Sign in to follow this  
Guest David

Gui incompatible with command line

Guest David

I'm using CDBurnerXP as a method to test cd burners, as I have a large number of them, and want to make sure that they all work.

The command line version is perfect for me, and I have it working in that it burns files, but it can't burn them so that windows XP will recognize that the drive is not finalized. After I burn a disc, it always says that the disc has 0 bytes free.

cdbxpcmd.exe --burn-data -device:1 -file[\]:"%TEMP%\!burntime!.txt" -verify -tao -import

This is what I'm using to burn a test text file to the CD. I can get the previous session imported, but when I look at the CD in the GUI, it doesn't let me continue the disc, and when I look at the disc information, it tells me there are multiple sessions on the disc.

Here's an image of what it looks like.

As you can see there are 3 separate sessions, each of which are burning a 100 byte file, which translates into 1.09 MB somehow, and each time I burn, the GUI reports that 18 MB are used up per session. Currently the disc only has 3 100 byte files on it, and it says there are 52.8 MB used.

How can I get the cd to stay on the same session and not burn a brand new session each time? I would rather not use CD-RWs, but if it takes 18 MB to burn each time, then using CRs is extremely wasteful as I can only check 38 drives on one CD. Is there a way I can get it to also be compatible with windows' default burning, or at least recognize that there is plenty of space left?

What Windows does is entirely different to the method used by CDBurnerXP. You cannot continue a session in CDBurnerXP, you can only create new sessions. What you apparently intend to do is packet writing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_writing) which is not supported by CDBurnerXP (most burning applications actually).

And yes, the command line version's sessions cannot be read by the GUI of CDBurnerXP yet, this will follow with version 4.5.