I want to kick the "technician" that built your computer right in the teeth. This computer is cluster-f***ed beyond comprehension. They obviously know jack about the well running features that are built right into Windows 7. They are still using Windows XP concepts that are out of date for anything but XP based equipment. And I wonder why I can't find a job in the field I used to be in. Oh that's right, I have the practical experience, but no pieces of paper that say I "might" know what I'm doing.

At the least, Kill Programs:

swg - the google toolbar

quicktime task - Quicktime player

clipX

sunjavaupdater

eraser

comodo

Why do you have VirtuaWin installed? Did you do it, or did they install it to cover up the fact that some of the programs they installed don't work properly in Windows 7? VirtuaWin is very processor intensive since it is nothing more than an emulator of Windows 32 behaviors, which just happens to be built into Windows 7 as the WoW64 engine.

From what I've researched, minimind is nothing more than a task scheduler, again built right into Windows 7 already and functions very well. Also I looked up COMODO, it is both a firewall and antivirus in one. So in fact, you were running 2 antivirus programs.

I sound like a Microsoft fanboy, how irritating!

swg - the google toolbar

clipX

sunjavaupdater

eraser

comodo

Google Toolbar - deleted

QT Player - disabled for the moment

Sun Java Updater - disabled for the moment

Eraser is necessary

Comodo has been uninstalled in favour of Windows Firewall

Why do you have VirtuaWin installed? Did you do it, or did they install it to cover up the fact that some of the programs they installed don't work properly in Windows 7?

I put it in. It is necessary.

From what I've researched, minimind is nothing more than a task scheduler

No, it's a simple daily reminder programme, nothing more. Necessary.

:lol:

I hate to admit it, but with recent versions of Windows you can usually be completely happy with the built-in security features indeed. Do not turn off automatic Windows updates in particular.

BTW, what about my USB devices suggestion?

I want to kick the "technician" that built your computer right in the teeth. This computer is cluster-f***ed beyond comprehension. They obviously know jack about the well running features that are built right into Windows 7. They are still using Windows XP concepts that are out of date for anything but XP based equipment. And I wonder why I can't find a job in the field I used to be in. Oh that's right, I have the practical experience, but no pieces of paper that say I "might" know what I'm doing.

swg - the google toolbar

clipX

sunjavaupdater

eraser

comodo

Why do you have VirtuaWin installed? Did you do it, or did they install it to cover up the fact that some of the programs they installed don't work properly in Windows 7? VirtuaWin is very processor intensive since it is nothing more than an emulator of Windows 32 behaviors, which just happens to be built into Windows 7 as the WoW64 engine.

From what I've researched, minimind is nothing more than a task scheduler, again built right into Windows 7 already and functions very well. Also I looked up COMODO, it is both a firewall and antivirus in one. So in fact, you were running 2 antivirus programs.

nssnpulsars,

I totally agree W/you Brother!!! You were all over that sucker!

I'd like for you to contact me and I'm not sure how to share how.... I do have this thread marked to notify me when you respond. So, give me a poke when you can.

I hate to admit it, but with recent versions of Windows you can usually be completely happy with the built-in security features indeed. Do not turn off automatic Windows updates in particular.

Amen to that. And do look into possible conflicts with USB like those U3 flash drives or card reading printer/fax/scan/copy/everything but the kitchen sink machines. My final advice for performance. Since you use virtualization, check your bios to see if you have the option to allow the extensions in your processor to assist virtualization. It should be a simple yes/no option in the bios. My AMD is listed as: Allow AMD Virtualization - Yes/No .

And to neighborole: if you add: at gmail dot com to my name here, you can reach me directly.

OK folks, Share time... These kinds of problems can make you insane!

Nordland,, take a deep breath and shake your "Willy's" off. Believe me, when you finally crack this nut, it'll be the best feeling ever, well maybe not ever....

I 've been doing this stuff for a long time "74" and I still feel like rookie some days.

I'm just going to through some key concerns out here and Flo and Seamen Pulsars, please chime in and or fire back.

* Acronis stuff, Monitor for True Image Bkup Explorer and the Acronis Scheduler Helper and assistant Helper Bee.... Man, at least turn those suckers off for a little while. Also I question (Nordland) if he is using their online backup service,,, if so, they like to keep shaking each others hand a lot.

* This one goes back for a long time, no matter if it was Nero or Rox in their heads software.... AND I'm sure some get away with it.

BUT, if you have 2 CD or DVD drives, it's a bad policy to have them both on the same controller leg. So if there are, split them out. One on the primary N the other on the secondary.

* And yes, like nssnpulsars said, Google Tool Bar Notifier = GONE! forever Man. Hell you might as well install Google Earth and warm your hands against the glow of your Hard Drive light.

* What with all of the Schedulers, Reminder's,Timers, Remeberer's.... If you are going embrace that stuff, then stay intimate with them by routinely checking their schedules, even Symantec, to make sure their not getting out of hand and wanting to go potty every 3 minutes!

