Sign in to follow this  
Guest Christoph_vW

[X] MSI installier issue 4.3.9

Guest Christoph_vW

The 4.3.9 installer does not properly upgrade an old installation. Now I have a corrupted 4.3.8 install and a working 4.3.9. When I uninstall 4.3.8, 4.3.9 will mostly get removed as well.

I forgot already: Since the MSI installer in 4.3.9 is a new one, you need to remove 4.3.8 before using the new MSI installer. I incorrectly remembered it being present in 4.3.8 already.

Will add info to release notes.

Guest Martin

Hi,

please remove both version through the software applet in the control panel (so that all files and both entries in the control panel get removed). Then install 4.3.9. Please use the default installer if you install CDBurnerXP 4.3.9 on a single machine.

Regards, Martin

Guest Christoph_vW

Uninstalling the old version first is not as easy as it seems to be...

I have > 250 computers with different versions of CDBurnerXP 4.3.x installed (msi) which I have to upgrade to 4.3.9 now... It would be nice if the MSI would just upgrade the old installation.

Guest Christoph_vW

Now even newer minor builds do not upgrade older minor 4.3.9 builds! WTH?

How should I maintain this in a large deployment? I can not uninstall every single previous version on 250+ computers...

I'm not very much into MSI deployment and GPOs, but isn't it actually possible to first uninstall the old package and then install the new package in an automated fashion using group policies?

Guest Martin

Hi Christoph,

you still didn't tell which installer do you use... MSI or native installer? Rollout through script or group policy? Which operating systems/service packs/updates do you have in your environment? (please don't just say "everything", are there Win 2000/XP/Vista/7/2008/2008 R2 as x86/x64/Itanium with SP0/SP1/SP2/SP3?)

Which specific error messages did you get? Are there files given inside these messages? In which path did the older installations get installed, in which path the new ones?

Please have a look at the uninstall command of the different CDBurnerXP version on some computers (different/same version). Are they similar to each other, so do they have the same path inside the registry? (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall).

You could uninstall old versions by using startup scripts, put an environment variable/WMI value depending on the result of the uninstallation or existence of a file and enable install scripts/GPOs depending on a environment variable/file existence or WMI value.

And like in every deployment scenario: please test new installations and updates in a separate development environment or just on a selected amount of computers instead of pushing the installation to all computers. We can not know if there is other software which may interfere with CDBurnerXP.

Regards, Martin

Guest Christoph_vW

I am using the MSI installer and deploy it with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3.

The only way to uninstall a piece of Software is to create a package which contains a program to uninstall the application. When you change the ProductCode in each MSI I would have to create a package for each old revision I have to uninstall - that is not feaseable at all.

And yes, there is an option to run a different program first - which could be the uninstall app for an older version - but which one should I uninstall then? Not every computer gets every updated CDBurnerXP version I deploy, as lots of notebooks are only connected once or twice a year to the corporate network...

Guest Christoph_vW

Windows XP Professional SP3

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64

The uninstall string is different for each new version because it looks like you changed the ProductCode of the MSI...

And the uninstall string is

msiexec /x {ProductCode}

To uninstall all older version I would need a list of all ProductCodes ever used... Or a program which loops trough the Uninstall Reg Keys and tries to get all ProductCodes related to CDBurnerXP.

Indeed a list of all product codes is needed if you're going to uninstall. I'll see what I can fetch out for you, but I,m not shure I'll find something.

Guest Martin

Hi,

the Product Code for the latest MSI is c10e1609-f5f4-4358-822c-3f98ee735b98. "Normally" the product code shouldn't change for upgrade reasons, but this time the development environment for the Windows Installer package was changed. So to prevent unpredictable behaviour by upgrading from different installers there is no upgrade for the old package.

Regards, Martin

Guest Christoph_vW

The bug is still not fixed.

I had 4.3.9.2756 (msi) installed already and installed 4.3.9.2783 now - and now I have both versions on my computer.

Guest Christoph_vW

A newer 4.3.9 msi will not upgrade on older 4.3.9 msi.

At least it was not possible to upgrade 4.3.9.2756 to 4.3.9.2783.

Guest paul8493

Came across this same problem with MSI deployment (also via SCCM in this case), would be great if the new MSI installer would uninstall older versions automatically.

Any ETA?

Is it worth using one of the daily MSI builds?

http://daily.cdburnerxp.se/msi/

Thanks