Sign in to follow this  
colin_e

4.3.7- No "Override speed detection"?

Hardware: Samsung (TSSTcorp) SH-S223C CD/DVD Multiformat drive

Software: Windows Xp Sp3

Media: Maxell 52x CD-R

I have used CDBurnerXp in the past, but not for maybe a year. I just built a new machine so I installed CDBXP to try it out again.

The first small ISO I tried to burn (a small standalone Samsnug disk test utility) did not work, the bootable CD just stalled part way through reading.

As a check I tried burning the same ISO with Ashampoo Burning Studio 2009, which worked fine.

Wondering if the media was marginal at the full speed of the drive (48x), I went to try at a lower speed in CDBXP and found I coudn't. The screen shots on the CDBurner web site show an option for "Override speed detection", but on my copy of 4.3.7 there is no such option, so i'm stuck at 48x.

[attachment=0]CDBurnerXP.gif[/attachment]

Has this option been removed from the interface?, if so it's a shame because I still find with modern whizzy drives and media that slower write speedds more often result in a usable disk.

Guest Tingeling

I have the same burner and the same problem.

My pc have Win7 Ultimate, new install.

I had version 4.3.7.2423 (Screenshot photo) and updated to the latest today.

I have tryed ordinary version compatible with 64bit, 64bit and portable version, with the same result.

I don't find the logfile the program should make after I enable logging.

I just find emty folders with version number on and an ini file one level up.

xpburneeeeerrrrr.jpg

Version 4.3.7.2423

Ini file

[General]

AppLanguage=en-US

ExitToNotify=0

ToolbarDisplayStyle=2

OnlyUseSingleUnit=0

StartLastUsedProjectType=0

LoggingEnabled=1

UseCustomTempFolder=0

LastUsedProjectType=1

AutoUpdate=1

[Data]

DataExplorerPath=E:\cccccccc\yyyyyyyy (2010)

DataExplorer=1

IgnoreFileRenameRequirements=0

DataCacheFilesAutomatically=1

DataUpdateAutomatically=0

DataBurnVerify=0

DataBurnFinalize=1

DataUseDiscAtOnce=1

DataBurnEject=1

DataTileVertical=0

DataMode2XA=0

DataAskForSettings=1

DataDropFormLocation=0;0

DataFilePattern=

DataFilePatternInclude=1

DataFilePatternShowInBrowser=1

DataExplorerViewStyle=1

DataSplitterExplorer=391

DataSplitterVertical=328

DataSplitterLayout=391

LastDataBurnSpeed=30470

DataFileSystem=7

DataIsoLevel=2

DataFileViewColWidthName=372

DataFileViewColWidthSize=100

DataFileViewColWidthType=90

DataFileViewColWidthDate=90

DataLastDeviceUsed=I

CopyDisableHardwareEC=0

CopyIgnoreUnreadableData=0

CopyReadRetries=3

CopyImageType=0

CopyEjectDisc=0

CopyFinaliseDisc=1

DataLabel=Disc

DataSaveCompilationPath=C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop

[Iso]

IsoEjectDisc=1

IsoFinalize=1

IsoMode2XA=0

[Audio]

AudioAutoCDText=1

AudioExplorerViewStyle=1

AudioReplayGain=0

AudioTileVertical=0

AudioSplitterExplorer=0

AudioPauseLength=2

AudioSplitterVertical=0

AudioExplorer=1

AudioCloseDisc=1

AudioBurnEject=1

AudioBurnGapless=0

AudioShowPlayer=1

AudioPlayerSize=0*0

AudioPlayerPos=0;0

AudioFilePattern=

AudioFilePatternInclude=1

AudioFilePatternShowInBrowser=1

LastAudioBurnSpeed=0

Guest Tingeling

I think the problem is the CDburner.

Is it problem that can be solved? :?: Or should I buy a new burner? It's not expencive. :-P

I tryed another external burner "Samsung (TSSTcorp) CDDVDW SE-S084B" and it's works perfekt.

I can change the speed if I want to.

Guest preali

I just downloaded CDBurnerXP and I am delighted at the program. It is refreshing that It has a simple and functional interface as

opposed to the confused and cluttered bloatware in Nero. I have burned a few DVD's but today I tried to burn a CD using an LG DVD/CD RW

drive. I have two RW drives in my computer a Sony and the LG. The CDR's I used are older of 24X variety. I noted that choice to change speed

was not available as described in the Help manual and some posters above have seen. The program would jump in and start writing at 48X and

the CD's could not be written. I found that using the advanced features interface allowed me to lower the speed but still I could not write the

CD. The error message was that the medium was bad or the CD writer was incompatible. I have written with the LG drive at other times using

Nero. To test if the medium was bad I placed the CD's in the Sony drive and it worked fine. I will test the LG drive again with another program.

It is true, however, that the little radio button to reduce the speed was not available unless I entered with advanced options. Further if the CD was

loaded already it just started burning the CD before giving me a chance to change the speed. I would suggest that before starting the burn process

give the option to select the speed then request that the CD be loaded and if it already has been then proceed to the burning process. Again not complaining

and keep up the good work. Your program is a delight to use.

I just downloaded CDBurnerXP and I am delighted at the program. It is refreshing that It has a simple and functional interface as opposed to the confused and cluttered bloatware in Nero. . . . [and most everyone elses! (JR)] . . . .Again not complaining and keep up the good work. Your program is a delight to use.

First, let me emphasize and agree with preali - this program just SO ROCKS that I include it on any (correct that: EVERY!) custom-built PC I build - for myself or for my customers. IMHO, it's one of those "MUST HAVE!" utilities (like Ultra Edit).

