ncdave

DVD burns at CD speeds

Today I updated CDBurnerXP on my old XP Pro machine (using Ninite). The cdbxpp.exe file now shows File Version 4.5.1.3868.

This machine has two optical drives: a CD-burner and a DVD-burner. As I type this CDburnerXP is burning 20GB spanned across five 16x-rated Amazon brand DVD+R discs on the DVD-burner, and it seems to be working.

The problem is the burn speed. CDburnerXP offered me two choices for burn speed: 48x and 52x. Obviously it was offering CD speeds, for a DVD! I picked Other, but no higher speeds were available. I didn't know what it was going to do, but I generally like to burn a bit under the max speed, so I selected 36x.

It took 15 minutes to burn 5.4 GB to the first disc (plus 5 minutes to verify). Based on the time it took, it must have been burning at 4x DVD speed (which is, indeed, equivalent to 36x CD speed).

The Burn Progress windows shows: "Burn process started at Other: 36x (6,354 KB/s)"

It's burning the 3rd disc right now, and the first two verified okay, so I guess the discs are fine, but obviously CDburnerXP is confused, and it's taking a lot longer than it would if it were burning at DVD 12x (which is what I would have selected, if the proper DVD speeds had been listed).

It refreshes the speeds whenever a disc change in the drive is detected. Can you please check if re-inserting the disc causes any update of the CD speeds or anywhere else in the application?

It refreshes the speeds whenever a disc change in the drive is detected. Can you please check if re-inserting the disc causes any update of the CD speeds or anywhere else in the application?

It burned five discs, so I inserted fresh DVD+R discs five times, and it burned every one at "36x" (really DVD 4x).

However, I exited the program just now, restarted it with a blank DVD in the drive, dragged My Documents to the compilation window, and clicked Burn. This time it came up with the correct burn speeds.

One clue: the time it malfunctioned, when I had started the program it came up with the CD burner (rather than the DVD burner) as the default drive. (The previous time I'd run CDBurnerXP there'd been no DVD drive on the computer, but I plugged in a SATA DVD burner before booting the computer this time.) I dragged the 20GB folder to the compilation area, did Span discs, then wondered why it showed no disc in the drive. Then I noticed it was trying to burn to the CD drive (even though I'd selected DVD+R on the Span options). So I cancelled, selected the other drive, and tried again. It still offered CD burn speeds, even though the DVD drive was now selected.

BTW, a minor usability issue... it is confusing to have the Burn Speed etc. option screen come up only AFTER clicking the Burn button. A "Burn" button should burn the disc, but it doesn't. It's really a "set burn speed etc. and prepare to burn" button. I wandered all over the menus looking for the burn speed etc. options before I clicked Burn.

BTW, the "Span discs" option is the thing that sets CDBurnerXP apart from all other programs. It is a wonderful feature!!! Bravo!!!

I can't reproduce the problem, switching between drives refreshes the burn speed properly for me.

You could try reproducing what I did:

1. With only a CD-burner installed, run CDBurnerXP, and exit it. Shut down XP.

2. Attach a 2nd burner, this one a DVD burner. Restart XP.

3. Start CDBurnerXP (it will default to the CD burner), and select a big folder of files, drag it to the compilation window, and tell it to burn, spanning discs (DVD+R) -- with nothing in the CD drive, it'll complain about the empty drive, of course.

4. Abort that burn, switch to the DVD burner, and retry the burn with the DVD drive.

Nevermind that last msg. I just reproduced it without disconnecting and reconnecting drives, or rebooting.

1. Start CDBurnerXP, with no disc in either optical drive.

2. select the CD-drive (F: in my case).

3. Exit CDBurnerXP

4. Start CDBurnerXP. Notice that it defaults to the CD drive.

5. drag a >4.7GB folder to the compilation window

6. select Split discs, DVD+R, include table-of-contents, then

7. click the Split button

8. Notice that the Burn speed window offers 48x as the default speed (since it's using the CD drive).

9. Abort the burn, change the drive to the DVD burner.

10. select Split discs, DVD+R, include table-of-contents, then

11. click the Split button

12. Notice that the Burn speed window STILL offers 48x as the default speed, even though it's using the DVD drive.

(Also, at step 6 there ought to be a warning about splitting for DVD+R discs when a CD-burner is the current burner.)