Burning Data works with CD-R but not with CD-RW

Guest Bow

Hi,

got Win 98SE running and installed CDBurnerxp Pro3 as Version: 3.0.113. I never had a previous version running. Got a Lite-On 0841 burner.

Now my problem is: When I burn Data on CD-R it works easily. With CD-RW it seems to work even easily, its burning w/out problems, but after that the CD is shown as empty.

I think I got 3 CD-RW ruined by that problem.

I´m burning also one Level lower than shown maximum. In the case of the CD-RW it´s 2x instead of shown 4x. CD-R I burnt 4x instead of shown 8x.

On "burnscreen" I activate "buffer protection", nothing else with CD-RW. With CD-R I activate "buffer protection" and "finalize disc".

I´m really newbie to burning. Am I doing something wrong?

BTW: Thumbs up for that good prog.

Thanks

Yes, you should install ASPI drivers. You need them for burning ;)

Further information you can find on FAQ page/helpfile. BTW, you can't ruin CD-RWs since you can erase them as often as you want.

Guest Bow

Ok, thanks so far,

the ASPICHK by adaptec shows me following installed: APIX.VXD Version 4.6 (1021) and WNASPI32.DLL Version 4.6(1021).

In the Readme-text there is recommended that Apix.vx_ is installed on Win 98. But it isnt? Even after installation prg. running by adaptec.

The Apix.vx_ is in the folder: C:\Adaptec\Aspi as well as readme, ASPICHK, etc...

Is that the right folder? Is it already running?

Thanks

Guest Bow

sorry for posting like berzerk ;)

Now CDBurnerXP gives me following info: there are no compatible CDR drives reported. Some older CDR drives are not currently supported.

After installing of ASPI-installer by adaptec. So do I have to search for new drivers for my CDR drive?

Guest Bow

...so CDBurnerXP does not recognize my burner anymore :(

I knew changing anything would force more trouble than before...

I could not find any driver for Lite-On 0841, only a flash (i think so) named bios_e10_win9x.exe, should I run that?

I never flashed anything before.

thanks and sorry for wasting your time

Yep, you can try flashing. However, I can't guarantee that this helps. You could try to uninstall/install other drivers for your chipset/motherboard, for example using Standard Windows drivers instead of other drivers. You have to experiment a bit with settings.

Guest Bow

thanks,

well, the link is nearly chinese for me :?

But maybe my problem has something to do with this:

On that page for ASPI-drivers there are the four recommended files:

WIN9x/SYSTEM/IOSUBSYS/APIX.VXD

WIN9x/SYSTEM/WINASPI.DLL

WIN9x/SYSTEM/WNASPI32.DLL

and

WIN9x/ASPI2HLP.SYS

OR

WIN9x/SYSTEM/ASPIENUM.VXD

First, I got both files above which I should have one of...

2nd: Aspichk.exe does only detect

APIX.VXD and

WNASPI32.DLL

nothing more... So, after installing ASPI-drivers the second time (and reboot) it´s still the same. What is wrong?

Thanks

Guest Bow

Yes, I did.

tried both Versions, always uninstalled before installed.

But still I have always both of the files above installed, which I should only have one of... I don´t know why...

CDBXP recognizes the burner, but does not burn. the drive just turns up, turns down, etc. and does not stop...An error exits the program, because i have to open the drive to stop spinning on and on.

Well I´ll have a look for other help, thanks so far, I will let you know if i ever solve that s..t

CU

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bow

Ho, I´m back,

same ...., different day.

Now I bought some other CD-RW by Verbatim, but I still can´t burn on that.

Burning process is fine, but CD keeps beeing empty.

It´s really weird: I burn some data on the CD-RW, burning finished, then the same drive, that just burnt the CD, can´t read it. After a long time it recognizes the data as an audio track, which is not playable, of course (0:00 secs).

Why does cdbxp burn the data, so that it´s recognized as an audio track? But only on cd-rw´s...?

No one else having such problems?

Thanks

Guest Bow

sorry, always double-postings *hit myself*,

something weird at cdbxp: when I erase the cd-rw, to give it a new try (just for safety) its shown as empty (I mentioned that ;)), then I erase and its erased by the click but it shows: disc is successfully erased by a time of (hh:mm:ss): 20:18:52.

What does that mean? Is it because I erase an "empty" disc?

thanks over and over again ;)

Well if I burnt over and over again by test-burning I would chop my self apart now, but I did definitly not.

Well I think cdbxp does not like my burner, but why does it burn normal CD-R´s then ? ( btw just 50%, the rest is trash... :roll: )

ok, thats it, thanks anyway.

Bye

Guest Mongo

Would you, by chance, be using Memorex RW disks? I had a lot of problems with them and my Sony DRU 500A, and Roxio EasyCD Creator 6. Several calls to Sony and lots of help with comp savvy friends did no good. Got some TDK CD-RWs, and they worked fine. Recomend doing the firmware update for your burner (the flashing you talked about), and buying some disks from another manufacturer.

Guest Bow

thank mongo,

until now i had some rw´s by octron and now verbatim. Problem is exactly the same.

Ok, i´ll try to flash up my drive, ´till now, i wasn´t brave enough to.. :?