Sign in to follow this  
nottingham2

CDBurnerXP DVD layout menu has gone in a minute.

What happened today to my CD Burner XP? Did CDBurner just upgraded without warning or is GUI broken and options missing?

Did new version has omitted some DVD video functionality???

But I hope it has not been an upgrade without any warning.

I just created a DVD video using File menu DVD layout. I burnt the disk and when trying to create next layout, application just crashed.

After starting CDBurnerXP the DVD layout menu has gone!

Instead there is a startup wizard, which offers a DVD video but doesn't provide possibility to add additional data folder to DVD video content.

That's something I have done since the dawn of DVD writing, that is - adding an extra folder with DATA whenever needed.

I'm not sure what version I had earlier but now it reads 4.3.9.2783.

If it was unwanted upgrade, which is missing this DVD option, then can I downgrade and to avoid any further upgrades?

Thanks!

But I hope it has not been an upgrade without any warning.

CDBurnerXP updates itself automatically by default.

Instead there is a startup wizard, which offers a DVD video

Yep, that is the more easy to discover replacement of the previous functionality. And it's not affected by Numedia Soft issues.

That's something I have done since the dawn of DVD writing, that is - adding an extra folder with DATA whenever needed.

May I ask what extra data you add? And is it only a single folder or multiple folders? It's not impossible to add this functionality again, but I'd like to know the purpose.

If it was unwanted upgrade, which is missing this DVD option, then can I downgrade and to avoid any further upgrades?

Yes, you can downgrade and disable automatic updates.

Yep, that is the more easy to discover replacement of the previous functionality. And it's not affected by Numedia Soft issues.

Thanks for your reply and for a great application which has replaced many commercial ones just because of being capable to do simple thing simple.

I'm sorry but I'm not aware of any Numedia issues.

May I ask what extra data you add? And is it only a single folder or multiple folders? It's not impossible to add this functionality again, but I'd like to know the purpose.

As much as I know threre is no limit to add any data files to DVD video and therefore whenever there is spare space on media, additional data may be added, like images, documents, DVD build libraries, authoring logs, Ulead video projects and etc. Therefore it's a good option adding original pre DVd material as data to the same media. I have hundreds of authorized DVD's with accompanying data.

And there are tens of thousands from other sources, including commercial ones. Loosing of this option has stopped my work flow for today. :(

Yes, you can downgrade and disable automatic updates.

The upgrade happened without any warning and it took a while to understand, what might be the reason of deformed GUI.

Thanks for your reply once again but I must start now searching for a way to finish my task today. :(

Guest eric

I also preferred old way of doing Video DVD's. You could then add the JACKET_P folder if you wanted (or any other data), plus with new way lost the ability to do a verify after the burn.

Was it not possible to leave both options? Keep old way via data disc option, and add the startup wizard for those who prefer that?

For now I guess I will use the data disc option and manually add VIDEO_TS folder and other folders.

Because I'm not sure if there is not any other DVD video specific settings applied with DVD layout, I preferred downgrade to previous CDBurnerXP version, since I have time to found something else for the task or previous functionality will be restored by author. I wish the last of course :-)

For verifying I use other drive and batch file to copy all content ... because using CD burner application own verify has failed several times for different reasons. But one is fact, that drives tend to read back data with less errors, when content has been written on them, which may hide possible poor media problems.

The thing is, I can only restore part of the functionality. It would be possible to include *one* additional folder and nothing else. Adding any data is only supported by the burning library that will be abonded next year (for good reasons). I will ask StarBurn if it's possible to make video DVD burning more generic, but I can't promise anything.

I also preferred old way of doing Video DVD's. You could then add the JACKET_P folder if you wanted (or any other data), plus with new way lost the ability to do a verify after the burn.

I'm another one who is in the habit of adding a folder for extra data to video DVDs. I'd love to see that functionality restored. I would like to downgrade to the previous version for now. The last version before 4.3.9.2783 that I see is 4.2.1.796. Is that my best choice?

The latest version would be this one: http://download.cdburnerxp.se/cdbxp_set ... 8.2631.exe

Also, you can still use the latest version and add the VIDEO_TS folder manually, I believe that would also work for burning video DVDs.

Thanks for your support. The link is to the 4.3.8.2631 and latest official version 4.3.9.2809? Are you sure, which one to download?

Btw. While I have been used to write data disks and single layer DVD's with CDBurnerXP due to more conventional interface, for burning double layer DVD's is best ImgBurn, offering option to select best layer change point in accordance with DVD video content and some other extra options. It's also free, simple and actually offers also folder adding functionality, I have used it now instead CDBurnerXP.

In future versions please also remove the default pushed upgrade as the way I experienced last upgrade was a disaster with crash and without any hint what happened and where am I, once CDBurnerXP was able to start again. As I didn't know the software version number it was only my guess, that it's not a video driver or GUI failure but unsuccessful upgrade (from my point of view)n :-)

But thanks anyway to the authors!

Yes, I am sure about the link.

I do not intend to remove the audo update feature by default, I also don't know about any "disaster with crash". I try to prevent breaking changes, but sometimes it is not avoidable, and it doesn't really matter than if you upgrade sooner or later.