floele

New version: 4.3.7 and OpenCandy

DrTeeth   

I just wish if people wanted money for their efforts, they would come clean and charge for it.

I frequent a site called Bits du Jour, that daily offers 50% discounts on software. I often buy software I do not need now because of the low price. Gog.com also does the same thing. A low price also means low piracy. Just charge a small nominal amount for all users. I'd be interested as to why this toolbar/open candy thing is so popular with freeware authors.

DrT

floele   
Even when I know what OPEN CANDY is made for, I want to have the option to install it or not.

I believe that you misunderstand how OpenCandy works. You DO have the option to install the software, by default, it won't install anything. OpenCandy itself is not actually installed, so you do not need such an option. OpenCandy is only *extracted* from the setup package (in order to work) and, after the installer has been closed, deleted.

Guest Kane3162   
Guest Kane3162

none-the-less

would still love to see it without the "extra" opencandy, or even charge for it, $2-20...

either way, love it, and while im thinking about it, a right click context menu option for "Convert to ISO" would be wicked sick... I ditched MagicISO but the loss of the right click context menu option and having to do it manually each time is a PITA for .bin/cue files...

Nusschen   

Hi,

OpenCandy itself is not actually installed, so you do not need such an option. OpenCandy is only *extracted* from the setup package (in order to work) and, after the installer has been closed, deleted.

Do I get it right: while I am installing CDBurnerXP, OPEN CANDY will search my hardrive for software (and nothing else?) and then connect to its own servers to send the found informations about my system and then connecting again to my pc to give me any suggestions? What will happen if I am not online during installation? And, when I refuse to install any suggested software, will there be no hint to OPEN CANDY left on my pc, maybe in form of registry entrys or of logfiles or in a CDBurnerXP logfile?

What about a delayed version of CDBurnerXP (a couple of days after release) without OC?

You will offer an installer without OPEN CANDY a few days later after an "OPEN CANDY" release? That would be a possibility for me.

In that case, when I get an OPEN CANDY free software of yours, I will donate for CDBurnerXP, otherwise I am thinking about changing the burning software.

But what about making CDBurnerXP an inexpensive shareware? Maybe a sum between 10,00 EUR to 20,00 EUR?

Best regards,

Nusschen from Bonn, Germany

scribly   

I don't have a problem with OpenCandy, as far as I've seen when checking the system changes and dissecting the installer it doesn't install itself as an automated run program each time windows restarts, doesn't change important system files, and doesn't keep running after the setup has completly finished (and it doesn't seem to be sending anything special to the OC server)

also, you could just pass /nocandy as parameter and it won't show

As for charging money for CDBurnerXP, that would drop the number of people that use it by at least 50% . Even if it was just 0.01 cent. The problem here is caused because most people can't make online payments, and setting up an online pay account or ordering a creditcard is a too big hurdle for a lot of people. This way flo can make a small bit of money without having to lose half of the members that use it.

Sure, this way he might lose 1 to 2% of the people that use it (the overly paranoid part of the community) but it's way better than 50%

floele   
Do I get it right: while I am installing CDBurnerXP, OPEN CANDY will search my hardrive for software (and nothing else?) and then connect to its own servers to send the found informations about my system and then connecting again to my pc to give me any suggestions?

Sort of. Actually, I believe that OpenCandy downloads information from a server like "how do I know if application X is installed on the system?" so that it does not send information about your computer to a server. "Scanning" your computer is only necessary to prevent recommendations for applications that are already installed.

What will happen if I am not online during installation?

If no recommendations can be made, OpenCandy won't be shown.

And, when I refuse to install any suggested software, will there be no hint to OPEN CANDY left on my pc, maybe in form of registry entrys or of logfiles or in a CDBurnerXP logfile?

There will be a registry key left, so that OC knows that it has been used on the computer. This key does not do any harm though (see http://www.opencandy.com/faqs/#opencand ... ry-entries).

You will offer an installer without OPEN CANDY a few days later after an "OPEN CANDY" release? That would be a possibility for me.

I will consider that, right.

But what about making CDBurnerXP an inexpensive shareware? Maybe a sum between 10,00 EUR to 20,00 EUR?

Nope. Will only result in people complaining and requesting refunds if something does not work. Even now, as CDBurnerXP is free, occasionally I am confronted with such demands. Also, I believe that making CDBurnerXP sharware would kind of destroy it.

Guest FireStorm2   
Guest FireStorm2

donation version w/o OC?

thats the simplest way I can think of, minimum $2USD (or whatever)...

and keep the regular version full of OC...

scribly   

Good idea. People that don't want to have OC in their installer would never accept one of the offers it advertises anyhow, so there would be no loss of income. (actually some gain)

Nusschen   

Hi Flo,

thank you for xour quick answer on my e-mail!

Will only result in people complaining and requesting refunds if something does not work. Even now, as CDBurnerXP is free, occasionally I am confronted with such demands.

OK, that's a potent argument!

Also, I believe that making CDBurnerXP sharware would kind of destroy it.

OK, maybe you are right, because people will not pay anything for something, because they have no respect for the authors work and his running charges. They like it more to get software like OPENCANDY... they don't ask... My question (not to the forum - in general) is, how far this politic goes - you know, that here in germany we speak of the governments plan to use a "regierungstrojaner" (for the non german speaking readers: a trojan made by the government to spy out peoples pc).

