Sign in to follow this  
GWT

Burns too fast

The media I use is capable of burning at 4X yet CDBurnerXP insists on burning it at 10X or above.

Same with the burner burn speeds since ImgBurn also detects both my burner and media being capable of being burned at 4X

Aren't there any settings to override this?

Guest WolverineX

when you press "burn" window opens with three options (finalize disc and so on) , press advanced options, there you will be able to set burning speed and the click on the "start burning process" (or something like that, i'm writing this of the top of my head, so titles on the buttons might be different)

when you press "burn" window opens with three options (finalize disc and so on) , press advanced options, there you will be able to set burning speed and the click on the "start burning process" (or something like that, i'm writing this of the top of my head, so titles on the buttons might be different)
Well finally an answer!

The old version had a setting whereby you could overwrite the default speed CDBurnerXP sets it to after it automatically detects it. That option is gone as far as I can tell. :cry:

I know the media I buy is capable of burning at 2X or 4X if I want it to. Rule of thumb is that the slower the burn speed, the fewer coasters I produce and I get a longer lasting burn which means a longer lasting CD-R. That's been my experience since the good old Nero 6 days.

Overriding the speed does not work anyway. The speed needs to be determined correctly in the first place. For burning data discs, we cannot make adjustments to that currently though.

Overriding the speed does not work anyway. The speed needs to be determined correctly in the first place. For burning data discs, we cannot make adjustments to that currently though.

Well that's too bad. Burning at 10x only increases the chances for errors.

I may have to look for an alternative since I know my burner and the CD-R media I use are capable of burning at slower speeds.

:(

I am also one of the users that cannot change the burn speed. What happens if I use one of the older versions of CDBurnerXP? Maybe I will lose some features (?), but then maybe this feature will work. GWT is correct---burning too fast will cause more errors---and that isn't good.

Flo - It is possible to set the burn rate for burning data disks. Yes, it's not easy nor obvious as the obvious path takes the default (which for me is causing a problem).

Here is how I do it:

- start CDBurnerXP

- click 'Data disk' and 'OK'

- select files, click 'Add'

- click 'Burn'

- click 'Let me choose advanced settings' (do NOT click the obvious option of 'Finalise disk'!!)

- in 'Burn Options' tab 'Burn speed' has defaulted to 48x, I change it to 40x

- check 'Finalize disc' (since I used "Let me choose advanced settings' instead of 'Finalise disk')

- click 'Burn disk' and away it successfully completes.

I'm having a problem buring data CDs, hence how I found this thread. I will submit my problem in another thread.

Bret

I've recently upgraded to 4.3.9.2651. I burn a lot of data and audio discs and found you can set the burn speed if you insert the disc first . However, if you insert the blank disc when you are prompted to then you will get the default burn speed (which would be the fastest speed your disc burner supports) .

I believe that computers nowadays are able to handle the highest burn speeds properly, so I do not see a reason why making the burn speed selection seem more important in the user interface. I'm always burning at highest speeds myself, even from network locations, and so far I have no reason to believe that is a very common requirement to use a lower burning speed.

The data burning part my be a bit more susceptible to errors due to the older burning library, but this will be updated soon.

Guest mcmusic

Hi,

I am trying out CDburnerXP. A nice burner indeed. And very nice that it is free. A big thanks. However, I also, like many others, would prefer that the burning speed should be selectable. While it might not matter much for data CDs, it definitely matters for Audio CDs how fast they are burned. A while ago I made many tests with burning speed on a Plextor burner, which came with Plextools. You could make nice tests (C1/C2 and Beta /Jitter tests). Data quality usually was worse at high burning speeds.

I really do not know why this useful feature is banned from the current version 4.4.0.2038. When making a CD copy, I do not get the "Advanced Setting" button before the burning starts (I am using Win7 64bit home).

BTW, I can not find a way to show the version of my installed CDburnerXP. It would be nice to find this somewhere.

Flo said:

<>

This might be true for new PCs or not, but think of the vast numbers of elder PCs around. I am just upgrading from a 2003 machine, and I would not do this at this time if the HW would not become unreliable. So this feature seems to be necessary for my and many others' opinion.

--

Greetings,

mcmusic

BTW, I can not find a way to show the version of my installed CDburnerXP. It would be nice to find this somewhere.

You must open one of the options on start window first (i.e. data disc). After that you can see the menues, and the version is to be found at Help/About :)

When making a CD copy, I do not get the "Advanced Setting" button before the burning starts (I am using Win7 64bit home).

But when copying a disc, you can select the burning speed in the initial window, there is no need to get "advanced options" here.

Guest mcmusic

Hello delgado,

thanks for this hint. I just expected this on the main program screen. But I can live with it as it is.

I really try to understand and use the features that are there.

But when copying a disc, you can select the burning speed in the initial window, there is no need to get "advanced options" here.

Flo, on my screen this is not possible. I open CDburner. On this window there is no selection of speed possible. Then I select "Medium kopieren" (Copy or grab disc). Then opens the Copy window. Under "Target/Device" there is a field with down-arrow which says 24x in my case. But I cannot change it! THAT is the point. I do not mind if you preselect it to the maximum. But it should be selectable in steps down to 1x. The motivation for this I have written in my last post. Especially older external Audio CD players are very picky about burn quality of PC-burned CDs. For these, and you support Audio CDs after all, good burning quality (i. e. low burning speed) is essential.

A good User Interface could look like it is now. When called first, the speed should be preselected with the highest allowed speed, as it is now. But functionally the speed should be selectable in the usual steps downward (.../24/16/12/8/6/4/2/1). When CDBurner is called the next time, the last used burn speed should be selected. All possible burning speeds should be selectable.

--

Greetings,

mcmusic

In this case, please see my previous post:

If you are missing the lower speeds, please create a log file (http://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/18, insert disc, open ISO burning and make sure speeds are shown, exit application) and we'll have it checked.

Also tell me the exact medium you used (including speed) and the supported speeds of your drive.

In this case, please see my previous post:

Also tell me the exact medium you used (including speed) and the supported speeds of your drive.

Some problem here absolutely no chance to change the recording speed always set on the fastest possible. This can create some problems above with quality of the audio tracks.

Is it a bug or this version is created in this way? If I can't choose the recording speed I will have to look for another software... :o

If no one ever bothers to provide further information, I cannot provide any support on this matter unfortunately.

Please tell me what kind of support you need... I think that there is few things that I can tell simply there is no way to choice the driver speed. And it seems that this kind of thin is happening to lots of users...

Guest Eversome

43Zr8.png

This is the only option I have. First dvd I burned had 4/8 files with verification errors. On the disk there's 2 rings that weren't there before I started burning which correspond to the audible change in burn speed/and the increase in time estimated to completion.

Guest Nick

Hello,

I also have a problem with speed selection.

When I choose:

1. "Copy Disk" in the initial screen (source and target drive is the same)

2. I select the burning speed I want in the target area (e.g. 12x)

3. I insert the dvd I want to copy

4. I press "Copy disk"

5. Reading of initial disk starts

6. CDburnerXP ejects the initial DVD and asks an empty DVD to write

7. I insert the empty DVD

8. Writing begins--> BUT at 20x speed!! (which is the highest writing speed of my driver)

The problem is that the blank DVDs I have are for 16x speeds and the program does not keep my previous speed selection I made in step 2.

P.S.1: My driver is http://www.samsung.c...e/SE-S204N/AMBN

P.S.2: I use CDburnerXP version 4.4.0.2971

8. Writing begins--> BUT at 20x speed!! (which is the highest writing speed of my driver)

Does it show that in the interface or do you conclude that from the length of the burning process?