copy of files respect order

Guest ratm54

Hello,

When i copy / paste mp3 files to audio compilation the order of mp3 files is not respected on the compilation.

Best regards

Anthony PERRIN

Guest anon

yes, it is always alphabetically. that sucks if you want a special order. can you PLEASE chenge that in some update? :)) thank you in advance

This question pops-up constantly, so lets try to be clear :D

Data discs, or hard disks for the matter, have no order, it is just a bunch of binary data written on the media, the concept of "order" is in your mind and it is the operating system that is in charge of making a list seem ordered in your file manager.

The OS calls opendir() system call and traverse the current directory, picking all file-names (which are binary data) and then sorting either by name, natural order, by date, etc..

This information is obtained from the filesystem using the stat system call, which usually provides the following info

struct stat {
dev_t st_dev; /* ID of device containing file */
ino_t st_ino; /* inode number */
mode_t st_mode; /* protection */
nlink_t st_nlink; /* number of hard links */
uid_t st_uid; /* user ID of owner */
gid_t st_gid; /* group ID of owner */
dev_t st_rdev; /* device ID (if special file) */
off_t st_size; /* total size, in bytes */
blksize_t st_blksize; /* blocksize for file system I/O */
blkcnt_t st_blocks; /* number of 512B blocks allocated */
time_t st_atime; /* time of last access */
time_t st_mtime; /* time of last modification */
time_t st_ctime; /* time of last status change */
};

[/code]

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorting_algorithm

It is then shown to you in a human understandable way.

HTH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ratm54
This question pops-up constantly, so lets try to be clear :D

Data discs, or hard disks for the matter, have no order, it is just a bunch of binary data written on the media, the concept of "order" is in your mind and it is the operating system that is in charge of making a list seem ordered in your file manager.

The OS calls opendir() system call and traverse the current directory, picking all file-names (which are binary data) and then sorting either by name, natural order, by date, etc..

This information is obtained from the filesystem using the stat system call, which usually provides the following info

struct stat {

dev_t     st_dev;     /* ID of device containing file */

ino_t     st_ino;     /* inode number */

mode_t    st_mode;    /* protection */

nlink_t   st_nlink;   /* number of hard links */

uid_t     st_uid;     /* user ID of owner */

gid_t     st_gid;     /* group ID of owner */

dev_t     st_rdev;    /* device ID (if special file) */

off_t     st_size;    /* total size, in bytes */

blksize_t st_blksize; /* blocksize for file system I/O */

blkcnt_t  st_blocks;  /* number of 512B blocks allocated */

time_t    st_atime;   /* time of last access */

time_t    st_mtime;   /* time of last modification */

time_t    st_ctime;   /* time of last status change */

};

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorting_algorithm

It is then shown to you in a human understandable way.

HTH.

Let's considers this use case :

All the actions are realise in CD Burner XP.

I chose audio project.

1) I'm selecting and copy a list of mp3 file in the top right frame of CD Burner XP (which are sort by name => ("01 first song.mp3", "02 second song.mp3", "03 third song.mp3"),

2) Then i paste the selection in the bottom frame of CD Burner XP.

The order of file are not the same between 1) and 2) actions.

Considering you know the sorting and the name of file in 1) why can't you preserve the order in 2)if you preserve the name of file ("01 first song", "02 second song", "03 third song") and the sorting ?

Best Regards

Anthony PERRIN

CDBurnerXP does not alter the copy and paste order. They will be pasted the same way they are copied. Unfortunately though, Windows Explorer does not always maintain the right "order" of the files, that has been determined before and cannot be changed on my side.

• 4 months later...
Guest ratm54

Hello,

I've made an audio disk this morning and CDBurner doesn't respect the name files order.

I'm very disapointed.

Best Regards,

Anthony

Guest ratm54

Hello,

I am burning an audio disc. The originals files are mp3 files. CD Burner XP convert mp3 files to wave files.

CD Burner XP does not preserve the order files in this case.

Best Regards

Anthony

Guest ratym54

This is a temporary example :

SortingProblemExampleWithCDBurnerXp.jpeg

Order of selection in the top right frame differ order of the bottom frame

Best regards,

anthony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest burkie67

I just burnt a few avi files as an open data disc. Although files were out of order in the bottom frame, I noticed that they were being burnt in alphabetical order, which is what I wanted to happen. Also appeared in right order when played on a dvd player.

So, although looking out of order were burnt in order.

• 1 month later...

As this is my first post, I'd like to start by congratulating the developers of an amazing piece of software. I consider CDBurnerXP the best burner out there.

The only feature that I find lacks is burning MP3 files in the desired order. I really don't wish to beat a dead horse here, I read the faq and I understand why file "order" is kinda irrelevant. Yet, there is another program that allows this functionality: Acoustica MP3 CD Burner... But, I'd rather have a single program to handle all my burning needs.

Would it be too difficult for CDBurnerXP to take into consideration the order of a playlist and rename the copies of the files, before burning, so they keep that order when reproduced by a dumb player (that doesn't support playlists) ? This is exactly what the aforementioned program does...

A file list that looks like this:

group - song.mp3

band - song.mp3

artist - song.mp3

Becomes:

01_group_-_song.mp3

02_band_-_song.mp3

03_artist_-_song.mp3

On the CD, which when reproduced by any CD player will be played back in the specified order... Of course, it should be an option, so people who don't care or don't need to keep file ordering wouldn't have to worry about it. In any case, once again, thanks for a great piece of software!