Not compatible with Sony Optiarc AD-7241S

Guest derekmski

Guest derekmski

Hello I have the latest version of CDBurnerXP and i'm trying to use it on Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and I try to erase a DVD-RW and it says it's not re-writable. When I go to burn content to a DVD it says no compatible drives, so this may be the issue. I have 2 Sony Optiarc AD-7241S DVD Burners (internal SATA).

• 4 weeks later...

Ah I have checked out everything with that post and have tried what they suggested and it still won't recognize it so it looks like I will have to use imgburn instead.

....I'm experiencing the same problem with Optiarc AD-7250H

• 5 months later...

I have a Dell E521 desktop. Recently, my original Dell DVD-ROM has been "flaky" - sometimes wouldn't read. I decided to replace it with a SONY-NEC Optiarc AD-7241S-OB. This is a DVD-RW with lightscribe. When I put cell phone tracking in the new drive (leaving the existing original Dell DVD-RW drive-TSST TS-H653A)), the system boots up fine and after a few seconds goes to BSOD. I get the IRQL.... message. When I put the original DVD-ROM back in all is fine. If I put in ONLY the new SONY-NEC drive it boots fine and all is OK, except that the4 system shows it as a generic CD-ROM drive. Through trial and error, it appears that the SONY-NEC will NOT coexist with either of the original Dell DVD drives. The DVD drives are connected to SATA1 and SATA2. I wonder if the problem is that Dell bios does not support lightscribe?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect old thread, but I hope this will help some people who have similar problem - DVD drive not being detected as RW device.

I started having this problem when I enabled AHCI capability for SATA port on which DVD drive is connected, I needed AHCI for my SSD.

To solve this I had to connect DVD-RW to last SATA port and enable IDE mode for last two SATA ports (all done in BIOS).

Specifically this model, Optiarc AD-7241S does not work well with AHCI enabled.

There's no penalty for using IDE mode as DVD drives never reach throughput limit.

But I must say I had no problem using it with NERO Trial, even in AHCI mode.