floele

New version: 4.3.7 and OpenCandy

I released a new version just now that extends the disc splitting functionality which has been introduced recently, and also improves the file filter functions of CDBurnerXP. This feature wasn't that much useful previously. In particular, you can now use this feature to only add files of a particular type, instead of just changing the file browser view. The filter will be remembered and used on the next start of CDBurnerXP.

j12cn7.png

Also, instead of Ask, we are now trying a cooperation with OpenCandy. What's different with OpenCandy, compared to Ask?

• It does not increase the installer size noticably, since any components that might get installed are downloaded on demand.
  • It doesn't recommend only a single toolbar. There is a broad rage of applications, including one or two toolbars maybe, but also useful applications like TuneUp, Xobni, or Snagit.
  • It's "opt-in", not "opt-out". So you won't get installed software accidentially.
  • Because of the above point, I do not (or rather do not need to) offer setup packages without OpenCandy additionally*.

Feedback is as always appreciated.

*If you believe that it is still necessary to have such an installer, let me know.

Guest Kane3162

Since you will not longer be including a package without the crapbars (i know some find them useful, but I dont use ANY toolbars) is their a page for command line installation switch's so that I can automate it?

I don't understand your needs currently.

An automated installation can always be done and is not related to the contents of the setup packages.

What is wrong with having OpenCandy in the installer? How is it worse than a setup package without?

I don't understand your needs currently.

An automated installation can always be done and is not related to the contents of the setup packages.

What is wrong with having OpenCandy in the installer? How is it worse than a setup package without?

Even if one does not install anything, Opencandy STILL writes files to the disk IIRC.

DrT

Which ones?

Keep in mind though, that the installer will *always* write files to your hard disc, whether or not OpenCandy is included. If you have any particular concerns, feel free to bring them up. I'm quite sure that we can address them.

BTW: Currently 10% of all offers are accepted. Means: 10% of all users seeing that OpenCandy page deliberately choose to install the recommended software. Can't be that bad, can it?

Guest spanish

Nice portable, but could you offer a default installer without open candy? as before.

thanks.

Whatfor do you need it though? I'm somewhat hesitating to publish such an installer, because download sites sometimes decide to mirror it instead of the default package. Fine for opt-out features like Ask, but not so much needed for OpenCandy.

By no start menu shortcuts do you mean that no "CDBurnerXP" folder is created? Nowadays, Microsoft recommends to only add a single entry (no folder) to the start menu, which is implemented that way in the CDBurnerXP installer.

Guest R

I also would like an installer version without OC.

I see no point in including OC dll in the portable version.

This http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/2009/05/opencandy-new-kind-of-adwarespyware.html more or less says it for me I'm afraid.

Also "The recommendations are based on the choice of the developer, but also dynamically scan the users machine, and can take into account factors such as the operating system and the user’s geographical location" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy).

DrT

I see no point in including OC dll in the portable version.

Oops. That's certainly *not* intentional.

This http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/2009/05 ... yware.html more or less says it for me I'm afraid.

This is actually quite biased. See http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ ... ic=18297.0 (I guess it's the same poster, see replies by drapps). The installer has ads - right, but so does my website. OpenCandy does neither match the common definitions for adware nor spyware and is less interested in your identity than my Google Ads.

I'm really having a trouble with the required option to/or not install OC.

I'll explain the problem: I'm integrating the installer into an unattended Windows XP install CD.

At T-13 (13min. before setup ends the installer is run with .cmd "/VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP-"

This made CDburnerXP (with the slim installer) fully installed together with Windows + dotNET3.5SP1 (also integrated).

Now this doesn't work since the OC option is not supported and install will abort after the option message showup.

I would be very gratefull to have slim installers (without OC) to continue integrating them in my setup CD's.

By the way, thanks for your great efforts to the community.

Also "The recommendations are based on the choice of the developer, but also dynamically scan the users machine, and can take into account factors such as the operating system and the user’s geographical location"

DrT

Even this forum you are using right now, does take account of the operating system and user geo location or language, that information is provided by your browser. :lol:

If you're only problem is that a silent setup does not work- not a problem. I'll release a fixed version today. OC is "silent compatible".

Oops. That's certainly *not* intentional.

This is actually quite biased. See http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ ... ic=18297.0 (I guess it's the same poster, see replies by drapps). The installer has ads - right, but so does my website. OpenCandy does neither match the common definitions for adware nor spyware and is less interested in your identity than my Google Ads.

I can block you ads if I chose...and I do .

DrT

If you're only problem is that a silent setup does not work- not a problem. I'll release a fixed version today. OC is "silent compatible".

Thanks a lot; built 2316 installs just fine in silent mode.

Well, just the same way you can block any ads, using a HOSTS file for example. I'm not going to look up the necessary hostnames for you though ;)

Well, just the same way you can block any ads, using a HOSTS file for example. I'm not going to look up the necessary hostnames for you though ;)

Personally, I hope it works out for you. Earlier versions of OC did used to write to the disk, and this time I could not find any evidence of it so doing. I tested under XP and 7. I am not THAT paranoid that I avoid Opencandy-containg programs, but I have a healthy mistrust of them and would much rather not have them at all. Perhaps is something that was remotely useful were offered...who knows?

Regards

DrT

a healthy mistrust of them

That's good, as long as it does not result in paranoia.

Perhaps is something that was remotely useful were offered...who knows?

There are actually a lot of useful applications offered by OpenCandy. As mentioned in my original post.

In any case (@all) please stop calling something adware because it contains ads (in which case your TV program would also be adware) and stop calling something spyware because it submits information related to your computer to the internet (in which case all web browsers are spyware). That's wrong and plain stupid if you insist. If you have specific concerns about OpenCandy, feel free to ask and I will explain them, but I'm not going to engage the naysayers here.

Guest Bol

The filter feature is awesome. It will make backups of specific files easy - im always making "JPG Archive", "ICO Archive", "EXE Archive" DVDs! As for the ads and tool bars, every once in a while I will install one to show support for the creator of the software (I then uninstall it later on when I remember), especially when its in support of a free alternative. Ads don't bother me so long as functionality is there in full!

Hello to the forum,

Flo, I understand that you want to earn some money because you spent a lot of time to develop the programm. For that reason my attention is to spent money for your project, and I did that for a few other freeware programms I am using and will do it for others bit by bit, also your CDBurnerXP (another possibilty is to use your amazon-wishlist - I did so for MP3Tag).

But now I see that you are using OPEN CANDY - and I am upset about this! I don't want any software on my PC I don't need. You say not to call it either ad- or spyware - but it still is. The only difference between classic ad- and spyware and OPEN CANDY is that we here know what it does. Even when I know what OPEN CANDY is made for, I want to have the option to install it or not. I dowloaded CDBurnerXP to burn CD's, not to get suggestions of other software!

So I want to please you to give the users two packages of your brilliant software: one package with the included OPEN CANDY, one package without that OPEN CANDY. Or just give your users the option to enable or not to install OPEN CANDY when they want to install YOUR software! So MediaCoder does, and MediaInfo gives the user the right to download a (hidden) zip-file without OPEN CANDY.

Best wishes,

Nusschen from Bonn, Germany