Sign in to follow this  
rc primak

NCTAudioInformation2.dll insecure?

CDBurnerXP version 4.3.9.2762 contains a component called NCTAudioInformation2.dll. Secunia PSI has flagged this component as a non-supported version (Version 2.5.1.225). The currently supported version is Version 3.x. Secunia PSI Forums advise removing this dll for security reasons. But they refer to it as an Active-X control for IE8. Please advise on whether this is indeed an insecure component, and whether it is going to be updated in some future release of CDBurner XP. I would like to continue to use this software, but I am reluctant to retain on my Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop any insecure software or components. Is it safe to remove this dll, or would the CDBurner XP Program not function without it?

Hi,

I ashure you that CDBurnerXP contains no adware, viruses or anything else that can harm your computer. We know that some antivirus websites and softwares flag CDBurnerXP but there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of in such cases. If you dp request more information you can contact the Administrators.

CDBurnerXP version 4.3.9.2762 contains a component called NCTAudioInformation2.dll

No, I don't think so. I believe we had this DLL in version 3.0.x or 2.x, but it's gone now.

No, Flo, this dll is not gone. Secunia PSI 2 detects old versions of the dll with the path (Windows XP Pro SP3) C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\libs\NCTAudioInformation2.dll, Version 2.5.1.225. I will now follow this path in Windows Explorer.

When I look into the CDBurnerXP Program Files libs Folder, I see that CDBurnerXP has been adding a whole series of newer versions of this dll, but the program updates have never removed any of the older versions. Every file in this libs folder is dated as created on 3/30/2007. NCT Audio Player appears to be the lead DLL, and NCT WMA Player seems to be another lead DLL. Both may be running as executable programs or components. Are these players even part of the current CDBurnerXP program's active features? Maybe these are ALL obsolete dlls, and the whole crop can be deleted safely without losing program functionality? Perhaps even the entire libs folder?

These are indeed marked by Windows as Active-X DLLs. Why doesn't the installer or updater remove the older versions?

To All, I am not accusing CDBurnerXP of having anything malicious in it. I have used and trusted this program for several years, and I only want to verify that the PSI alert is not going to be a problem, or if it is, that I can safely delete the offending End of Life versions of this Active-X dll without losing functions currently supported by CDBurnerXP.

Further Update -- for what it's worth, removing the oldest Active-X in that folder shuts up PSI. I think this should suffice for the moment, as long as CDBurnerXP can function without the old Active-X control DLL. CCleaner shows that removing this DLL also makes one Registry entry obsolete, and I deleted that as well.

CDBurnerXP doesn't have any "libs" folder anymore. You can safely delete it altogether.

The DLLs have not been removed because the installer we use has never been programmed to remove any old content. And we actually had a variety of installers in the past, that probably contributed to that in particular.

In any case, the DLLs should not be harmful if they just sit there. They may get harmful if some application makes use of these DLLs (CDBurnerXP will not), but whatever application does that, can also do harm all by itself. A "File.Delete()" does not require NCT DLLs ;)

CDBurnerXP doesn't have any "libs" folder anymore. You can safely delete it altogether.

The DLLs have not been removed because the installer we use has never been programmed to remove any old content. And we actually had a variety of installers in the past, that probably contributed to that in particular.

In any case, the DLLs should not be harmful if they just sit there. They may get harmful if some application makes use of these DLLs (CDBurnerXP will not), but whatever application does that, can also do harm all by itself. A "File.Delete()" does not require NCT DLLs ;)

So I will be perfectly fine without the older DLLs. That is what I really was asking, now that we have established that they are not harmful and will not be misused by anyone. The CDBurnerXP program seems to fire up just fine without the old dll versions. I understand from your reply that I can even get rid of the whole libs folder now, and I think that will serve me the best. Secunia can't flag files which aren't there anymore. :lol:

Thank you for your help, and I think we can close out this thread, if there are no objections.

Secunia was just being over-cautious, I am guessing. Not their first time, and won't be their last! ;)

Like you said, theres nothing to be scared of or anything, CDBurnerXP won't harm your computer, quit a few AV programs detect some of the CDBurnerXP as harmfull files, and if this happens you can ignore it because the files do not contain anything harmfull.

Thanks for the clarification, Joey.

I never thought that anything in CDBurnerXP was actually harmful -- just obsolete and should be removed. A Clean Reinstall would probably have avoided the whole Secunia PSI "End of Life" issue in the first place. In the future, I may do the next program update as a clean reinstall, using Revo Uninstaller to clean out the entire current installation, including the Registry entries and all folders and their contents. Then start fresh. I probably should have done that awhile ago. Just lazy, I guess. ;)