Sign in to follow this  
AndreL

Disc spanning that can be edited

Make it possible to organize/edit the file/folders that will be burnt to disc in the spanned series before the discs are made.

I think this will make the program the the great.

Organization ... I have a tone of movies about 3 2GB Drives 2 1TB Drives 3 500GB Drive full of movies and I love your Disc spanning feature cause I can select a group of files/folders and have all of them burned with out going through the process that I describe before on a past post.

First I selected the file/folders in the program (pack'em in) it shows me how to arrange the files on a series of spanned dic. (so no drag an drop files/folders like yours).

Then I'd click "process" button (in the program) for it to put the files/folders through and algorithm for them to take up the most disc space.

Then I'd take Nero which is a great burner (Next to this yours) then in Exploer I would again distinctively select the files/folders that the program told me to select for that disc to be burned.

Drag-n-drop them to Nero

Burn the disc ... check it out manually (no cd check or anything)

Delete the Files in IE and start all over again with the next collaboration of files/folders that pack'em in said would fit on disc taking the max disc space.

With a feature of being able to organize files/folder being spanned on disc that would cut so much of that cut time need to organize and crating of discs down.

I was about to custom make my own program then I saw the price to do that and looked around and saw yours besides many users get movie files (avi,mpg,mov and mkv... etc) music (mp3,wav, and wma) and other types of media off the Internet.

Hard drives get full fast and its complicated to search for and find files/folders so that the similar ones can be grouped to be burned on the same disc.

Also I have another program that helps me keep track of the hundreds of DVD I have full of movies. (Encase you were wondering how I keep all the discs organized)

So please give my idea some consideration cause with the disc spanning ... your half way their (for being the perfect program ...In my book)

Oh yea add a Disc spanning quick button ;)

I still do not quite understand. What would you like to organise? And how? Are you unsatisfied with the way CDBurnerXP spreads the files on the discs?

No I like the way you have the feature where if you drag-n-drop multipule files/folders to the program and if its over 4.7 or the size of the media your using you can enable disc spanning where it take the collection you droped in a spreads it across many disc.

Here is further explanation

Explain in what way of organizing the files/folders. Two words

"User preference"

I thought of a way to compare it to a regular burning program but the only problem with that is it only burns one disc at a time.

Your able to put what you want on that "one" disc being burned

but with cdburnerxp it allow you to put them on a span disc if its over the media size, what I'm suggesting is allow the user do drag-n-drop within the program its self, having the user put the files/folder on what disc they want in the spanning of disc about to be burned.

If you need more explanation just post.

I understand that you want to customise after disc spanning, but how?

Usually, there won't be much space left on the discs, so you don't actually have a lot of margin for customisation. So I wonder how useful such a feature could be. Currently, it does not seem very useful.

Have it when you click "disc spanning" have the program present you with a windows of a layout of how it will burn the files/folders to the series of discs,

and enable it where the user can edit (drag-n-drop) where and which disc the files/folder will be burned on.

And yes in some situations the user will have to put less data on the disc to get the wanted layout of the disc.

On a post I describe what I do to get the process of how I burn my movies to disc

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5014

It is this one

Re: [C] Span large files across CD-Rs or DVD-Rs on the fly

by AndreL ยป Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:46 am

Usually, there won't be much space left on the discs, so you don't actually have a lot of margin for customisation. So I wonder how useful such a feature could be. Currently, it does not seem very useful.

Also how else would know what on the disc of course, beside putting the disc back in and making note of whats on the disc. But of course what if you have span up to 10 15 disc yeah you'll have to keep track of the disc but having the program tell what will be burned on what disc is much easier.

It very useful, when you burn a dics, how do you burn it. Do you just grab a bunch of files and you don't care whats on the disc and just burn it ... no ... well lets say that I don't. I put each and every file/folder on the disc cause it similar in some way to the other files/folders on the disc. And if the file/folder doesn't fit put it on the next disc, if the user want to get the order they want.

Lets say your got a bunch of movies that are in a series. Rocky 1 2 3 4 5 and Terminator 1 2 3 4. When you need space on your HD and so you want to burn those movies to disc. Your not going to put Rocky 2 with Terminator 2 and 4 cause they fit together on a disc so well. No, your going to put Rocky 1 movie with the rest of the series.

Imagen not having just those two series of move but a couple of HD in the TB range full of movies. Some movies not just in a series, but some that relate to each other in someway.

Hm...making them editable is certainly not impossible, but would require quite some additional coding on my side. Don't expect that to be done very soon.

However, the next version will add an option to sort files by folder and should ensure a more coherent layout.

This is just to give you and Idea to further explain the grouping feature that I posted about before. Also when I said "File/Folder" I was really was talking about moving folders while in the program CDBurnXP interface. Cause if you wanted to move files just move them in IE.

cdburnxpcurrentsettings.png

cdburnxpgrpfeat.png

In the 1st pic it show the default way of groping files by size that is of course T2 (127 min) is shorter than Rocky 1(119 min) but for this ... lets say it is.

A feature to allow you to move folders through the series of spanned disc would be great. (2nd pic)

If you run across this post, post your opinion.

Mh...though you'd need also indicators for the disc capacity and free space, as well as folder sizes to be useful. I'll keep it in mind, but as I said it won't happen quickly since it's a good amount of work.

Hey Flo, just wondering hows that Disc spanning editing feature. Don't wanna come off sounding to desperate but I really really need this, cause my movie collection is by far ridiculously large. This would just make backing them up to disc so much easier.

Oh yea here an idea for showing space available on the disc

cdburnxpcurrentsettings.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us