Additonally, I want to add my voice to the "Override speed settings? We don't need no stinkin' Override Speed Settings!!" crowd. :lol:

I have CD Burner XP 4.3.8.2631 - the latest-and-greatest version as of 9/18/2011. Freshly downloaded and installed after removing my previous version.

In my case I am trying to burn DL-DVD's and even at 2.4x they often fail - using the best Verbatim DL media I can find. (And I pay dearly for it.) I am given two, and only two, speed choices: 2.4x and 4.8x. I was interested in "overriding" this setting and trying 1x. Unfortunately that does not seem to be available. I have not tried to burn any kind of CD for quite a while, so I cannot speak to the CD crowd.

[Edit]

I am using a laptop running Win7 Pro (64 bit) with a Hitachi-LG GSA-T40L "Slimtype" drive. And yes, I know that slimtype drives have their issues. And yes, I've updated to the latest-and-greatest firmware. I have an external enclosure that has an even later model of this drive (SATA, so it won't fit my laptop :-x ) and it burns DL like a champ - so there is obviously an issue with this particular drive itself. . . . However it still only shows these two speeds.

Update: Using the latest firmware from the rpc1.org website's database, (Viz.: http://files.rpc1.org/ --> Search), a D/L burn of just a smidge under 9gb worked like a champ! (wahoo!) I am trying a 2nd burn to make sure it's repeatable. I've been using expensive media to make beer coasters, but if I can get this [censored!] thing working, it'll be worth every disk I wasted to get to this point.

[/Edit]

Question: Should this option even be available for DVD burns? (Or do they just come in those two flavors - 2.4x and 4.8x - and it just stinks if you don't like either one.)

I would be more than happy to provide log-files, DNA samples, blood sacrifice, or whatever else you need to help track down this problem. Assuming that it's actually a problem and not just a limitation of the media/drives/etc.

p.s. @Flo:

As a fellow developer (and software QA guru) "Ahhh feel yer pain!" No matter what you do for people, there will always be the troll or five that have nothing better to do with their time than bust chops. . . .

IMHO: This is an excellent product. It's totally freeebie, it KICKS BUTT and TAKES NAMES, and puts every other burning app I've seen for Windows to ignominous shame, payware or otherwise. If you, (after getting home from your PAYING DAY-JOB), have the energy to even read these posts - let alone slam code! - I consider it a gift. And it does not go unappreciated. The only thing else that would put me in absolute HEAVEN would be a port to Linux.

(Since this appears to be a wrapper for StarBurn, maybe we could use something similar - or a port - that would wrap one of the 'nix burning back-end programs?)

Again, Kudos for a totally rocking app. :D

Jim (JR)

Forget about Linux. And Mac. Neither have I interest nor capability to work on that.

In regard to your issue (thanks for the praise btw): If you are burning data discs (not ISOs), there is not much I can do about it currently. Once I have moved to StarBurn entirely, it should work better though.

In regard to your issue (thanks for the praise btw): If you are burning data discs (not ISOs), there is not much I can do about it currently. Once I have moved to StarBurn entirely, it should work better though.

Actually, my original post kinda' got lost in the sauce. . .

My question was this: Burning DVD media, I am offered two speed choices - 2.4x & 4.8x. I also noted the absence of the "Override Speed" button in case I wanted to burn at an even slower speed than 2.4x.

Is this a limitation of the media? The burner? Or is that a "to-do" item?

[off-topic]

Forget about Linux. And Mac. Neither have I interest nor capability to work on that.

Maybe we can work something out? I am assuming that your product is a "wrapper" around API's that Starburn exposes - right?

If I knew something about how you do this or, (gasp!), had access to source code, (under the pains of a slow lingering death!), I might be able to figure out how to duplicate this process in Linux, using API's that the Linux CD burner back-ends expose.

Two caveats:

1. I've never claimed to be the hottest or smokinist programmer out there, so this might take just a teeny-tiny bit longer than 15 minutes to do. :lol:

2. Any port to Linux would - of necessity - be GPL'd or something substantially similar. This would not directly affect the Windows product, but would affect any Linux ports.

[/off-topic]

What say ye?

Jim (JR)

My question was this: Burning DVD media, I am offered two speed choices - 2.4x & 4.8x. I also noted the absence of the "Override Speed" button in case I wanted to burn at an even slower speed than 2.4x.

As I said, we are not using StarBurn here yet, so I can't make any improvements in regard to that issue currently.

If I knew something about how you do this or, (gasp!), had access to source code, (under the pains of a slow lingering death!), I might be able to figure out how to duplicate this process in Linux, using API's that the Linux CD burner back-ends expose.

1. As long as the Windows version is not working 100% to my satisfaction, I will not bother a split second with other OSes. This includes spending time on cooperation with others.

2. CDBurnerXP is written using the .NET Framework. There is no properly working replacement on the Linux side (and I doubt there will ever be), so it's not simply about replacing a single API.

3. Even if creating a Linux version were realistic, I wouldn't want to support it because I am not using Linux myself (except for servers) and do not intend to do so.

So Linux and Mac will not happen, not now and not in the future. Or rather, I believe that optical media will become extinct before I consider expanding to other OSes.

Guest dkingsbo

I also have the same issue where the "Override speed detection" button is not there. Does anyone have a thought? or is this something I must put in my registry? I have 4.3.9.2651 (the latest & greatest). If anyone has a thought, please reply to dkingsbo@live.com. thanks

@floele: So let me understand this. Let's say for example the speed detection is 4x. Override Speed Detection allowed you to choose a speed higher or lower than 4x. And recent versions no longer have that option. And this is because StarBurn is not being used yet.

Correct me if I am wrong.

This is my issue: When I try to burn, I can only burn at 4x. There is something called Other Speeds that make it seem like I can choose a higher speed or lower. So I chose this: Other Speed (8x). But it clearly still burned at 4x.