OK, I will not go too far with this discussion: I wuld be happy and satisfied if you will offer an totally OPENCANDY free version of CDBurnerXP for the paranoid users like me ;-). Then I will show my recognition for your great work!

Best regards, Nusschen from Bonn

floele   

Thanks for posting despite the efforts ;)

Well, I hope that you don't really want to compare a trojan with OpenCandy. I could probably resort to illegal activies to make more money than within legal opportunities, but that's not what I intend to do.

I have yet to consider how I can offer an OC free version, but I guess it will be possible somehow.

Guest FireStorm2   
Guest FireStorm2

im still down for the Donation version... donate get OC free CDBXP...

Simple, wont alienate (almost) anyone... AND PROFITS!!!

The question is how to make it so people just cant pop it out in the open... maybe email auth on install or something like that (increase in size a tiny bit i know but since I used the increased ASK installer for so long not knowing there was an ASK free version, I am TOTALLY ok with that)

Guest FireStorm2   
Guest FireStorm2
Sounds like selling to me. I'll rather find a different solution.

It sucks that you see it that way, as a long time user of no2chem works (READ: expert in WindowsMobile work's), his "donator control panel" was a great thing to have, and considering it had all the SAME versions that where FREE but didnt have the ad-ware supported install pages, I hardly consider that "selling" last I looked it doesn't even qualify as donationware... (yep looked again at a "broad" sales/donationware definition, doesn't qualify because no functionality is lost/added by having the donator version since OC is not defined as being a "function" of your software)

but to each his own, some of us want a OC free version and we are just trying to help you out with thoughts and suggestions, if you actually jump on them is entirely in your court, but you did mention making an OC free version if there was want for one, and again, we are trying to throw out suggestions on how to accomplish this

floele   

You'll get such a version with the next release, but for free.

(Funny to see how people actually check the definition of "donationware" but give a shit about how spyware and adware are defined :) )

DrTeeth   
You'll get such a version with the next release, but for free.

(Funny to see how people actually check the definition of "donationware" but give a shit about how spyware and adware are defined :) )

Language is a very funny thing and definitions can be bent to mean anything. For example, a year or so ago the UK government ran some anti-smoking radio ads, citing the number of 'smoking related deaths' a year. I have no doubt at all that every death of every smoker (even if they had been smoking for >90) would be treated as a 'smoking related death'...pure BS of course.

Personally, in these days of more and more info being collected and stored, people do get paranoid...myself included.

Regards

Guy

Guest Phil2010   
Guest Phil2010

There are so many dump people around the Web. Give them Windows for free and they still won't stop whining.

"I'm paranoid" :) C'mon man, your browser sending more information to servers than any spyware/adware. Agreed? No? Take a look at google analitycs.

Spyware is a MYTH!

DrTeeth   
There are so many dump people around the Web. Give them Windows for free and they still won't stop whining.

"I'm paranoid" :) C'mon man, your browser sending more information to servers than any spyware/adware. Agreed? No? Take a look at google analitycs.

Spyware is a MYTH!

It is not a myth. I can control what my browser sends, and being paranoid, I operate with an encrypted VPN most of the time...many dirt cheap deals around. I can be unbreakabley untraceable if I so wish.

DrT

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Flo, by using an opt in, you are doing much better than before, however the toolbar itself is even worse than ask.com.

Just take a look at this excerpt of the site's privacy policy:

We (OpenCandy, Inc.) know that you care about how your personal information is used and shared, and we take your privacy seriously. By visiting our website at http://www.opencandy.com (“opencandy.com”), or using any of our services or products, including the OpenCandy recommendation network, you acknowledge that you accept the practices and policies outlined in this Privacy Policy.

This Privacy Policy covers our treatment of personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) and other information we gather when you are accessing opencandy.com or when you use our services. This policy does not apply to (and we are not responsible for) the practices of companies that we do not own or control or to individuals we do not employ or manage. When utilizing third party sites or software products, you should read the relevant privacy policies of those providers for information regarding their privacy practices.

The rest of it get's even worse!

If you are going to look for a different service, I suggest you read the privacy policy (and TOS if they have one) first.

floele   

There is no toolbar. OpenCandy is not a toolbar. OpenCandy does not recommend a toolbar. Period.

As for the TOS: What's so bad about it? I don't seem to get your point.

DrTeeth   
There is no toolbar. OpenCandy is not a toolbar. OpenCandy does not recommend a toolbar. Period.

As for the TOS: What's so bad about it? I don't seem to get your point.

The point is that your privacy policy over-rides OpenCandy's...and that is just one difference. Their policy could say the info is safe, but your's might say that the info is for sale to the highest bidder. I am NOT saything that that is the case...but it could be...

As I said earlier, I do not trust privacy policies or mission statements for that matter.

DrT

floele   

Erm, that doesn't make any sense though. If you only consider OC's privacy policy bad, because I could override it, it would mean that you don't have any trust in my policy (and that is, in CDBurnerXP) and you shouldn't even be here on the forum and posting ;)

DrTeeth   
Erm, that doesn't make any sense though. If you only consider OC's privacy policy bad, because I could override it, it would mean that you don't have any trust in my policy (and that is, in CDBurnerXP) and you shouldn't even be here on the forum and posting ;)

You asked for views on OC and if there should be an OC free version. You are fielding every argument against OC. You should not have said you would consider the matter if you plainly don't. There would not be this discussion if you would just get off your OC fanclub platform.

DrT