Sign in to follow this  
Guest coffeelover

Spanning Discs Some Files Not Copying?

Guest coffeelover

I have just discovered that some files do not appear to be copying over when I use the spanning option. A quick search of the forum seems to indicate that there might be a known bugs in this area. This is odd problem. On my first attempt (with a 35 gb project), it burned everything over as you would expect; however when you go into the folders, some of the files are just not there. It's very random.

My second attempt, the second disc burned as I would expect, but was a coaster when I tried verifying it (didn't open). Should I be steering clear of the spanning feature for now? Is there a version that for sure works (even and older one)? The spanning feature is so cool and would hate to not be able to use it. Thanks for all your hard work developing this crazy-awesome burning program!

Guest coffeelover

I may have discovered what was causing the problem (as least for me in this case). I was initially burning files across a network (35 gbs) onto 9 discs using the spanning option. As I mentioned earlier, some of the files simply didn't make it onto the disc. It was very random. The top level folders were there, but some of the files just weren't anywhere to be found. The files were missing in neat chucks either. It was a few files here and there that were missing.

When I burned the same project locally from my desktop, everything appeared as you would expect. My guess is that some of the files didn't quite make it across the network during the burn process and CD Burner XP just skipped them. It's just an FYI...

Hm, okay, but it should actually output an error in this case. Anyway, this part will be refurbished soon, and then work more reliably, with or without disc spanning.

Guest coffeelover

I am glad to hear that. The spanning feature is by far the coolest aspect of CD Burner XP. I know of forensic software that does the same kind of thing (span digital files across multiple discs for storage) sold for hundreds of dollars. Thanks for such a great (and free) piece of software! It's a great gift.