Guide for Copying a DVD Video

Thanks for your answer, but this burning app is only for writing images, for what I have read.

CDBXPP is already able to burn images. Why shall I use ImgBurn?

I just wanted to know if UDF support will be comming, or maybe that it is too difficult to integrate OR there is just no interest for UDF support (I dont hope so :? )

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jr2

I'm trying to get my friend Otto set up so he can copy his DVDs on the fly, as he doesn't have enough hard disk space to make an ISO. Does anyone know of a freeware program that can do that? I've looked all over. The DVDs are not copyrighted, so I'd think it'd be simple...but I can't find anything to do it!! I even tried burning the files from one DVD movie to a blank disc, but one was in use, so it didn't go through right.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

:firefox:

• 2 weeks later...

how to you burn a dvd if you have downloaded the movie from limewire... most of them are avi files and one if a mpeg... which program would be easiest to use for a first time user?

• 1 month later...
Guest Jean

Hi MrBefrazzled,

you just put everything in place for everyone to understand that CDBurnerXP Pro cannot be used to copy a DVD-Movie. Thanks :)

Do you know any other free app to burn a DVD-movie ?

Thanks

Jean

• 3 months later...
Guest Roel

This discussion is already a bit old, but as a newbie who simply wanted to copy a video-dvd for the first time, i still had to go over a lot of stuff and spoil some dvd's before i got it done. And finally the whole trick appeared to be: let DVDShrink make an iso image and burn it with CDburnerXP

So, for other newbies like me, could you pleae modify the page http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/videodvd as follows:

- DVDShrink, rip DVDs to hard disk or ISO image. The ISO-Images created by DVDShrink can be burned with CDBurnerXP

If the author of "Guide for copying a Video-DVD" is still reading, it would be nice if he/she could make that same modification in de guide too.

• 1 month later...
Guest patl5ewis@yahoo.com

THIS MAY HELP. BUT, YOU CAN SEND ME THE INFO THAT I REQUESTED.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all. I have been seeing a lot of posts about how to do DVD Video here. I also saw the entry in the FAQ, and just wanted to add my $.05 to straighten some stuff out:

In no case, creating /VIDEO_TS and /AUDIO_TS ever makes a disc into a DVD-Video disc. So, anyone who has these folders ready for burning on their HDD, and expects to create a Data CD/DVD from them that will play back as DVD-Video: Forget it.

The DVD Video format roughly works as follows:

• [*:c1ae1] Both the UDF and the ISO9660 file system specify the location of at least /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO.
    [*:c1ae1] VIDEO_TS.IFO contains offsets (!) to (relevant parts of) VIDEO_TS.VOB, and VTS_0x_0.IFO
    [*:c1ae1] VTS_0x_0.IFO contains offsets (!) to the relevant portion(s) of the VTS_0x_y.VOB files
    [*:c1ae1] All offsets are forward pointers on the disc.

Older DVD players (and many recent ones) do not even use the file system on the disc to find any file except VIDEO_TS.IFO. From there, they just need to use the specified offsets to find the block addresses of the video and all data needed for playback.

This is the sole reason why just dumping VIDEO_TS.* and VTS*.* into a folder called /VIDEO_TS will not play back on most DVD players. Re-allocating the files in any other way than they are designed to be will cause the offsets inside the files to be 'off', and thus will cause playback problems with the disc.

Software like Nero will actually re-allocate the IFO and VOB files and either a) update the offsets inside these files to match the location of the files on disc, or B) allocate the files such that the relative offsets match the disc locations.

For the DVD Video players, the file system on the disc is mostly irrelevant. Not having a UDF filesystem on the disc actually doesn't matter that much to most DVD video players. Almost all support ISO9660 anyway, since they have to read your picture CDs and DivX CDs as well :)

Those DVD players that can play back a data disc with DVD Video files most probably cheat: If the pointers followed from the IFO files lead to insane/bad data these players will probably just use the file system to find the individual VOB files, and hope for the best playing just those.

