Sign in to follow this  
nxtbet

[C] MD5 discrepancy

Page http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download states:

Download latest version (4.3.8.2568)

Size: 4.78 MiB (MD5: C0CE228C04C3D81F6FE06532C710210A)

I downloaded from that specific link and got a different MD5: A645BF5AC3770CEED57C1BF16FD530C7 (revealed by FolderMatch software)

Why does a download from the same link produce a different signature from the one specified under the link?

If the installer has a correct cryptographic signature, that is says it is signed by (verified publisher) "canneverbe limited" ignore that.

It is probably an error on the webpage, in fact that checksum indicator has to be removed and/or replaced by a sha256 hash.

In general, and though we are not subject to them in anyway, we aim to follow NIST/FIPS general guidelines for crypto and security related stuff, in this particular case,

"NIST Special Publication 800-131A

Transitions: Recommendation for

Transitioning the Use of Cryptographic

Algorithms and Key Lengths"

Which in practise means to discontinue the use of md5 and sha1 in most situations.

"canneverbe limited" is indeed what I see. If you don't believe in the MD5 stuff anymore, I am surprised you let it linger on. Thanks for the reassurance, however. I appreciate the peace of mind.

You should know that NOD32 gave me a warning of "potential threat found" when I dowloaded from that link, offering to cut off the connection, and then (when I clicked on "no action") offering to detlete. When I downloaded versions under "other options", the warning was no longer there. So this "opencandy" thing may be why I got the NOD32 warning. Just for your information.

"canneverbe limited" is indeed what I see. If you don't believe in the MD5 stuff anymore, I am surprised you let it linger on.

Thanks for the reassurance, however. I appreciate the peace of mind..

It has continued to appear there because the installers only recently have been started to get signed

You should know that NOD32 gave me a warning of "potential threat found" when I dowloaded from that link, offering to cut off the connection, and then (when I clicked on "no action") offering to detlete. When I downloaded versions under "other options", the warning was no longer there. So this "opencandy" thing may be why I got the NOD32 warning. Just for your information

Yes, there are some antivirus products that still warn about opencandy, MS removed it from their list as well other vendors once the concerns over it were resolved.