Sign in to follow this  
MTComputerJunkie

CDBurner XP won't always write Data Discs

Hello,

I have been using CDBurnerXP for about six months, and I have noticed a potential problem with the "Data Disc" option. I can add files just fine, save the compilation, and start the burning process. However, the burn never properly completes. I have found that I can properly write to the same discs with the Windows XP wizard, however. The interesting note is that after CDBurnerXP fails, I think the disc is still writable, as I believe the last time this happened, I popped the disc back in and used the XP wizard, which completed. I burned the disc for a friend, who, to my knowledge, has found it to be entirely usable. This has happened in the past just about every time I tried to use the feature. I did try two discs this last time to make sure, and both failed.

I was using 52x CD-R's made by Magnavox. The error I recieved was something like "Access violation at address xXXXXXXXXX." It appeared to be referencing a location on the disc rather than in the memory. The program also suggested I was using poor quality media (which is a possibility). I recently recorded a disc only half full, and it ran to completion without error. The first disc this happened to does not seem to have a "write" pattern on the back, if you know what I mean. The disc looks as though it were never written to.

On my machine, CDBurnerXP always works fine with iso files, as I have successfully burned 30-40 of those to CDs and DVDs. (home videos/bootable discs). My system specs are below:

Windows XP, Home Edition (Version 2002), SP 3 (32 bit).

Intel Pentium E2160 (dual-core 1.80Ghz)

1gb DDR2 RAM

ASUS P5VD2-MX SE motherboard

Burner: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P

Maybe I am just using cheap media, and it just so happened that I got two bad ones in a row, but as I never have issues with iso files, this problem seems odd. If this problem occurs again, I will update this post if it is still open.

Thank you.

-update

The discs were burned in Finalize mode, although the last one which completed doesn't appear to have been finalized, but I don't know how to tell for sure.

This would be a bug in the NMS burning library, but we can't expect updates there any time soon. So I cann't do anything immediately to solve your problem.