Sign in to follow this  
OverDose

CDBurnerXP issues on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Hi,

I've been using CDBurnerXP on the same desktop machine, running same system components and using Windows XP 32bit SP3 as an OS, and have never had any issues. I used it with 3 opitcal drives:

1) SONY DVD RW DRU-800A ATA Drive (Firmware KY06)

2) LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S ATA Drive (Firmware HS0E)

3) LG HL-DT-DT DVD-RAM GSA-H55L (Firmware 1.05)

And also had Acohol 120% as my CD emulation software. So all was dandy.

Then all I did was to change my OS from Windows XP SP3, to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and also ugraded my RAM from 2GB to 4GB, just to breathe some new life into an old system. I re-installed all the same software I had while on Windows XP, but using the 64 bit versions where I could find it.

CDBurnerXP now has 2 noticeable bugs when I use it in this environment:

1) CDBurnerXP takes a while start up and show on screen after I double click it (up to 1min or sometimes more)

2). Does not recognise 2 of the 3 drives that I have internally on my machine. These used to work just fine on Windows XP SP3 32bit. Not picking up the LITE-ON SHM-165H6S & the LG HL-DT-DT DVD-RAM GSA-H55L.

The SONY drive is seen just fine.

post-57337-0-43121800-1359941338_thumb.j

I have been to the troubleshooting guide, and that does not seem to help me any, as I they all worked on my previous OS.

The version I had installed on Windows 7 was before the current one, so I went online and downloaded v4.5.0.3717 which is now installed on my desktop, and is still doing the same thing for both the unrecognised drives.

When in CDBurnerXP, I can click on "Recorder>Device Information" and then select on the two unrecognised drives, but it doesn't show max read & write speeds and also show the correct media formats that the drives can operate on.

post-57337-0-26858100-1359941409_thumb.j

post-57337-0-17983600-1359941425_thumb.j

What is the solution for this, as I would like to use the software the way I was using it before?

Thanks.

If the drives are not recognised, I assume you are still running an older version of CDBurnerXP (4.4) despite having installed the 4.5 version somewhere. Please verify the version number in the about screen. 4.5 should recognise all drives just fine.

If the drives are not recognised, I assume you are still running an older version of CDBurnerXP (4.4) despite having installed the 4.5 version somewhere. Please verify the version number in the about screen. 4.5 should recognise all drives just fine.

Hi, I made definitely sure that I uninstalled the previous version using Revo Uninstaller Pro, and I cleaned off any remaining traces of CDBurnerXp using Revo, then I cleaned system with CCleaner, tnen I checked for any registry issues and then rebooted machine. Then I did a clean install of the latest version of the software and then I rebooted machine.

See version no. below

post-57337-0-89024600-1360082218_thumb.j

In both the previous and current versions, I still experience:

1). Slow startup time of the software. (min. 40sec or more)

2). My two drives are still not recognised when I choose to write any type of media. Only my SONY drive is detected in the software.

Here is what shows (see below), even though in "Device Information" the other two drives appear, but when I want to burn anything, they are not detected:

post-57337-0-95096000-1360082463_thumb.j

So I most definitely have the right version.

So would it be correct to conclude CD Burner XP's current version (when NOT on Windows XP) is not very compatible with many drives and also does not operate at its optimum? Seeing as I have not had any further assistance, response or comments regarding the 2 issues I am experiencing in my previous posts?

CDBurnerXP 4.5 is actually very compatible. You might want to try SPTD mode (http://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/18), the slow startup time would indicate that acess to the other drives is prevented by other applications on the system (AV, CD emulation software etc.) so you can't use them. SPTD solves that (at least it's supposed to), but requires an additional driver.

I have disabled any and all virtual drives on my machine. And then I just re-installed the SPTD driver (same version number v1.83 64bit) and restarted machine. I then started up CDBurnerXP and still the same two issues are happening.

I then clicked the create a log button in options and have attached my log file in this post. Maybe this will give a better idea of what is going wrong, but my issues were not resolved by SPTD mode.

StarBurn.log

Ok. Uninstalled Alcohol 120% (latest version) and also PowerISO (latest version) and then uninstalled CDBurnerXP. I cleaned off machine with CCleaner and rebooted the machine.

First thing I installed was CDBurnerXP, and completed it. Started it up, and I realise that the same problems are still happening, with no CD emulation software installed.

I'm beginning to think I need different software for what I'm need

I'll ask StarBurn about the log file...it contains errors in regard to device access, but I don't know the error codes mentioned there.

Ok, found a solution to my problem.

Since the last post and my last attempts at the possible solutions, I recently had the one drive that was working (SONY DRU-800A) not show up in my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit install. When I log onto the Windows XP Pro SP3 installation, the optical drive showed as an "Removable Hard Disk" (which is obviously a clue something was wrong). Also, in Disk Management the SONY drive would not appear at all.

So that was that, SONY optical drive was dead.  :shock:

So now I removed it from the IDE slot it occupied on the Motherboard, and then I figured I might as well just connect the remaining two optical drives (Lite-On and the LG) onto one IDE cable, and see what happens. I switched the one drive's jumper to SLAVE (as previously all my optical drives were MASTER - due to the two being on an expansion IDE card).

When I rebooted, **BOOM** Problem solved. :yes:  The optical drives that were previously only reading, were now reading AND writing in all the software that can burn on both the Windows XP and the Windows 7 installs.

So seemingly the IDE expansion card wasn't playing too well with Windows 7, but eventually one of the drives was also failing as well.

Hope the info can help someone else (whoever still uses such outdated gear like mine).

I know, don't say it (or think it), but an upgrade is imminent.

Cheers.  :wink2: