Making a bootable CD for WinXP does not work

I have the same Problem as oabcxp writes "Problem with bootable WinXP SP2 made by CDBurner XP" on 29 Jul 2010, 10:18 http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9055&p=32630#p32630

I used Nero 6 as he did before. CDBurnerXP seems a good Program that replaces Nero well as it is free / open software. I tried several settings but no success. My bootimage is boot.bin it works with Nero. I also tried xpboot.img with CDIMAGE which makes a sucessfully working ISO image that can be burned by CDBurnerXP.

My Boot Options are: No emulation load segment 7C0 Sectors 4 enforce ISO Level 1

I tried other setting as written in the topic mentioned above. But no success. I just get the same message while booting as oabcxp said: Coudn't find NTLDR

So CDBurnerXP is not able to make a bootable CD/DVD for Windows XP professional SP3 ?

Wondering what I do wrong

Regards Ted

I just get the same message while booting as oabcxp said: Coudn't find NTLDR

Hmm, you made a bootcd from your winxp cd, and added service pack? Or what did you do exactly?

So CDBurnerXP is not able to make a bootable CD/DVD for Windows XP professional SP3 ?

I just did it succesfully :) A german guide at pc-experience, but the pics are talking for themselves

http://www.pc-experience.de/wbb2/thread ... adid=27155

EDIT: Screen is wrong, sectors must be 4!!

Thanks for your answer. Honestly did you try to boot it after?? I know this article. I tried it with this xpbootimage.bin too and your settings it fails even worse. Try to boot it tells "Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5"

I am just doing a WinXP CD with SP3 and all security patches with CDBurnerXP 4.3.8.2631 on a XP professional OS.

In general discussion I seen many more people asking for exactly this problem. Nobody got a decent answer that it really workes.

Just one other example:

http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9338&p=33244&hilit=bootable+windows+xp#p33244

Thanks anyway

Thanks for your answer. Honestly did you try to boot it after??

Just before i posted, honestly!

1. I integrated SP3 to the before copied files of the WinXP-CD

1. I made the boot options as seen on the screenshot above

EDIT: Screen is wrong, sectors must be 4!!

2. I added the files from the upper right window of CDBurnerXP to the right bottom window

I know this article. I tried it with this xpbootimage.bin too and your settings it fails even worse. Try to boot it tells "Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5"

I am just doing a WinXP CD with SP3 and all security patches with CDBurnerXP 4.3.8.2631 on a XP professional OS.

In general discussion I seen many more people asking for exactly this problem. Nobody got a decent answer that it really workes.

Just one other example:

http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9338&p=33244&hilit=bootable+windows+xp#p33244

And this?

So, don't forget apply your (Boot-) settings BEFORE adding your files.

Strange is "Coudn't find NTLDR". Are you sure you are not trying to boot from the wrong device? Is the disc closed?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

EDIT:

did you choose "show hiden files" before copying files from XP-CD?

But this is something completly different, this is an iso-file, no xxxx.bin! Normaly you can burn a boot-cd from a boot-iso by only choosing "Burn ISO Image", and there is no need to choose any boot-options, because the image-file has this included :?

EDIT: or is xpboot.img only an iso-file, which includes the boot.bin? Then my post is obsolete of course

Well for Testing Purpose I do a quick way just to see if it works without wasting CD/DVD media. Instead of burn I do "file, safe compilation as ISO file..", and test if it's booting with the program MobaLiveCD_v2.1 http://agnipulse.com/2009/07/test-bootable-iso-and-live-cddvd-without-restarting-you-computer/

the result was successfully booting with a xpboot.img

[attachment=0]success.jpg[/attachment]

so then I finally start burning the iso file.

Regards Ted

Erm...just for reference, which options did you now choose to make it work? Did you use an ISO image or did you create your own boot disc based on a boot image and additional files? Would be good to have a quick summary for others who read this thread.

Hi Flo

I did create my own boot disc with additional files likes personalized drivers and security updates. To make it bootable i used a file xboot.img 2kb and burnt a DVD.

Data disc

Disc Boot options

[attachment=0]3.jpg[/attachment]

adding files

burn

Finalise disc

so my initial problem was that I had chosen ISO level 1(8+3) and did not mark Disable ISO version number extension (;1) which gave me an error "Coudn't find NTLDR"

Delgado did sectors 1 which made an error "Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5"

Regards Ted

so my initial problem was that I had chosen ISO level 1(8+3) and did not mark Disable ISO version number extension (;1) which gave me an error "Coudn't find NTLDR"

Delgado did sectors 1 which made an error "Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5"

I edited that already (sectors 4). I made a wrong screenshot, but "Disable ISO version number extension (;1)" was shown correctly :wink2: