Sign in to follow this  
videoroot

Command line does not work in DVD Player but Video DVD with GUI does

I have been trying to figure out what is different (or missing) when using the command line versus the GUI Video DVD wizard. I am able to burn my files using the GUI Video DVD layout and the DVD plays on all DVD players. When using the command line it does not play on DVD players. Since I cannot save a "layout" file when in the Video DVD Wizard/layout I cannot even use that option in the command line to just pull up the same settings and go. I have tried forcing the udf to 1.02 but that is already the default so that is not going to work. I tried disk at once but my burner does not support it but since I can still burn using the Video DVD wizard gui with the same burner that is not the problem. I also tried forcing slower speeds but still nothing. I tried with and without closing and still nothing. Reads find in pc but not in dvd players from command line. Here are a couple command lines I have tried:

Windows XP

"C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\cdbxpcmd.exe" --burn-data -device:1 -name:"My DVD" -folder[\]:"C:\Videos\dvdfiles" -speed:16 -udf:1.02 -close -eject

and without the udf argument using speed 16x:

"C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\cdbxpcmd.exe" --burn-data -device:1 -name:"My DVD" -folder[\]:"C:\Videos\dvdfiles" -speed:16 -close -eject

and without the udf argument using speed 8x:

"C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\cdbxpcmd.exe" --burn-data -device:1 -name:"My DVD" -folder[\]:"C:\Videos\dvdfiles" -speed:8 -close -eject

and withouth udf and speed argument:

"C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\cdbxpcmd.exe" --burn-data -device:1 -name:"My DVD" -folder[\]:"C:\Videos\dvdfiles" -speed:16 -close -eject

I am assuming it has something to do with either modifying the IFO on the fly or producing any lead in or other necessary gaps but how can I use the command line to solve it. Can anyone assist?

Bummer, any idea when it may be? Or possibly hint to any other temporary software or solution in the meantime? Truly appreciate anything you can do to assist me in completing this very important project. Happy Halloween!

Nicely done Admin! Worked first time. Please accept my sincerest thank you! I will now be able to make many familes very happy! If you have an extra minute some time, can you tell me what the difference is with burn video for my own edification? I pasted the Command Line below and I will also paste below some more text to help with indexing in search engines so others do not have to waste time like I did trying to find a command line burner solution that only exists here now with CDBurnerXP.

Windows XP - Command I used:

"C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\cdbxpcmd.exe" --burn-video -device:1 -name:"MY DVD" -folder[\]:"C:\Videos\dvdfiles\VIDEO_TS" -close -eject

43 minute video, about 1.67GB burned in 4 mins (burner has 16x capablility)

Here is some of the things CDburnerXP solved for me:

My project included using a Windows XP pc to capture using a dshow device. Muxing (multiplexing) it, porting it to a dvd architecture and then buring it out to a video dvd. After managing to capture, muxing and porting to a dvd structure I could not find any command line dvd burning software that would work. Most were for linux (which I love but cannot use for this project) and their ports to windows were not successfully working for me. cdrecord / cdrtools would not work without alot of complaints and I did not want to have to install a full cygwin to test further. commandlineburner did not work and did not have good documentation or support I could find. I was able to get CDBurnerXP to work for all my data command line burning requirements of the project but could not get it to burn a video dvd that would play in regular dvd players. I could not find any other command line cd dvd burning software. The only other alternative is to use mkisofs to create and iso then ISOWriter to burn the iso. That is two redundant steps that add time and complexity to the process while using alot of space that should not be neccesary. So I kept coming back and testing with CDBurnerXP because it was so close and using the GUI I could burn cd's dvd's video dvd's with the exact same data quickly and without any issue. Most importantly the dvd's could be read on any dvd player. So I figured it had to be something simple like a lead in or closing gap or something. Finally, I asked at the forum (ie the post your reading) and it turned out the burn-video was not there YET. I never expected the administrator to help AND FAST by porting the dvd video function for command line usage. BUT THE ADMINISTRATOR WAS VERY SUPPORTIVE and updated the software in a day. That is support (frankly I don't think I have ever seen before)! Now I can finish my project without a bunch of work arounds that add time to a project where saving time is the point.

You cannot find a better buring product for windows to burn cd, data dvd or video dvd using command line or gui and especially for free than CDBurnerXP!!!

Thanks again Admin!!

Glad that it works for you :)

I'm not entirely sure what is done technically different when burning a video DVD, but it requires certain method of burning the data, so I had to add it to the command line version. Not too much work, so I just added the feature instead of putting it on some kind of todo list.