floele

New version: 4.3.7 and OpenCandy

floele   
You should not have said you would consider the matter if you plainly don't.

I do, and I have already agreed on providing a package without OpenCandy.

You are fielding every argument against OC.

If anyone would bother to give some serious concerns maybe. So far, I'd rate the concerns as either slightly paranoid or just wrong. It seems like (compared to Ask) the fewer concerns there are, the harder people try to make some up. (This is just the impression I get, does not necessarily represent the truth.)

Guest a manly man   
Guest a manly man

The people whining about OC are the vocal minority. I wouldn't bother catering to them. Their discontent is based on either misinformation or emotional whim, the latter of which should not receive any sort of consideration at all.

My recommendation would be to enumerate some common misconceptions about OC. Add some sort of "Why OpenCandy?" or "What is OpenCandy?" link on your downloads page, and call it a day.

By the way, I personally remove OpenCandy on my end. I decompress your installer and remove localization and OpenCandy. Then I change some of the post-setup logic and the icon structure (I put the start menu icon in a common "CD-DVD" group that is shared by other applications). I do this with the MSI as well for network deployment. De/compression times aside, it takes less than 5 minutes to do all of this. Case in point, there is absolutely no reason for you to cater to administrators that claim to have some esoteric need for you to take a potential revenue hit.

Guest Phil2010   
Guest Phil2010

Flo, let me buy out all rights and source for your project, I'll keep OpenCandy and shut down this forum with same crap in every message :)

DrTeeth   
The people whining about OC are the vocal minority. I wouldn't bother catering to them. Their discontent is based on either misinformation or emotional whim, the latter of which should not receive any sort of consideration at all.

My recommendation would be to enumerate some common misconceptions about OC. Add some sort of "Why OpenCandy?" or "What is OpenCandy?" link on your downloads page, and call it a day.

By the way, I personally remove OpenCandy on my end. I decompress your installer and remove localization and OpenCandy. Then I change some of the post-setup logic and the icon structure (I put the start menu icon in a common "CD-DVD" group that is shared by other applications). I do this with the MSI as well for network deployment. De/compression times aside, it takes less than 5 minutes to do all of this. Case in point, there is absolutely no reason for you to cater to administrators that claim to have some esoteric need for you to take a potential revenue hit.

So you go to the trouble of removing OC but complain about the people who cannot do that and don't want it? There are words for people like you, but I shall not sully the forum with them.

DrT

Guest a manly man   
Guest a manly man

Were it not for the fact that I already modify the installer, I would not be removing OpenCandy. There is no good reason for it to be removed from an end user perspective, so therefore there is no good reason for you to demand that he remove it. By removing it for you, he would be taking an unnecessary risk of losing revenue as other users that might benefit from OC download the non-OC version because they're misinformed about it ... likely from people like you.

If you're going to pretend that OpenCandy is an affront to your CDBurnerXP installation experience, then simply refrain from opting in. If that doesn't resolve your issue, then you're simply being unreasonable. That is, unless you're willing to actually present a tangible negative impact that results from the presence of OpenCandy. From where I'm sitting, it appears that your qualms are nothing more than emotional, which is a personal issue, not a measurable deficiency in the program or its installer. In other words, get over it.

floele   

For the moment, can we just get back to the main discussion?

Currently, it looks like OpenCandy works really well, at least from the revenue point of view. Much better than Ask, and less obstrusive. I will most likely continue to use OpenCandy in the future, so we should focus the discussion on how to make the OpenCandy integration as much acceptable as possible.

For now, I provide a delayed (a couple of days) OC free version of CDBurnerXP.

Guest FireStorm2   
Guest FireStorm2

While it does suck, thanks i guess...

would still love to see a donation version... OC free only... but looks like not...

anywho, where would you be posting the OC free version? I have your main page and download page bookmarked and would like to update them accordingly (well the DL page at least)

Just registered to tall you about the majorly bad decision youve made to use "OpenCandy"

Cannot download the OpenCandy free version though its listed

The ask toolbar was bad enough, but now youre introducing riskware to users.

The name OpenCandy should be a sign straight up that its to be avoided, making it sound all fluffy bunny while it spys on users.

I only started using CDBurnerXP a few months back after a recommendation (and a warning about the Ask toolbar crap)

Seemed a great program, but yeah im not willing to take a risk, ill go back to something truly free of ads and risks and toolbars thanks...

floele   

Now it's getting ridiculous. OpenCandy is not riskware (whatever the hell that is) and does not spy on anyone. If you want to complain, give some reasons and not this kind of hate speech. Making me mad, seriously.

Now it's getting ridiculous. OpenCandy is not riskware (whatever the hell that is) and does not spy on anyone. If you want to complain, give some reasons and not this kind of hate speech. Making me mad, seriously.