• 9 months later...

i am so glab to come across your post,actually my reply does not comply with your post.but am using this mediun to ask of somethings that seem to be unclear to me regarding burning.

would you kindly let me know how i could do burn a software to CDs?

i shall be very glad to have your reply.

thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest tra4d

Hi

I tried this method using DVDShrink and CDBurnerXP but the DVD I burned just plays the title over and over. All of the VIDEO_TS files are there and you can play them by clicking on them individual but the menu seems to be messed up and you can' select chapters, etc.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

-Scott

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I wrote a guide explaining how to copy a DVD Video with DVD Shrink and CDBurnerXP Pro.

It is available from: http://www.abacom.com/~oraby/CopyingDvdVideo/

The most interesting features of this guide are:

- List the needed hardware and software

- List many factors to consider when copying DVD Videos

- Details the whole copying cycle, from compressing the movie to burning it on a blank DVD disc.

- The copying cycle only relies on DVD Shrink and CDBurnerXP Pro, two free applications

- It is written in English

- It is access free and without any publicity

Hi, I have tried following this link but it doesn't work - can you please check this for me, Thanks

Levi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So after two years of discussion around CDBurner's poor documentation regarding DVD-Video burning, I find it incredible that they seemingly haven't lifted a finger to help! I have a .avi (or .mkv or .divx) file and I want to create a Video DVD to show on my DVD player. I spend 30 minutes routing around CDBurner's UI, Website, FAQ and Forum and I still don't know how to create a video disc!

The UI is very clear that it doesn't support video discs -- "do you want to create a data disc or an audio CD?" However, in my researches I get the impression (nothing definitive of course) that I can in fact use CDBurner to do this but I think I have to transcode my (pick a format) video file into an ISO image first. Or is it a VOB or IFO or BUP image? CDBurner's ever-so-terse Video DVD Format's page mentions these formats but is entirely silent on how to create them, or what it will do with them once you have them. Is it a 1:1 ration of VOB to DVD's, or can I put several images onto one DVD?

Almost all the links in this forum are broken, including the ones that seemed to hold out hope of an answer. I know, I know, I'm getting exactly what I paid for and I really am grateful for CDBurner for the data discs it can create (though I've ruined at least 2/3 of the DL DVD's I've tried with CDBurner). But if CDBurner really doesn't support creating DVD video discs, it should just come out and say it.

Unfortunately, a video DVD consists of two parts: One part is authoring it (the result would be VOB files for example), and the other part is burning the stuff to disc. CDBurnerXP can only do the latter. In particular, encoding a video is a huge problem, since the codecs are patented and thus cannot be integrated into a free product.

• 1 month later...
Guest GeneralMandible

I use InfraRecorder for burning DVD video. It's still in beta, though. If you want to convert video formats, check out videohelp.com.

Even ImgBurn can burn the VIDEO_TS folder and will generate a fully compatible and playable Video DVD.

I can understand that CDBurnerXP is a burning tool and not a converter, coder/decoder etc. What I don't get is why we don't have an option in the initial window to select creating a Video DVD from already created files! Why hide it? The ability is already there!

hello haveing problems seeing available link. may i have a fresh link to look at? trying to convert media to dvd format for cdburnerxp so i can watch on my dvd player..

thank you

jacyp7719

Hello,

I wrote a guide explaining how to copy a DVD Video with DVD Shrink and CDBurnerXP Pro.

It is available from: http://www.abacom.com/~oraby/CopyingDvdVideo/

The most interesting features of this guide are:

- List the needed hardware and software

- List many factors to consider when copying DVD Videos

- Details the whole copying cycle, from compressing the movie to burning it on a blank DVD disc.

- The copying cycle only relies on DVD Shrink and CDBurnerXP Pro, two free applications

- It is written in English

- It is access free and without any publicity

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

hello all

so i've just copied some home made dvd for a friend, only to realise they don't play on my dvd player!!

since that udf thing is still incompatible, from what i've understand with cdburnerxp, can someone point me out a good & free burning software that will do so?

thanks in advance