Sign in to follow this  
MHobbit

[closed] No .NET Framework requirement

I just went to the downloads page, and saw at the bottom something that says that future versions of CDXPPro will need the .NET framework. Please say it isn't so! :P Anyways I would prefer that CDXPPro will not require it, unless there are some advantages (if the devs chose this there of course are some). Of course what I want makes no matter... :D

Yes, we will use .NET in future, starting with version 3.5 The big new feature (advantage) we get should be multilanguage support and maybe smaller filesize/easier development...who knows :roll:

Guest Karl

NO NO please stay away from .Net :!:

That will nail you down to M$ only.

Think multiplatform, please.

You never know what platform you might want to port in the future :idea:

-Karl

I don't think that VB is easier to port it to other platforms than VB.NET...and even if, it is VERY unlikely that it will be ported in near future ;)

personally i use between 5/10 apps that require .net and have found no problem with them so i think that the developers are making a very wise decison on moving to the platform it will be better in the long run

Other than upcoming versions of windows that may require it, you will loose a lot of support going to it.

Many people such as me wont go near it for the fact they don't want to screw up a perfect working system by installing another MS (update)//i'll call it.

It makes developing programs easier, I understand...but the end result in the OS is more bloat. :oops:

Many of us like to keep the OS [XP in my case] as lean as possible, rather than installing all the extra 'patches and updates' on a weekly basis that more often than not interfere with installed programs, we use alternative measures to thwart internet threats such as browsers that allow script and activex download to be switched at will, along with application firewalls and NAT routers.

I use a virgin copy of XP 512600 and have had no problems........runs smooth as silk, well I better shut up....just thought I would forward my opinion of .NET

As far as language packs and such, you could try talking to the authors of MyIE[now maxthon]...theres many resources there......... Thanks for the great program! :wink2:

Guest doesn't matter

schade, eigentlich ein schönes Programm aber bevor ich mir .NET draufhau benutze ich lieber wieder Nero..

Sooner or later you have to install .NET anyway. Future OSes will have .NET included, and you also don't have to worry about interfering .NET with other applications or having to install weekly updates. Since .NET started it has been updated twice until now.

I really don't see a problem with it at all. What is the difference in installing vb runtimes compared to .net framwork? Same as you do running java stuff which requires the JRE. Net framework will be part of newer OS from MS whether you like it or not. Question is do we want CDBXP to hang onto the old style which most likely will put it in a grave soon enough or do you want us to continue making CDBXP in the future?

With .net, CDBurnerXP Pro will be much more portable than with VB6. VB6 can't really handle Unicode; it has big problems with WinXP themes; VB6 programs are difficult to localize; they'll probably never run on anything other than Windows (or its clone ReactOS); VB6 doesn't get improved anymore (the last version is from 1998!); VB6 is proprietary... I'll stop here.

Now take .net: It's object orientation in perfection; it's an ECMA standard; .net programs are very easy to localize; it fully supports Unicode; there're no problems with WinXP themes; the Mono Project brings .net to other systems than Windows (maybe CDBXPP will run on Linux one day;)); .net is under heavy development... Enough?

Now all you MS haters, tell me again that .net is more evil than VB6! The one and only big disadvantage of .net compared to VB6 is the larger runtime. But since many of us have DSL and .net will be included with Windows in the future, I don't see any problem here.

/just my 2 ct

@Flo: Don't say I haven't warned you.;)

Well, I knew that such comlaints would come anyway...I did not like .NET that much too until I developed a program myself with .NET. Very comfortable :)

jepers people.... NET only sucks if you have a slow computer :P

I'll support anything that lessens the load on Fredrik.H and Flo....and if .NET does that for you, then go with it ^_^

Guest Karl

@Flo,

Have a look at Python, maybe with WxWindows (WxGlage :idea:)

That will bring your software to just about every platform ;)

-Karl

Guest Juve

I think it is a good idea to move to the .Net (VB or C#) enviroment:

- .Net applications are more compatible with all Microsoft platform (9x and NT)

- .Net is more powerful... for example with .Net you can create multithreading applications, while, with VB6, this is a problem!

- All .Net controls support XP-themes, so the application will look nicer!

- In Windows Server 2003 (and in the future versions of Windows ) the .Net Framework is installed by default, so there is no need to download the 23M installer.

Ciao!

NO NO please stay away from .Net :!:

That will nail you down to M$ only.

Think multiplatform, please.

You never know what platform you might want to port in the future :idea:

-Karl

i thought this was funny.

a program with "XP Pro" in its name going multiplatform.

i'm not a big fan of .NET installed on my system, but i do believe .NET makes things easier on the programmers, and things more future proof (for Windows at least)

Guest Eregil

Out of curiosity, is it going to be possible to keep 3.0 (VB6) and 3.5 (.NET) installed at the same time on a computer, or are the two versions going to conflict?

Guest Eregil

Not particularly, just curious - in case that had already been determined - if it would be possible to try out 3.5 without uninstalling 3.0, but it's not crucial for me, and surely you don't have to twist your brains to make it possible if that would be hard to do.

When 3.0 became available I wasn't bothered at all with having to uninstall 2.x to make the switch...

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.