[X] cdbxpcmd: names with more than 16 characters

Guest Alleras

Guest Alleras

It seems one can't create a CD/ISO with a title with more than 16 characters using the commandline tool:

cdbxpcmd --burn-data -folder[\]:foo -iso:c:\isos\bar.iso -name:12345678901234567

An error (80040277) occured while executing the command: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040277

I never had problems doing so using the UI.

Is this a restriction I should generally be aware of, or an error in the command line tool?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alleras

OK, thanks. I'll keep an eye on this thread, if you get around to having a look at it I'd appreciate if you'd let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alleras

Thanks. Question remains though why that limitation isn't enforced in the UI version of the tool, I can create and mount ISOs with 20 characters without any problems.

Guest Alleras

Ah. That's a bit at odds with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet_%28file_system%29 which claims that the volume name is always UTF-16 and only allows 16 characters as well. Doesn't show a source for that, and I certainly can have volumes with more than 16 chars, so they seem to be missing something.

Anyway, new questions/suggestions:

1) It appears the GUI version defaults to create ISO 9660/Joliet/UDF. Shouldn't cdbxpcmd do so, too (and maybe expose parameters to set the file systems to use)?

2) Menu -> File -> Options -> Data options notes: "Remember that labels will be truncated to 16 characters" (4.3.8.2568). That's a bit misleading if it depends on the file systems used.

3) Would it make sense to add the volume label restriction to the list in Menu -> File System?

Ah. That's a bit at odds with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet_%28file_system%29 which claims that the volume name is always UTF-16 and only allows 16 characters as well. Doesn't show a source for that, and I certainly can have volumes with more than 16 chars, so they seem to be missing something.

Maybe it's ISO 9660 then that allows 32 chars.

1) It appears the GUI version defaults to create ISO 9660/Joliet/UDF. Shouldn't cdbxpcmd do so, too (and maybe expose parameters to set the file systems to use)?

Nope, the command line version does not have this capability at all (yet).

2) Menu -> File -> Options -> Data options notes: "Remember that labels will be truncated to 16 characters" (4.3.8.2568). That's a bit misleading if it depends on the file systems used.

Assuming the worst case scenario seems fine enough for me.

3) Would it make sense to add the volume label restriction to the list in Menu -> File System?

Maybe, though I did not consider the volume name as that important yet.