They openly admit on their site that even if you choose not to take part that they install files on your PC and retrieve and send data from your machine.

Heres the most obvious example

Q: What happens if I do not accept a recommendation?

A: If you do not accept a recommendation, anonymous installer analytics are still collected about the installation of the developer’s software.

My right as a user is to not have that happen, and its not your right to enforce your right over mine by including the software when you know it overrides my right to privacy.

It really is as simple as that.

Of course youre welcome to use a phrase such as "well im not forcing you to use my software", others have done that and they have watched users revolt and move on.

The other choice, that i havent seen so far given much thought, is the choice of a small donation for each install, which i can almost guarantee would work and be better received than an enforced riskware install.

No one here would have any objection if you wanted to include a method of your own design to track installs, but not a third faceless party.

floele   

You seem to believe that "installer analytics" means that once you have executed the CDBurnerXP installer, your PC is being watched and stats are collected. This is not the case. The only data that is collected is whether or not you accept the offer, additionally to your country and some other anonymous data. This is necessary to make OpenCandy work as good as it currently does. After the installer is closed, OpenCandy is finished.

If you don't like it, use the OpenCandy free package. You mentioned earlier that you cannot download this package, but if that is the case, you need to provide more details, because it is actually working fine.

Donations sound nice, but the income is not very high usually.

You seem to believe that "installer analytics" means that once you have executed the CDBurnerXP installer, your PC is being watched and stats are collected. This is not the case. The only data that is collected is whether or not you accept the offer, additionally to your country and some other anonymous data. This is necessary to make OpenCandy work as good as it currently does. After the installer is closed, OpenCandy is finished.

If you don't like it, use the OpenCandy free package. You mentioned earlier that you cannot download this package, but if that is the case, you need to provide more details, because it is actually working fine.

Donations sound nice, but the income is not very high usually.

OpenCandy free is now working but it hasnt been for days, it was giving a 401 - Gone error

Guest Phil2010   
Guest Phil2010
Seemed a great program, but yeah im not willing to take a risk, ill go back to something truly free of ads and risks and toolbars thanks...

Yeah, man :) And what is the name of that risk-toolbar-spyware-paranoidware-free program?

Guest bcdemon   
Guest bcdemon

I just downloaded and installed CDburnXP 4 and I didn't see any options for installing or not installing this OPenCandy stuff.

Does that mean you removed it from your installer or is it a silent install where I wasn't asked anything?

I guess I'll scan my registry while I wait...

Guest BeenBitB4   
Guest BeenBitB4

CDBurnerXP was recommended to me, but issues of what is and is not adware, spyware, etc. means I must simply avoid the entire package if it includes OpenCandy. I've spent too much time before, scrubbing my system of supposedly-harmless baggage included with other apps over the years, and am not easily persuaded that this particular baggage is too light to matter.

shutofy   

Before complaining get a decent firewall and stop outgoing traffic you want to block.

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download

select :Default installer

(Without OpenCandy) 4.48mb

I installed with OpenCandy installer and merely blocked ( with ESS f/wall ) CDBurnerXP installer calling out.

uninstalled and installed without OC installer, no drama.

DrTeeth wrote:

It is not a myth. I can control what my browser sends, and being paranoid, I operate with an encrypted VPN most of the time...many dirt cheap deals around. I can be unbreakabley untraceable if I so wish.

You are in the clouds. You leave a trace whatever you do or use.

people like this are the ones who visit forums i am in for help to rid them of malware etc.

sheeeshh!

Guest gonzal13   
Guest gonzal13

Just to let you know I bought Nero suite. Just found out that it only works for Windows 7 which did not know. Fortunately the new PC I just bought has windows 7.

I had to transfer files to DVD roms for the new PC. Well I called Nero and they gave me a clean up file which worked. I then downloaded the Nero burner trial version. Well I could not get the burner button to work. So I called customer service and asked him if the burner button worked. Well he wanted to send me over to tech service for 1.15 a minute. I then found out the trial version would not burn. Then I found on my control panel that somehow Nero suite appeared and the trial version, but this time the removal tool did not work!. I called back and explained my dilema and they wanted to transfer me to tech service! I do not call this good service and hope that your company des not work this way.

I found your site for xp pro and downloaded the program.

Joe Petryshyn

gonzal13@roadruner.com

Guest Midtoon   
Guest Midtoon

Thank you for your work and for sharing with the community. The preceding discussion is an illustration of the fact that some human beings are so pretentious that they believe that withholding their recognition of your talent is an actual treath.

I say let them be. So far, the product seems to work fine, and the price can't be improved upon. If the naysayers are so good, why are they here and not developing their own versions tailored to their special needs?

