Sign in to follow this  
edkranz

Spanning DVD-R stops after disc 5

Hi,

I am using cdburnxp 4.3.7.2423.

I am trying to burn to a spanned set of 12 DVD-R discs a backup of a 48GB set of files. After dvd disc 5 the "disc required" pop up remains and the burning stops. The new blank disc is detected, but the process stops there. I can cancel and select burn disc from the burn disc pop up, but the same thing happens. This stopping after dvd disc 5 is repeatable.

Additional details are as follows:

The selected burn speed is ignored after the first disc: I selected 4x for the first disc, but the program uses "maximum" after that. (The option to ignore detected drive speed is not presented.)

The "use as few discs as possible" options allows burning up to and including dvd disc 5. (I have "add table of contents to each disc" selected.)

The "do not split folder contents" options reports the need for 12 dvd discs as well, but will not burn. (I have "add table of contents to each disc" selected.)

I have Kaspersky Internet Suite 2011 present, but have added all of the exe files in the cdburnxp folder to the "allowed" list of programs. Cdburnxp would not run correctly at all before adding the exe files to the "allowed" list of programs.

I do not remember if I was able to span beyond dvd disk 5 or not using a previous cdburnxp version.

Thanks for your efforts in making and maintaining this program.

Guest Tea_Age_Graphics

Hi,

I have a similar problem: CDBurnerXP reports my DVD +Rs being too small and stopped after disk 4.

I burn 110GIG on 25 DVDs (Foto archive for a quarter of a year ;-) ) and most disks in the sequence needed me to overburn, which failed.

Now I wonder: is the disk spanning (brilliant feature!) maybe not taking the index file into account (which I selected in the options)?

So that with tons of files on multiple DVDs, the image size is too large to be burned because the index file has gotten to several MB of size (in my case it's 4,2MB)?

Maybe calculate the index file size first so you can take it into account and leave some safety margin?

Slower burning worked here.

It would also be cool to save a sequence at an arbitrary point and continue it later. 25 DVDs will take a while ;-)

Thank you very much!

Thomas

Earlier I reported that

I am using cdburnxp 4.3.7.2423.

I am trying to burn to a spanned set of 12 DVD-R discs a backup of a 48GB set of files. After dvd disc 5 the "disc required" pop up remains and the burning stops. The new blank disc is detected, but the process stops there. I can cancel and select burn disc from the burn disc pop up, but the same thing happens. This stopping after dvd disc 5 is repeatable.

I finally tried making ISO image files first, then burning the ISO's to DVD. The problem I found occurred when using the default span size of 4.7 GB. Some, not all, of the ISO images were assembled by cdburnxp such that they were just slightly oversized and too big to fit onto a DVD. (Or at least the DVD's I am using.) Cdburnxp will not burn the slightly oversized ISO's to DVD and will appear to hang waiting for a "bigger" blank dvd.

I solved the problem using a custom smaller span size of 4.33 GB size. Now cdburnxp will burn and verify all of the DVD's in the 12 disc set.

However, I now have found that several of the ISO images are not valid even though they can be burned and verified just like the valid ISO images. (This makes my backup less than useful as I cannot restore the files from the disc burned with the bad ISO image...) If I investigate further I'll create a separate post of my findings.

ed

I am also using cdburnxp 4.3.7.2423 and had the same problem with disc 12 of 13 :(

The overburn trick solved it :)

However it would be nice to already take extra space into account so it always works. I will try the trick with the custom size next time.

Thanks for the helpful information.

Guest mawelsh

Thanks for the easy workaround! I had the same condition...was trying to span 12GB across 3 standard DVDs and it stopped after the first one and would not accept a blank DVD.

I changed the custom span size to about 4.28GB, and it worked fine.

Guest JensR

Had the same problem after disc 5.

Didn't want to redo everything by choosing a smaller size, so chose "overburn", thanks you for this thread.

It worked - but it would be great if it could be fixed.

BTW, I am really, really happy that you introduced the spanning functionality!

(Us it to backup my photo library.)

I think the message "Burn process started at maximum." is a mistake: From the time it takes, it seems to me that the burning happens with the selected speed. Around 15 minutes is around 4x and not 16x, right?

I had the same problem: win7x64 split about 22gb onto 5ea TDK DVD-R. Got to disk 4 and tried about 6 disks and a +R to no luck. Writable was green, but space was red. Over-burn would error. I hit cancel (getting rid of stupid pop-up thing asking for a disk and blocking any setting changes). At the main screen (still on disk 4) I changed the label to a 1 digit name and changed it to "Disk at once" It would then let me use over-burn (before it would just say error reserving track).

Now i know to manually lower the disk size for spanning on future projects, but at least i didn't waste any DVD's and didn't have to redo the session.

I'm using DVD+R and having same problem

Been using same brand of DVD throughout, and like the first poster I have a 12 disk set which started playing games at disk 5.

The overburning option worked for a couple, but now it doesn't, and I'm getting disk errors if i try to burn disk 7.

Required:

Writable disc

4.38 GB free

Present:

Writable (DVD+R)

4.38 GB

I'm gonna have to start again, and try to limit the space used per disk... if thats at all possible...?