Guest Rene

[C] Relaxing ISO restrictions (like in Nero?) and longer filenames...

Guest Rene

especially more characters in filenames are important.

i tried burning 2 mp3-iso-cds with long filenames, onw with nero one with cdburnerxp.

cdburnerxp shortened the filenames and nero left them long.

it results in almost identical cds; the only difference is a timestamp and the filenames.

here´s an example:

Nero:

025 Madonna feat. M.I.A. & Nicki Minaj - Give Me All Your Luvin' (Party Rock Remix).mp3

CDBurnerXP

025 Madonna feat. M.I.A. & Nicki Minaj - Give Me All Your Lu.mp3

oh, I forgot: "allow file names up to 103 characters" was checked of course!

Nero can let 255+ characters be ok in more than 8 subdirs... maybe i need this?

somewhere somehow?

but with these features cdburnerxp will be even better than it is now!! just imagine! ;-)

so far,

thanks in advance,

hallo from germany,

Rene

That's not the point!!! The program has an option to let use longer names on Joliet and this option is ignored!

Using UDP is not a solution but a trick. That is a bug (the ignored option I mean)

With 4.5 you can use 103 (ISO/Joliet) or 127 (UDF) chars. Increasing this limit is not currently possible, but older versions of CDBurnerXP couldn't do more either.

I have installed latest version on a virtual XP (running on VirtualBox), then I have created a folder with a name lenght=114 chars, then I have created inside a text file with name lenght=114 chars.

I have checked that file system was configured as ISO+Joliet (and not UDF)

I have added the folder to an empty project and I get immediately an error and the folder wasn't added! Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040275

Previous version were stripping the name lenght...

Attached a zip with my long name folder/file so you can redo the test and the pgm's debug log!

LongName.zip

StarBurn.zip

I have shortened folder/file to 107 chars (as reported by the pgm itself, not 103 as wrote by you) and the folder was added but the same error was produced. At least this time the folder was added to the compilation, but not the file!

Long107.zip

Ok, I have understood: with 107 the pgm is refering to extension included. You should better explain on the restriction window!! (or just write 103 as in v4.4...)

But reporting an exception is not very polite...

Anyway is still better that v4.4 were the max was the standard 64! :yes:

Actually it will be much better to let the user decide: the pgm should note the longer names like wrtting them in red/bold and a pop-up just before burning (or saving as iso) should ask what to do:

1) shortening names automatically

2) remove the files

3) cancel the process

This would indeed be a great feature to have. It amazes me that even with recent versions of UDF, one still cannot get filename lengths as long as FAT32. Apparently this is due to UDF requiring Unicode (which essentially doubles the byte count), and Floele has indicated for some reason that...

Not using Unicode is not supported at this point and won't help a lot of users either, because ASCII only is not an option for most of them.

( Source )

However, at least as of recently, CDBurnerXP will now prompt us to truncate such lengthy filenames. Not a great solution for archiving, but it's better than nothing. Perhaps there will be a way to export the filenames into a meta-file (such as a BAT) that can automatically rename the entire disc if ever extracted to a writeable medium. That would indeed be convenient.

P.S. I'm still confused at "file names may be as long as 255 bytes (that is, 254 8-bit or 127 16-bit Unicode characters)" on this page. Is there any way to tell CDBurnerXP to use "8-bit" characters (assuming they are such in the first place)?

8 bit chars are not supported and I'm not sure if that is actually possible.

Linux'  udf tools have an option

--u8 Use 8-bit unicode for file names

So it is permitted by the filesystem, of course you need support in the burning library in the case of cdburnerxp.