Sign in to follow this  
Gerdinand

Audio cd won't play

Hello,

Hadn't burned any cd for a loooong time but today my dad requested to make him an explanation how to make an audio cd on his computer (reasonable fresh and good specced). Anyway, I was able to burn audio-cd's using CDBXP (version 4.4.0.2838) but they don't work on one specific cd-player: my dads :? . I used mp3s as a base as my dad has bought a turntable-to-mp3-convert-device so he can put his oldskool records on cd (the man is 68 :D ). Mind you that the cd's actually did play on a different cd-player, my car-cd-player and his car-cd-player.

What I tried/did:

- selecting MP3s in 'audiocompilatie', did NOT put too much on the cd as I was in the tryingprocess (usually 2 or 3 songs)

- finalise cd was enabled

- inserted 2 seconds between songs was enabled

- Used 2 types of CD-R's and 1 type of CD-RW. All worked in my car, none worked on his home cd-player

- tried burning at a lower speed (8x instead of 48x) - no result, cd's work everywhere except at my dads home cd-player...

- Got some old CD-R audio-disks that I burned 5 years ago for myself. Took them to my dad's cd-player: 4/5 worked.

- Took another example of a type of initially failing CD-R to an old computer we had sitting somewhere in a pile of dust. Copied a couple of songs from an original cd to this disk (using some oldskool software), 'finalized' it, put it in the cd-player of my dad: worked (so disk-type was not the problem, which was my original thought).

- Got puzzled on what else it could be and remembered to have seen 'forums' when checking the website earlier in the afternoon :D !

DVD-writer is a samsung SHS183A SATA

So basically the question is if this is a known bug, if it could be related to the cd-player of my dad and most importantly: is there a trick to solve the problem using the SW?

I don't think there is a way to burn the disc differently with CDBXP. According to your experiments, it seems like some brands of CD-R work better than others (CD-RW are less likely to work), so maybe you should just burn the tracks on a particular CD-R brand?

Maybe check the firmware on your burning drive is up to date? I understand that sometimes the firmware is updated to cope with different colours / types of dyes use on the discs. Maybe your Dad's CD player cannot cope with the differing dyes. I have seen this once before on a Vauxhall Omega CD player. I tried to burn different discs and none of them worked on this particular player. Is it possible to update the CD player Firmware??

Maybe check the firmware on your burning drive is up to date? I understand that sometimes the firmware is updated to cope with different colours / types of dyes use on the discs. Maybe your Dad's CD player cannot cope with the differing dyes. I have seen this once before on a Vauxhall Omega CD player. I tried to burn different discs and none of them worked on this particular player. Is it possible to update the CD player Firmware??

I'd be surprised if it is possible to update the cd-player, it simply a mini-tower set of 10 years old or so. The firmware of the burner could be possible, but I have not an idea yet on how to check the current version (and if upgrades are supported/available)...

The next thing I wanted to try was indeed using more types of CD-R's to see if it would make any difference, but that was untill I managed to burn a cd on a different computer using a CD-R that failed using CDBXP on the 'most up-to-date-computer-in-the-house'.

Thanks so far anyway :)

Guest Molly

Well I am not quite as old as your dear Dad :lol: but, I too have an older stereo (think 10 years+) because I saw no need to replace something that still works fine. I did manage to solve this problem on my own recently.

My issue was that CDs I burned a few years back (all different brands too) played fine in this old stereo but newly burned CDs simply showed 'no disc'. The only thing that had changed in the interim was that I had a spiffy new burner - and the issue I found was that the burner was automatically burning my CDs at 48x.

So, after MUCH trial and error, this is the only way I can now burn CDs and expect them to play everywhere:

-Used Nero Burning Rom from Nero 7...though later editions may work with the Burning Rom too

(Nero Express and other programs did not work however, because they DO NOT allow the Read speed to be selected)

-Set the write speed at 16x

-Set the Read speed at 2x (MOST IMPORTANT!!)

-make sure you are using the disc-at-once option

-make sure that finalize disc is checked

ALSO IMPORTANT - double-check the above after the blank CD is in machine, but before pressing burn

VOILA!! Old stereo + burned CDs are good to go!! :D

-->Just a note that because I needed to try ALL angles, that I did try every single write speed from 8x up to 48x with the 2x Read speed...and the ONLY one that worked was 16x.

I hope you can persevere and something works out for you, such a gem for helping your Dad. <3

Labour intensive :lol: !

Anyhow, as we don't have Nero and it seems to be a bit of a challenge to find a free copy of Nero without exposing one-self to too much online threats (I found 60 euro just to exclude something quite a lot) I figured out a 'workaround' myself as well, just today. Over the weekend I tried 'Nero Kwik Media' but again no result, as well as Express Burn Disc Burning Software, both with no result. Earlier I tried using simply Windows Media player but that to did not do the job.

As I mentioned before the old computer was still sitting upstairs pretty much doing absolutely nothing with oldskool software. Problem of this software is that it is not capable of converting MP3s into audio-cd's. What it is capable of, however, is copying audio-cd's. So just this afternoon I burned an audio-cd at 48x speed or something like, took it upstairs, copied it and voila, it worked. LUCKELY enough dad's stack of old vinyl that needs to be converted is not that big...

Anyway, Molly, thanks for the suggestion, it's probably quite close to the solution. Maybe if we together look very nicely at the people of CDBXP they will enable something in their SW to change read and burn speed :yes::lol: .

Guest Eric

Molly,

I got the same issue but it's my CD player in my 2002 Buick Park Avenue that's not liking my burned CD. Purchased a new desktop computer back in January and started using CD Burner XP as my burning software. As a test, everything went fine as far as the software communicating with the CD-DVD burner, but once I inserted my disk into my car CD-player, I get an error message. My previous experience with my old Sony CD-burner in my Dell computer, Nero Version 6 was used and the burned speed was set at 4x. I'm never in a hurry to burn a CD, so I could care less about speed. I do have a copy of Nero version 7 so I am anxious to give your instructions a try.