dellwo

[C] BUG: Every other disc "Poor Quality"

I was stunned when every other disc I tried would get the message:

"An error occured while burning the disc. Most likely the disc is not usable.... poor quality..." etc

Finally figured out that the first time I click Burn from the Data Compilation window I get this error. If I replace the disc in the Burn Disc window it burns fine. Even if it is the same disc. I don't actually have to throw out 50% of my discs!

It does this on my laptop and desktop, with cd's and dvd's.

Window 7 64bit

cdburnerxp 4.4.1.3184

Thanks, Joe

Same thing just happend to me.

I was recording some DVDs and I restarted the program. When I started it again it found a new update (4.4.1.3184). When I installed it then the message started appearing with every DVD.

I use W7 64bits.

Thanks.

This error is certainly not caused by a software update (there were no changes that could cause this error). It is more likely that the hardware has a defect or you got a bad set of discs.

On my laptop and my desktop, with cd's and dvd's... all of which have worked perfectly previously.

Also, what about the part where, when it's waiting for a new disc I use the same one with no errors or issues.

I never said it was the update ... but it is certainly not my hardware. Never happened with Nero.

This error is certainly not caused by a software update (there were no changes that could cause this error). It is more likely that the hardware has a defect or you got a bad set of discs.

I hate to burst your bubble, but exactly the same thing happens on my Windows XP Home (SP3) installation after I installed version 4.4.1.3184. The message is the same as shown by Dellwo above. After it happened two times in a row, I uninstalled CDBurnerXP and re-installed the previous version 4.4.1.3099. And now everything works fine, just as always.

So your belief that this update couldn't possibly cause this effect is misplaced.

We are also seeing this same issue. Here is the helpdesk message that was sent to me by one of our users.

"I am getting this message pretty much on every disk I put in the drive. After closing the program and relaunching it, it will sometimes burn on the same disk that gave the error. Most times I have to close out the program a couple of times before it will burn. I updated CDBurnerXP last week and that is when the issue started and is getting worse. I have restarted my computer to see if that helps and it doesn't."

This is a follow up message. I got to thinking and I have a possible avenue for you to explore to track down this problem. It relates to your installer.

Normally, unless I really trust the S/W developer, I go through a deep uninstall using Uninstaller Pro, followed by a reboot, before installing an update. I find this avoids many problems. But this time I didn't. I just installed directly over the existing software. It occurs to me that your installer might not be either fully testing error conditions or leaving some old artifacts in place, like installed system services or dynamic link libraries. As info flashed onscreen it appeared that your installer was at least trying to do some cleanup, but as a S/W developer myself I know this is hardly error proof.

Anyway, this is at least something to consider. The quality of your software convinces me that you really do know what you are doing, so the issue might be fairly subtle.

Hm...if 3099 still works reliably, I can only think of a single change that could possibly cause a problem. The installer should not be to blame though.

I'll undo this change for tomorrow's build. I'd be grateful if one of you who got this problem could download and check it at http://daily.cdburnerxp.se/ tomorrow (rev 3242 or higher), so I can be sure whether or not that change actually makes a difference.

Ok, I installed Version 4.4.1.3243 (32-bit) and tried again. I burned two DVDs and there were no problems at all, either in the burning process or in reading the discs. Of course, one test like this isn't definitive, but I think it's likely that you have fixed the problem. For further reference, I am running with these options on a Samsung SD-616 16x DVD writer:

Burn Speed

16x

Burn Method

Disc at Once

Burn Options

Use buffer protection

Finalize disc

Eject disc after burning

Thanks for the prompt attention.

OK, I have released this version now, let's see how it does. I need to find a new fix for the bug though that was meant to be fixed with that change.

Receiving the below message with every single disc and can't find any workaround. Have tried the last few releases. All other burn programs working fine. I noticed that despite using the 3243 installer, the version listed in 'About' still says 3241.

Current version: 4.4.1.3243 64bit

Win 7 64 bit

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT50N (listed compatible drive)

post-56480-0-72222100-1340738632_thumb.p

Many thanks.

It appears to have fixed my problem as well.

I tried 3 times with one disk on the original version with no success.

Same disk on new version worked. Plus another couple disks.

One other problem...

Since I didn't want to wait for the entire burn, I cancelled it.

Each time, it said it aborted succesfully but when returning to main

screen, it locked up and I had to kill it in Process monitor.

[edit: Last time I let it sit and after 10-15 minutes it recovered.

I think it has trouble with the aborted disk.]

@joegevans: That is a completely different issue and should not be discussed here. I guess it will be fixed in 4.5 though with an updated StarBurn engine.

@dellwo: Feel free to check that in 4.5 again, I can't address this in the current version.

I had the same problem. CDBurnerXP would stop half way saying that the disc or drive may be of poor quality.

It took me ages to find a fix for the problem but I figured it out.

I use Kaspersky anti-virus. I paused the program for the time it takes to burn a disc (about 15 mins)

Poor Quality problem fixed for me. :-P

I hope this helps some of you.

I now need to find a solution for another problem: Writing Leadout

I dont know if it is the same error, but i tried writing 3 cds from the same single source CD and on the third CD i got the above error.

I literally downloaded and installed the software 10 minutes ago.

13:05:42 Disc copy started.

13:07:54 Started burning the extracted image to disc

13:07:59 Writing process started at 24x (4,234 KB/s)

13:10:23 Copying disc was completed successfully.

13:10:24 Disc copy started.

13:10:45 Started burning the extracted image to disc

13:10:54 Writing process started at 24x (4,234 KB/s)

13:13:12 Copying disc was completed successfully.

13:13:13 Disc copy started.

13:13:31 Started burning the extracted image to disc

13:13:36 Writing process started at 24x (4,234 KB/s)

13:13:40 Error occurred: Internal SDK error: CStarBurn_ScsiTransportSPTI::ExecuteCDB(): Command failed Valid = yes, CDB Size = 10, Sense Size = 32 CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Sense 00: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 A9 00 00 21 02 00 00 Sense 10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Transport status = 0, Target Status = 2, HostAdapter Status = 0

13:13:47 Copying disc was completed successfully.

(which it obviously wasn't)

Then instead of trying to write the third disk like i asked the software initially it just sat there as though it had done like it was asked. So i put the CD back in to copy it and it worked fine. Nothing wrong.

13:14:44 Disc copy started.

13:18:37 Started burning the extracted image to disc

13:18:45 Writing process started at 24x (4,234 KB/s)