Good luck with this and any other projects you may be involved with.

Thank you Flo.

It's funny to see all the crap about malware treatening their PCs. There are 2 sorts of people saying this: some "advanced" paranoids, and those that don't understand what it is all about, but had heared something from those "advanced" (or media).

What amuses most is that those who consider themselves "advanced" and use such words as VPN and firewall, still seem to fail to understand what do they confront to.

They say "I don't want to execute code on my PC that does something I don't understand".

Well, do they understand what your code internally does?

They seem to divide the software to those they trust and those they don't. They seem to trust your software. That's good. But do they trust the software that you use to create the installer for your software? OK, it's open-source. Do they trust the software that you use co compile your program? The library that is the back-end of cdburner xp? Do they even know which one do you use? Do they even think about it? And they should, if they want to be consistent.

They don't trust you when you tell them what the software does. Why? On the basis that (1) you are not its author, and (2) the software does something that some malwares do. For their information, any windows malware loads kernel.dll - please get rid of all the programs that do that! And the cd burning library that you use is also created by someone else, you use it relying on the information about what it does that was provided by its authors.

They say "I don't want a software to scan my computer for installed software".

Don't ever use no installers! They all do this scary kind of things!

Never use antivirus software! It not only scans for software, it touches every file on your PC!!! (And it connects so some sites, to make things even worse!)

Don't look at the "Add/remove software" wizard, otherwise you may incidentally scan your installed software yourself!

It's not that bad if any software on your PC knows which programs are installed on your PC, unless it tells this information to someone else...

They say "I don't want a software to send information about me to someone else".

Well... I hope they understand what information is contained in an IP packet. In a TCP packet. In an HTTP request... you got the idea. Don't use Internet.

You should understand what information you want to stay private, and why. You can only stay "unbreakably untraceable" if you sit in a closed bunker without any electronic devices with you (and without any means of communications, including Internet). You are told which kind of information is being sent. It's the info about what country you are in, and what software (from the advertiseable repertoire) is NOT installed on your PC (there may be algorithms implemented that only tell about ONE such software). Why would you consider this disclosure harmful? The software that is NOT on your PC does NOT introduce any security flaws that may be exploited. It does NOT enable anyone to intrude your machine. It can NOT compromise your security, nor can it be a sign of you breaking a law (e.g., software piracy).

Would you object to be presented with a hardcoded advertising banner in the installer? If you would, then you don't respect the author's right to make his living.

Would you object if the banner is not hardcoded, but is randomly supplied by a internet server (without sending any info to it)? If you would, then why? Extra Internet traffic? Wait, you have just downloaded the installer! Extra dosen of kilobytes???

The only difference that is present here is that you will _not_ be presented a banner that advertises a software you already installed. That's it.

And you know the word "firewall", what are you afraid of? Use one that lets you control the outgoing traffic, and be happy!

They say "I don't trust the statements that the authors of the software make".

Why?

Because you just like to suspect anyone in an unlawful behaviour? Don't think anyone is like you.

Because you think it looks like another software you know of? Well, most people using cdburner xp have previously used another cd burning software. That software was (in a sense) like cdburner xp, but, you know, it _is_ somewhat different. That's why you make choices, right? Because different things are different!

Because sometime in the past the software maker did something you don't like? Well, then, think microsoft or sony :)

There are so many things they can use to check if the software keeps its promises, like sysinternals progmon, or wireshark. They can check it and after that, try to prove their concept. But they just keep trying to convince you that you don't understand what you use.

There exist healty cautious people (like alexsupra) who objected against the use of ask, but after you have chosen the safe alternative, they agreed that it's OK.

And there exist people that are not geeks, but who are still afraid of this kind of software. They cannot (and need not) be that much competent in hacking to be able to assure the safe computing. Well, you, "advanced paranoids", please, stop misguide everyone around you! People should be careful, but they need not be paranoid like you!

Well, now to my concern.

When using the installer with the OC, I see the last page (with the advertisement) that, I think, should be redesigned.

1. The advertisement (translated from Russian) says something like this: "The CD Burner XP recommends you the following software: ".

I'm afraid that some people may have the feeling that the installer have detected the missing software that is needed to run CD Burner XP, and so may be misguided by this ad. Is it possible to make the nature of the ad be more prominent?

2. The button below the ad says "Install". Though the radiobuttons above it control the installation of the advertised software, one may think that the button applies to the advertised software (not the CD Burner itself). Despite it will add an extra page to the wizard, maybe it's better to add the page after the ad with something like the install summary and the "Install" button, and change the aforementioned button text to "Next", just to avoid the confusion?

Keep on the great work!