* Keep an eye on your Hard drive light... Is it getting the hell kicked out it??? Too much Bad I/O=MUCH BAD.

*I've switched from AVAST to Avira last winter and it was good. The best heuristic analyzer's on the market and a smaller foot print.

* Lastly, approx. 2.5 Gazillion IT people have finally had it with Adobe. that group has lost it's way and those of us that are trying to maintain a controlled level of configurations at the client level has finally hit wits end.... Seems like Adobe has attention starved and is never happy with the it looks in mirror. Don't believe me? check out the reviews Adobe's own site. THEN consider one I've found, Foxit Reader. It's still free, has a much smaller foot print and will blow Adobe away. Most importantly it's happy how it looks and won't be bugging you to ALWAYS RUN to the powder room for updates.

I counted at least 4 occurrences of the Adobe infestation.

I offer these for consideration in addition to the work offered up by Flo and nssnpulsars. Keep your Stick on the Ice.

That was a suggestion to fix a problem which has been fixed! Commodo has gone, and the problem is solved. CDBXP was very slow to

launch again today, but as I tried to launch it while copying a large file to a DVD-RAM, that was understandable - they hold everything up.

Regards,

Nordland.

Amen to that. And do look into possible conflicts with USB like those U3 flash drives

I always get rid of the U2 software on any flash drive that comes with it loaded before I start using it.

or card reading printer/fax/scan/copy/everything but the kitchen sink machines.

I have an HP PSC device - only switched on when required. It's far too useful for me to worry about whether its software or hardware may cut my boot time by a fraction of a second.

My final advice for performance. Since you use virtualization, check your bios to see if you have the option to allow the extensions in your processor to assist virtualization. It should be a simple yes/no option in the bios. My AMD is listed as: Allow AMD Virtualization - Yes/No .

May be worth looking into although the virtualisation works well provided I switch off auto XP updates. First update crashes the virtualisaion after reboot, so it may be worth checking the BIOS, although I tend to leave it well alone most of the time. It's an Award F2.

Regards,

Nordland.

Having said that the slow launch of CDBXP was at an end, this morning it had reverted to its previous behaviour, taking 1 minute 33 seconds to launch. This is after quite a few days of normal behaviour.

I'll now look into what may else may be conflicting with CDBXP other than the late departed Commodo. Unless anyone has any other ideas.

Regards,

Nordland

I'm running out of ideas short of a hardware failure of either a large bad sector on the hard drive or RAM that is bad. This is overcomplicated by the fact I can't see or work directly with the computer.

There shouldn't be any software conflicts at this point. Check your /program files (x86)/ for any leftover files from Comodo or any of the other programs you removed.

Having said that the slow launch of CDBXP was at an end, this morning it had reverted to its previous behaviour, taking 1 minute 33 seconds to launch. This is after quite a few days of normal behaviour.

I'll now look into what may else may be conflicting with CDBXP other than the late departed Commodo. Unless anyone has any other ideas.

It now looks like Avast was getting the way as well. I've taken Avast off and put Avira on, fingers crossed that this finally solves the problem.

Regards,

Nordland.

I had to to turn off the built-in security features, Avira install insists that Windows Defender is turned off.

My final advice for performance. Since you use virtualization, check your bios to see if you have the option to allow the extensions in your processor to assist virtualization. It should be a simple yes/no option in the bios. My AMD is listed as: Allow AMD Virtualization - Yes/No .

I've checked it. Virtualisation Technology is enabled.

Regards,

Nordland.

I'm really surprised Avast was conflicting. Unless, that was caused by not disabling the program while CDBurnerXP was being installed. That could be the case because CDBurnerXP does require access to Windows itself to operate (like all burning programs) and Avast was slowing them down because they appear to be operating like a virus does.

Avira performs all the features of Windows Defender so it isn't a big deal if it turns Defender off. You still have the same protection. Hopefully this is an end to the nightmare.

I'm really surprised Avast was conflicting. Unless, that was caused by not disabling the program while CDBurnerXP was being installed. That could be the case because CDBurnerXP does require access to Windows itself to operate (like all burning programs) and Avast was slowing them down because they appear to be operating like a virus does.

Avira performs all the features of Windows Defender so it isn't a big deal if it turns Defender off. You still have the same protection. Hopefully this is an end to the nightmare.

Unfortunately it isn't. It's still taking up to 2.5 minutes to launch, so I'm now going to go down the USB road ...

The security is now all MicroSoft.

I wrote:

>Unfortunately it isn't. It's still taking up to 2.5 minutes to launch, so I'm now going to go down the USB road ...

It was in fact a USB problem.

There is a device called a "Muzee App" which comes on a USB key and gives access to just about every radio station on the Net. This was preventing CDBXP launching on the Windows-7 machine as well as on another XP machine.