Sign in to follow this  
astroz

CD-R data shows up in CDBurner XP Pro, but not on Win D:/

Hello, I just downloaded and installed CDBurner XP Pro 3.0 today. I like the interface, as it is simililar to Nero 5.5, which I used on my old system. (Nero 5.5 doesnt recognize my CD-RW on my new Win XP system)

Went through all of my checks, on my current Win XP Home Ed. SP-2. I wanted to backup some data files, and everything went well, no error messages.

When I went to look at the D:\ drive on my system, it showed the medium to be blank. I double checked the "Display Medium" button, in CDBurner XP Pro 3.0 and it showed the data on the disk to be there.

I popped in a CD-R disk that I created with Nero 5.5 on my old system, and it showed all of the data.

The new CD-R disk that I used in CDBurner XP Pro 3.0, is the same brand medium: Memorex CD-R.

I haven't done a lot of CD burning in the past, so I am not that savy, when it comes to diagnosing this type of problem.

I would appreciate some advice on this issue

My problem has been solved! I got some advise from another forum, that suggested that I disable the IMAPI service, which was built into Win XP, and allowed the ability to burn CDs.

I did a search, and found some info that mentioned that the IMAPI service, in some instances, casused a conflict when using some versions of Nero. The solution was to "disable" the service.

I went ahead and disabled the service, to see if it was causing a conflict with my CDBurner XP Pro 3.0, started up CDBurner XP Pro 3.0,copied some assorted data files, and I was able to view them in Windows!

If anyone else is experiencing a similar problem, maybe this will help.

To disable IMAPI service:

Go to "Control Panel" > If you are in "Category View", change to "Classic View"(you"ll see the button in the uper left of the screen). Click on "Administrative Tools", then "Services. Scroll down to "IMAPI CD_Burning COM Service", double click on it, check to see if you are on the General Tab, and then Scroll the "Startup Type" to "Disabled", click on "Apply" and you're done.

Thanks ASTROZ - the cd burner now burns and shows the files in Win XP explorer. Changing the imap... worked.

We tried this, but no luck. Prior versions have worked well. CD-R will show data on disks...CD-RW will not show data on disks.

WindowsXP/SP2/Home

i have had the same problem but with dvd+rw. i burn a multisession disk initially the data writes to the dvd but when i import the session to add data to the disk cd burner xp pro deletes all the files on the dvd. even after a restart the files are not visible. i import the session back into cd burner xp pro and the second session will import but there is nothing on the disk.

Guest burner_user

I also burned a disc in one session, came back and burned a second session(I thought would just add to the previous session), and it deleted the previos session. When I looked at the properties of the disc in windows explorer it still showed a large portion of the disc had info, but only showed the files from the second session. Ive been told that maybe finalizing the disc will work. ANY THOUGHTS.....HELP !!!!

Guest Burner_user

I got my problem solved................The second Session data was the only thing showing up on the disc in Windows explorer, CDBurner XP, and Isobuster.........Once I finalized the disc, Isobuster was able to recover the first Session...................THANKS FOR ISOBUSTER!!!!!

Guest GeorgeGTS

[list=]

I burned my CD-Rs years ago with that same program and if I look at them I can tell they have data on them. But, since I burned them years ago on a computer that I lost in Hurricane Katrina I have no other copies of the information and Windows XP won't recognize the data (it shows that the disk is blank). What should I do? I would really like to have these pictures.

Thanks

Well, you have to keep in mind that - especially self burned CDs - have a rather low life span. So it is quite possible that your CDs are no longer readable. You can try tools like ISOBuster though to recover your data.

Guest OmNomNomNom

Ave all. Well, in last time i was looking a fine free alternative for nero and so i found CDB XP Pro. It is really awesome program but unfortunately as any other free stuff - it isn't perfect. Still, you are doing outstanding job, keep it up.

Now lets get straight to the point. I had kind of similar problem as astroz. The data on dvd were missing after burning. Well, technically they went to "ghost mode" or something like that. The DVD Drive (E:\) window (in windows explorer) was completely blank (same goes to CDB explorer window and Free Commander), but the system "could say" that there was some occupied space on this DVD (the system was saying that there is 857MB of free space out of 4500MB). I disabled IMAPI service but it gave nothing. I did some research and here is what i found: the files will "miss" only when you change the folder/file name in Compilation Window and you are using ISO9660/UDF/Joliet or UDF file system. When I change the file name in Explorer Window and then drug them to Compilation Window and than burn the dvd, everything is fine and data can by normally seen by the system, nothing is missing.

I checked FAQ and help but i didn't find nothing similar to this, except this thread. I hope that this will help someone and you will understand what i am trying to say here. :-P

I'm using: Win XP Pro + SP2 | CDBurnerXP 4.2.5.1541 |DVD-RW Drive: LG GSA-H42L|

Thanks for Your attention.

Ave all. Well, in last time i was looking a fine free alternative for nero and so i found CDB XP Pro. It is really awesome program but unfortunately as any other free stuff - it isn't perfect. Still, you are doing outstanding job, keep it up.

Now lets get straight to the point. I had kind of similar problem as astroz. The data on dvd were missing after burning. Well, technically they went to "ghost mode" or something like that. The DVD Drive (E:\) window (in windows explorer) was completely blank (same goes to CDB explorer window and Free Commander), but the system "could say" that there was some occupied space on this DVD (the system was saying that there is 857MB of free space out of 4500MB). I disabled IMAPI service but it gave nothing. I did some research and here is what i found: the files will "miss" only when you change the folder/file name in Compilation Window and you are using ISO9660/UDF/Joliet or UDF file system. When I change the file name in Explorer Window and then drug them to Compilation Window and than burn the dvd, everything is fine and data can by normally seen by the system, nothing is missing.

I checked FAQ and help but i didn't find nothing similar to this, except this thread. I hope that this will help someone and you will understand what i am trying to say here. :-P

I'm using: Win XP Pro + SP2 | CDBurnerXP 4.2.5.1541 |DVD-RW Drive: LG GSA-H42L|

Thanks for Your attention.

I can confirm this. Same situation happened to me. When I renamed folder in Compilation window, after burninng files, they were hidden. I tested it twice with same result. Same data burned without renaming visible without any problem. I think this is a bug. Thank you OmNomNomNom, you really helped me.

Guest akasuke
When I change the file name in Explorer Window and then drug them to Compilation Window and than burn the dvd, everything is fine and data can by normally seen by the system, nothing is missing.

please..can anyone make a simple list of what to do or click from the start? ~ not a computer expert *cries*

changing the file name of what?the file we want to burn?and then drag them to the compilation window~do you mean cdburnerxp window??do i have to burn a new disk??

~please help..and thanks :)

Guest OmNomNomNom

Sorry to keep you waiting, but I just back to life a few minutes ago after new year's party. But what exactly do you want to do? Burn a new cd with different folder/file name? If so, you have to do something like that:

1.) Lunch your CDBurnerXP.

2.) Choose "Data disc" and press OK.

3.) [if you are using horizontal view. (View -> Tile -> Horizontal)] In upper window choose the folder/file you want to burn.

4.) If you want to change file/folder name do it here, in upper window of CDBurnerXP. To change the name click on the file/folder and then press F2 from the keyboard. Type the name you want and than press "enter".

5.) Now you can drag the file (you want to burn) and drop it in the bottom window.

6.) When you think that you have everything you wanted press "burn" and than "burn disc".

Well, as you see I am not a master of english but i hope that you will be able to understand me and this will help you.