floele

New version: 4.3.7 and OpenCandy

My case is simple, and has simple solution. (Apart from not install XPBURNER - like yours) :wub:

When installing CDBurnerXP without notice off Open Candy My XP crashed twice. :ph34r:

At the third ocasion " I had lost the conection to internet and had to reinstall my system." :lol:

What happened :?:

This is the answer:

I Was having a trojan in my computer before try to install your HIDDEN FRIEND --->> OPEN CANDY <<<--

and the trojan don't let OpenCandy to make his dirty tricks. My "trojan" gets offended and then

it fooled my XP installation and made the system crash and caused a irrecoverable internet conection.

Whats my fault to have a trojan like this, (Yes i had an antivirus and a firewall, but it failed to eliminate

the trojan - i will change my security system after this- ).

But yours fault is not to tell me that:

we are installing "Sweet" OpenCandy on your system;

and we do that with hidden operations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was not solution, but reinstalling..

Many thanks:

Now I have a clean system without trojans and without OpenCandy, and new antivirus and firewall.

Pd.: I'm not paranoid, it is a Real case

------ >>> Not all the antivirus are infalible, and Open Candy is not the best friend for your computer.

Conclusions:

OpenCandy is a bad program, .............

.............................................. is a bad company for CDBurnerXP,.........

......................................................................................................and my antivirus was a bad antivirus (ceased).

floele   

Well, first of all, you can neither blame me nor OpenCandy for a trojan corrupting your system. I consider it highly unlikely that the trojan just waited for an OC bundled software to crash your system. Unless you have some proof here (like details on what trojan you had), I consider the timing a coincidence and nothing else.

Furthermore, OpenCandy is not being hidden, if it gets the chance to display (which was not possible because of the missing internet connection), you will be asked whether or not to install additional software, not even defaulting on agreement here. If it cannot access the internet, OC will neither show up, nor install anything alongside CDBurnerXP.

And last but not least, you can also download CDBurnerXP without the OC component integrated.

Joey   

That's good, as long as it does not result in paranoia.

There are actually a lot of useful applications offered by OpenCandy. As mentioned in my original post.

In any case (@all) please stop calling something adware because it contains ads (in which case your TV program would also be adware) and stop calling something spyware because it submits information related to your computer to the internet (in which case all web browsers are spyware). That's wrong and plain stupid if you insist. If you have specific concerns about OpenCandy, feel free to ask and I will explain them, but I'm not going to engage the naysayers here.

Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package which automatically renders advertisements. These advertisements can be in the form of a pop-up.[1] They may also be in the user interface of the software or on a screen presented to the user during the installation process. The object of the Adware is to generate revenue for its author. Adware, by itself, is harmless.

I see no reason to complain whatsoever about Adwares, they serve their purpose and thus I cannot argue much with the fact that OC does contain Adware.. But like stated, they cause no harm.

Spyware is a type of malware (malicious software) installed on computers that collects information about users without their knowledge. The presence of spyware is typically hidden from the user and can be difficult to detect. Spyware is often secretly installed on a user's personal computer without their knowledge. However, some spyware such as keyloggers may be installed by the owner of a shared, corporate, or public computer on purpose in order to intentionally monitor users.

I hope this sets it straight guys.

cork1958   

"I see no reason to complain whatsoever about Adwares"

Most ridiculous line I've ever read about ANY PROGRAM!

I'm glad as heck I've been shopping around for a different burning program then and have found one, without that crap Open Candy!!

You can defend and/or recommend this stuff until you're blue in the face and I'm glad you like to install the junk, but as far as I'm concerned, if you're not going to write a version of CDBurnerXP that DOES NOT have Open Candy in it, then I am done with this program! Doesn't matter that even a quick scan with Malwarebytes removes the garbage from this thing, I am definitely NOT going to install something I KNOW has malware in it, whether you prefer to call it malware or not!

Thak you

floele   

if you're not going to write a version of CDBurnerXP that DOES NOT have Open Candy in it

We always had a version without OpenCandy freely available.

And in fact, the current version of CDBurnerXP doesn't use OpenCandy at all (though that may be just temporary). So I don't really understand what you are ranting for.

cork1958   

FWIW,

I just installed the new version of CDBurner without checking here first to see if that goofy Open Candy crap was being added back into the program again and already.

I saw no option to refuse that install. I only heard that Open Candy was being reintroduced on another techie forum, so I immediatley scanned with Malwarebytes and it found nothing. I only did a quick scan but Mbam always found Open Candy just doing that.

So,

Is it included again or not? Guess I'll waste my time and do a full scan with Mbam now and find out.

I do like this program (CDBurnerXP) a lot, but will not use it if I can't remove that Open Candy garbage!!

Edit:

Oops! Didn't see post #107 before posting. :(

Very glad to have seen that! :)

Thank you

floele   

The current version does indeed use OpenCandy again. Though you can always download a version without OpenCandy or refuse the installation of optional software.

Donations unfortunately do not generate a lot of revenue, and on top of that they require me to pay income tax, so compared to the OC income they don't even come close. I'm happy for every donation I got of course, but it's not a viable business model at this point.