Sign in to follow this  
Batt

NMSAccess

In the next version, is it possible to add a small description of this service?

These days, with spyware running rampant, Consultants may mistake this service as spyware and disable it without researching it. I am a consultant myself, and the services with no descriptions always draw my eye.

That is true, but if a user installs it themselves, then gets a load of spyware, then calls a consultant to help them, the consultant will not know. It is a simple registry entry to add the description...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NMSAccess]

"Description"="Allows Non-Admins to use the CDBurnerXP Application"

This was a very hard one to find in the various process ID websites, even 2 years after the OP.

The same was true for NMSAccessU.exe. Only 2 out of 15 websites even "knew" about either of these processes, so I'm glad to see you will be providing a file description in the Registry. As of version 4.0.022.370 the file description seems to still be blank.

Is the following claim correct?

According to file.net (a process ID website) this process is ONLY required if you need to permit NON-administrative users the permission to burn a CD/DVD

If you're are the administrator, this process should not be required and you can terminate it from your process list via TaskManager.

If the above is true, I would also like to know how to keep either of these from loading in the first place (see edit below) I'm running as the administrator, and I do not need un-necessary software complicating things. Especially as soon after I installed CDburnerXP, my system started to lock up at totally unpredicatable times.

Thanks

edit to add:

I was able to keep NMSAccessU.exe from loading by setting it to 'Manual' in 'services' ( run>>services.msc )

Is the following claim correct?

According to file.net (a process ID website) this process is ONLY required if you need to permit NON-administrative users the permission to burn a CD/DVD

That's correct.

If you're are the administrator, this process should not be required and you can terminate it from your process list via TaskManager.

If the above is true, I would also like to know how to keep either of these from loading in the first place I'm running as the administrator, and I do not need un-necessary software complicating things.

In this case you don't have to install the NMSAccess service. You can choose to install it whether or not in the Installation wizard of CDBurner XP.

Guest Mr. Upset
In the next version, is it possible to add a small description of this service?

These days, with spyware running rampant, Consultants may mistake this service as spyware and disable it without researching it. I am a consultant myself, and the services with no descriptions always draw my eye.

I just uninstalled CDburnerXP.

Good Riddance.