Hi, I am new to DVD's I am trying to record a data disc. The disc capacity is 4.7 GB. I calculated that the files I wanted to record totaled 4.383 GB. Yet, when I tried to finalize the disk, I got a message: There is not enough free space on the disc. Do you want to erase it now?" So I erased files which totaled 852 MB. This left 3.531 GB to record. Yet, when I tried to finalize the disk, it still told me not enough free space. What is the problem? Thanks for your help.

Can you show me the screenshot of that dialog? It usually tells you how much space is available and how much space is required, from that information it should be possible to determine whether the amount of data you burn is too high for the disc type.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Hi,

The 'No Free Space' issue occurs for me as well when using the command line tool: cdbxpcmd.exe

Is there a fix for this? I've tried installing the latest version (cdbxp_setup_4.4.0.3018.exe), but still has the issue.

Thanks for any info!

Guest Guest

Hi floele,

here's the command line output:

Starting to write disc...1599 Files, Size: 681.27 MB

An error (289) occured while executing the command: Disc no free space

No free space

Thank you!

Guest Guest

Hi Flo,

the correct drive should be selected because i first check which drive has a disc in it. The kind of disc i used were generic JVC CDR.

Thank you for helping.

Guest Guest

Hi Flo,

when the disc is loaded in the drive, the properties of the DVD RW drive states the disc has 702 MB of free space. So it should be enough to burn 681 MB of data.

Guest Guest

Hi Flo,

less data works, but the threshold seems to fluctuate. So to be safe, I would have to limit my data size to 400MB, which is not efficient because I would have to span to additional CDs. I say the threshold fluctuate because the size reported by CDBurnerXP doesn't match up with the size when I right-click my data folder and check the properties. CDBurnerXP always report a greater size.

That is to be expected though. It is always more space required than just the "raw" size if the files. Disc spanning is not yet possible with the command line version, but it is possible to implement in ver. 4.5 and later.

Guest Guest

Hi Flo,

I was able to burn the exact same set of data manually using CDBurnerXP's gui tool without any problems. Unfortunately, my program needs to be automated so I need to use the command line tool. Is there a way to turn off checking size of data in the command line tool? I know there should be enough space on the CD because I do a check on the size of the data in my program before trying to burn them on the CD. Plus I have no problems at all using CDBurnerXP's gui tool to burn them. It's only the command line tool that's erroring out with Error 289 (No Free Space). I am using the exact same disc media in both cases. Maybe I'm not executing the command correctly for the command line version of the tool. Here's what I have:

--burn-data -device:1 -name:"Test" -folder:c:\cd\test

Am I sending the commands correctly?

Thank you for your assistance.

Guest Guest

One interesting info I forgot to mention is the discrepancy in the size of the data. The CDBurnerXP's gui tool report the data size at 669.25 MB while the command line version of the tool reports the size at 688.21 MB and gives the No Free Space error.

So it seems like the command line tool is not calculating the size correctly?

Things I have tried:

• burning at a slower speed
  • -sptd option

Nothing has worked so far. I am hoping that there's an option in the command line tool to at least bypass the checking of the data size, otherwise, I might have to look for another command line tool to use...which I am loathe to do since CDBurnerXP is so easy to use and works well for the most part (kudos to the creators/developers).

The GUI version may behave different, because another burning library is used there. The command line version has the "better" burning library though.

I cannot prevent this error programmatically. The only option I could offer is that you send me your files, I will let StarBurn check whether or not the file size is detected correctly, and if not, I can release a fixed version as soon as StarBurn provides me with an update.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have a related question regarding command line usage of this program. I need to be able to burn data to a CD and also finalize the disc in the command line as part of our accepted procedure to burn data to a disc. Is this doable?

Thank you.