Sign in to follow this  
ChrisHerd

Unexpected Installation Features

Something most interesting happened yesterday when I installed the most recent upgrade to v4.51. I am sure you know exactly what that might be.

First, let me say that I love CD Burner XP - so much so that I would pay money for it, if it was shareware. This is the reason why this is so puzzling.

So, after installation, my IE toolbars were completely disarrayed and my home page was gone. Two hours later, I know what happened. During the install process, there is an option called Express Installation. Yep, that did it. I went by that too fast, not expecting to be tricked. There is something called "professional expectation" and "trust." I am an idiot and you just lost both of those.

To continue: The toolbar was easy to uninstall. My homepage I had to find again and get the trojan homepage deleted. But that's not all. A silent tracking program called "safe search" with a back-door gets installed as well and puts a boot up process into the running tasks. "Safe search"? Yeah. So nobody will suspect it.

Thank you very much. This made a solid impression on me. Don't expect me back. I am guessing that it's a good thing my Java is disabled as well.

Something most interesting happened yesterday when I installed the most recent upgrade to v4.51. I am sure you know exactly what that might be.

First, let me say that I love CD Burner XP - so much so that I would pay money for it, if it was shareware. This is the reason why this is so puzzling.

So, after installation, my IE toolbars were completely disarrayed and my home page was gone. Two hours later, I know what happened. During the install process, there is an option called Express Installation. Yep, that did it. I went by that too fast, not expecting to be tricked. There is something called "professional expectation" and "trust." I am an idiot and you just lost both of those.

To continue: The toolbar was easy to uninstall. My homepage I had to find again and get the trojan homepage deleted. But that's not all. A silent tracking program called "safe search" with a back-door gets installed as well and puts a boot up process into the running tasks. "Safe search"? Yeah. So nobody will suspect it.

Thank you very much. This made a solid impression on me. Don't expect me back. I am guessing that it's a good thing my Java is disabled as well.

What you saw is probably a bug, last time I checked nothing extra will ever be installed unless the user selects one of the offers.,

Are you sure you got that toolbar from our installer ? that can't be. as it does not bundle any, all optional software has to be downloaded and has pre-install confirmations, eulas..etc..

I tried to reproduce the problem you describe.. no luck

-Downloaded current installer

- Verified it was signed by us.

- started installation

- No "express installation" option found , only complete or custom..

- A recommendation to install "SpeedPC" was shown, You cannot continue the installation without selecting "yes install" or "no do not install" and reading the EULA.

- After that , cdburnerxp was installed it poped up as usual.

- No malware, no toolbar in IE, everything is clean and works exactly like I expect.

Last time we discussed this we voted against any "opt-out" software bundle, staying strictly with the "opt-in" option, this AFAIK has not changed.

Can you tell me exactly what you did ? if there is malware in one of the recommended applications and you selected "yes , install this application" then we must know what application you installed to report it and exclude it from the offers.

The issue with "express installation" is that only some of the offers use them. Whenever I get to know one of these, I disable them. I guess there recently has been an addition of an "express install" offer that OpenCandy did not tell me about.

I already told OC that these offer screens are shit and they should do something about them, but they don't want to at this point. Contrary to the claims, they don't install any "tracking programs" actually, but they are obviously confusing for end users (and meant to probably).