it virtually impossible to manually change IRQ assignments anymore, so power users can only scream about how easy it used to be! A simple disconnect of one drive and then the other with reboots between them, may also solve the mystery.

Ok, as far as the screen cap is concerned, yes, from the task manager, under the "Processes" tab. I would like to see what programs are running to see if there is an obvious conflict or something that is out of whack.

OK that would mean taking two screen captures because "Processes" is two screens long. It would have to be done after boot as CDBurnerXP works normally after the first 1.5 minute delayed launch - until the first time after the next boot. It would have to be done in the 1.5 minutes between lauching CDBurnerXP and it actually coming to the fore. (?)

While the system integrity check is okay for quick usage, I would consider running something more directed and definitive such as SeaTools from Seagate ( http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/suppor ... s/seatools ). Thankfully it works on all hard drives regardless of manufacturer. The only thing I can say about Samsung HDs is that I will never use them again after 4 failures in less than 3 years. I had no survivors.

:o( Only ever had one HD failure in 20 years and that one went very gradually!

The only other thing I can think of causing this slow reaction would be an IRQ conflict with the 2 DVD burners. Thankfully, Microsoft has made it virtually impossible to manually change IRQ assignments anymore, so power users can only scream about how easy it used to be! A simple disconnect of one drive and then the other with reboots between them, may also solve the mystery.

:o)

Regards,

Nordland.

It doesn't seem to look at or access the two burners AFAIK; at least the LEDs don't light up during the delayed launch.

The second burner is a recent addition, CDBurnerXP behaved the same way when there was only one burner fitted.

I haven't tried another burner programme; perhaps I should.

Regards,

Nordland

inh4rr.jpg

That is what a proper processes tab should look like. This is of my compy. Nothing unneeded or not in use (like Adobe crap clogging up the background processes). Do you have a branded box or is it home built?

No the program doesn't spin up the burner if Windows says there is no disk in the drive. Hence no lights on program startup. It still receives the IRQ assignments from the OS.

I wish hard drives were built like they were 10 years ago. Unfortunately, the only thing people look at anymore is cost per GB rather than MTF data and warranty.

If you want to test another burning program, try infra recorder. I think it is crap and I've never found it to work very well, but some people like it.

Huh? Why is InfraRecorder crap?

Anyway, another reason could be connected USB devices. There have been reports of certain USB sticks or similar "addons" that cause trouble. You might want to remove all unnecessary devices for testing purposes.

I personally don't like it. I said, "I think it's crap". It's a generalization from my past experiences with that program. I haven't tried it in years since I discovered this program. As you can see from my processes tab, I love open source software and various free programs (Inkscape, TrueCrypt, GIMP, Firefox, Zscreen, this one), and use them for business, but that one isn't my cup of tea. InfraRecorder doesn't show status bars correctly, I get sub-standard speeds on verification, and it doesn't support 2 of my burners. But everyone's equipment is different, so it may work for others.

Narrowing down problems, especially with Vista/7 , is really in its infancy, no one bought into Vista unless they needed to, and those spurned by Vista don't realize how much of an improvement 7 is. I really hope Nordland sticks this out, because this could really help the developers and other users avoid a similar situation.

nssnpulsars wrote:

>That is what a proper processes tab should look like. This is of my compy. Nothing unneeded or not in use (like Adobe crap clogging up the background

>processes). >Do you have a branded box or is it home built?

You don't have many processes running! The machine comes from a local computer shop.

Mine is attached. Shots taken while waiting for CDBXP.

>If you want to test another burning program, try infra recorder. I think it is crap and I've never found it to work very well, but some people like it.

I will do so. Thanks.

Regards,

Nordland.

Well that didn't work very well. If not by putting the path between the img delimiters, how on earth

do you post a graphic?

Regards,

Nordland

Nice try, I suggest to use http://tinypic.com/

How cumbersome! I'll have a look.

Meanwhile I installed Infra Recorder. It installed OK but after reboot no desktop icons!!

However, Infra Recorder lauched instantly. CDBXP launched in 6 seconds - a record for CDBXP after a reboot.

Regards,

Nordland

First error I see is that you have 2 antivirus programs running. That is a big no no. You are showing Comodo Internet security and Avast. Uninstall one of them or completely disable one. This could be the problem as to why your are seeing massive delays in the program launching. Secondly, ad-aware is total crap anymore. You actually would actually do better running the built in Windows Defender for adware prevention. It has scored very high on pretty much all benchmark tests I've seen. I like that it is non-intrusive on the system and does its work quietly if you want it to.

Hit the windows key

In the search panel type : msconfig

4iit5t.jpg

Go to the start up tab and kill anything that is not absolutely necessary on start up (google toolbar for example)

345hax0.jpg

Then go to the services tab, select hide microsoft services and disable anything that isn't necessary.

2vmbvo7.jpg

You should reboot your computer from that point. If you find you made a mistake, you can correct it quickly by redoing those steps and just putting the check box back on.

If you did not try it yet, indeed try to disable Comodo. It is a known issue that Comodo "conflicts" with CDBurnerXP.

Also, disable Ad-aware if that does not help and try again.

As the previous poster said, you should be careful not to over-secure your computer. My personal opionion is that you neither need an AV application nor a personal firewall nor an anti-adware tool, but having all of them is too much.

First error I see is that you have 2 antivirus programs running. That is a big no no. You are showing Comodo Internet security and Avast.

As far as I was aware, Commodo was a firewall and Avast an anti-virus. Anyway, I've closed Commodo and AdAware down and now have Windows Defencer, Windows Firewall and Avast running.

Uninstall one of them or completely disable one. This could be the problem as to why your are seeing massive delays in the program launching. Secondly, ad-aware is total crap anymore. You actually would actually do better running the built in Windows Defender for adware prevention. It has scored very high on pretty much all benchmark tests I've seen. I like that it is non-intrusive on the system and does its work quietly if you want it to.

Point taken.

Hit the windows key. In the search panel type : msconfig

4iit5t.jpg

Go to the start up tab and kill anything that is not absolutely necessary on start up (google toolbar for example)

345hax0.jpg

Then go to the services tab, select hide microsoft services and disable anything that isn't necessary.

2vmbvo7.jpg

You should reboot your computer from that point. If you find you made a mistake, you can correct it quickly by redoing those steps and just putting the check box back on.

I've taken a copy of that and will try it later. This is my startup:

dr8mrb.jpg

Regards,

Nordland