Sign in to follow this  
StockportGerbil

Very, very slow disc copying - ideas please

Hi!

I’ve run out of ideas and I hope you can help. I have been asked to fix a laptop which I was told could not copy CDs / DVDs.

I’ve tried copying CDs on the thing and it seems OK except it takes ages (more than an hour) to read an audio CD; it’ll write the same data in a few minutes, so I’m puzzled. I’ve tried different CDs with the same problem.

The laptop is a fairly new Sony VPCEB1M0E model running windows 7 home premium and fitted with an Optiarc AD-7585H.

I’ve checked the system software is up to date with the Viao update tool and windows update, virus scanned the laptop using the installed Norton Utilities and the Housecall online a/v checker.

I’ve recreated the problem with the laptop booted into safe mode (so no A/V getting in the way)

Is there anything else I should be looking at / trying?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi!

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not having replied sooner. It takes a particularly long time with audio discs both to recognise the disc and then to start reading it. I've tried a few more discs with similar results. I've just tried copying a data backup DVD and it's apparently going to take 30 minutes on the laptop; but trying it on my desktop it takes 7 minutes.

Thanks again

Kevin

Then the question would be if it's the fault of CDBurnerXP or a general problem. You should probably try copying data using just the Windows Explorer and see how that performs. If it works normally, you could create a log file for StarBurn to check why reading the disc would be slow (http://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/18).