Sign in to follow this  
Spiff

[C] CDBXP 4.3.9.2809 causes Vista UAC to ask for permission

Today, on my Windows Vista SP2 32 bit machine, I updated CDBurnerXP to version 4.3.9.2809 (cdbxp_setup_4.3.9.2809_minimal.exe).

After installation in the Administrator account, I notice that in the Standard User account starting CDBurnerXP causes the Vista User Account Control (UAC) to ask for my permission to continue.

That's new. And quite odd. That didn't happen with earlier builds. With earlier builds UAC never asked for permission when starting CDBurnerXP.

With the UAC request for my permission for CDBurnerXP I choose Cancel, because, so far, I don't see any need to give my permission to run CDBurnerXP with elevated privileges.

I expected CDBurnerXP not to open without my UAC permission, but it opens anyway. (As be it not with the elevated privileges that it asked for, so I suppose.)

I haven't tested if any of the CDBurnerXP options might not work without elevated privileges.

I'm just very much puzzled that CDBurnerXP now asks for elevated privileges in a standard user account.

So now I wonder -

Are there any new CDBurnerXP options that need Administrator privileges and cause UAC to act when CDBurnerXP is opened in a standard user account?

Or - as it seems to me - is this a bug?

I'd think a disc burning utility shouldn't need elevated permissions.

By the way, there may be a difference with the standard setting for UAC in Windows 7, "Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer".

The setting in Vista is stricter: "Always notify".

I could imagine that the same thing, UAC asking permission to run CDBurnerXP with elevated privileges, can also happen with Windows 7 with UAC set to "Always notify".

Can you please check which exe file is actually trying to run? I'm pretty sure this is the updater only and not cdbxpp.exe itself. There haven't been any changes in recent releases to this mechanism.

Ah, thanks very much, Flo.

I forgot that the UAC has the option to show such details.

And yes, it was the auto updater that was trying to run:

[...]\AppData\Local\temp\CDBurnerXP-updates\[...]

I didn't know there's such an auto updater in CDBurnerXP and that it's on by default.

Disabling it is easy, of course:

CDBurnerXP > Options > General Settings > un-check "Automaticly download and install updates".

I can understand why you have chosen to set "Automaticly download and install updates" as default, but perhaps it would be better if there was a choice with installation, so that the user would know there is such an auto-updater.

I didn't know, I never found out about it, as before today UAC never prompted for permission to run the auto updater.

You say, "There haven't been any changes in recent releases to this mechanism."

That's interesting.

Could it be that the CDBurnerXP auto updater was disabled before, but had now somehow been activated with uninstalling the older version and installing the new version? Earlier, that never caused the auto updater to get enabled .

Anyhow, I'm very happy that you mentioned the updater, and that it could be disabled so easily.

Auto updaters can be neat, but as I keep close track with updates, I don't need the auto updater activated in CDBurnerXP.

Once again, thanks very much.

Well maybe you id disable it, but it does happen that sometimes when you install new version that everything is restored to default settings, thus this may have happened here.

Hi Joey,

I'm not sure if that may have happened.

Other settings were not restored to the default settings, like for instance the CDBurnerXP explorer panel settings and the folders that are shown in the explorer panel.

So I don't know what happened, what enabled auto update.

But I'm glad it could be 'fixed' so easily, with just un-checking "Automaticly download and install updates".

Could it be that the CDBurnerXP auto updater was disabled before, but had now somehow been activated with uninstalling the older version and installing the new version? Earlier, that never caused the auto updater to get enabled .

I don't think so. Settings are unaffected by setups. Maybe simply downloading the updates didn't work and thus no updater needed to execute.

Maybe simply downloading the updates didn't work and thus no updater needed to execute.

Hi Flo,

What exactly is it that you mean?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.

I've been doing the same thing with any update, since a long time: When a new CDBurnerXP build is released, I wait for the default installer without OpenCandy, I download it, I do a simple uninstall of CDBurnerXP (although I know there's no real need to uninstall), and I install the new build.

Never before the auto updater started doing it's thing.

This time the auto updater tried to start after I installed the newest build, so I suppose just to check for new updates, not to update.

If the download of the update could not complete, it will not attempt to install any update. Whatever reasons there may be for that.

Anyway, I can't really explain why you didn't notice the updater earlier, I believe you should have.

If the download of the update could not complete, it will not attempt to install any update. Whatever reasons there may be for that.

Ah, that's what you meant. Thanks.

Yes, of course, when I didn't give the updater permission when the UAC asked for it, I prevented the updater to check for any new update (and if there should've been one (which there wasn't), it would have prevented downloading and installing it), so no update actions were performed by means of the auto updater.

As I said before, I keep close track with updates and 'manually' install the new versions so I don't need the auto updater to run in CDBurnerXP - and after that mentioned encounter with the UAC I disabled the CDBurnerXP auto updater so it won't run any other time I start CDBurnerXP.

Anyway, I can't really explain why you didn't notice the updater earlier, I believe you should have.

Perhaps I may have noticed it earlier, not by it's action and the UAC coming up, but by reading about the auto updater in the CDBurnerXP changelog when the auto updater was a new option in CDBurnerXP. I can imagine I disabled it, because I don't need it, and then I just forgot about it. ;)

This could explain how I 'didn't know' about the auto updater. Perhaps I forgot about it.

But still this doesn't explain how the auto updater got enabled with manually installing 4.3.9.2809, why this setting changed, while other settings do not seem to have changed.

To me it's fine.

I'll keep the auto updater disabled, and if it might get re-enabled again, I'll disable it once more.

With manually installing a next build, might I notice something strange, some mechanism re-enabling the auto updater, then I'll let you know. :)

Thanks again.