I downloaded and installed CDBurnerXP v 4.5.3.4746 yesterday.  Installed it in default location except on drive D:.  I'm trying to burn the latest Ubuntu version .iso file to DVD.  It takes 2  or more hours for the program to calculate the time remaining.   After 4 hours, 41 minutes, the time remaining is 7279 minutes!  Five days seems to be a rather long time to burn a DVD+R at 16x.

I'm using XP Home SP-3 and an LG model GH22LP21 with Memorex DVD+R's.  I have several versions of .NET Framework and I turned off McAfee Continuous Scan.  Windows Task Manager is the only other program running, and it shows CPU usage at 4 to 5% for hours at a time. 

Is there any way to get better speed out of CDBurnerXP?

Thanks for your suggestion to try SPTD.

After enabling SPTD, CDBurnerXP calculated (after somewhere between 44 and 82 minutes) that after 82 minutes, 7429 more minutes would be required.  I then tried some other tests:

1)  On CD-R, CDBurnerXP burned a 1.5MB iso in 24 seconds at 52x.

2)  I also burned a 283,648KB iso in 89 seconds on the same 52x CD.   Yet CDBurnerXP calculated (in 24 minutes) that it would take 2340 more minutes to burn the same iso on a DVD+R 16x.

It is plain that CDBurnerXP and my drive don't cooperate to burn DVD+R's.

Since the problem seems specific to a certain media type, I'd also suggest trying to update the firmware of your drive. Maybe that fixes a particular issue with this media.

If that does not help either, you could send me a log file (link same as above), maybe it reveals the issue.

I called LG yesterday.  They suggested that I try a different computer to drive the DVD writer.  Instead, I installed a USB to IDE converter on my computer to connect the DVD writer via the USB port--and it worked!  It took 3 minutes to write a million bytes to the DVD.

CDBurnerXP is completely exonerated.  It seems that I have an IDE problem, which I never would have guessed, since all the other read/write functions on the drive seem to work great.

Thanks for your interest and your suggestions.