Sign in to follow this  
ccchuck

Failure with cathy.exe current version

The version I previously had of cdburnerXP produced discs that cataloged without a problem using cathy.exe, a popular free disc cataloger. The current version, and I think the one right bebore since I just updated tonight, produces discs that cathy can't recognize as unique- i.e., cathy sees all discs as the first one you catalog declaring all others as duplicates.

I have no idea why - I do know that nero and imgburn continue to produce discs that will catalog correctly.

I am hopeful this will be corrected since cdburnerXP has been my "go to" burner for sometime.

I don't know how Cathy works, so I can't really tell you what the problem is. I am not aware of any significant changes in the most recent version though. At the very least, tell me what your previous version of CDBurnerXP was.

I downloaded 4.3.8.2631, mainly because it was the only older one i could find, and it works with cathy.exe unlike 4.5.0.3717.

To reiterate, cathy.exe reads a disc for content and stores it in an ongoing catalog. Discs prepared by cdburnerXP  4.5 are all seen as the same disc, while those prepared by 4.3.8 ( and I suspect a little later) are read correctly.

Other cdburners, to include nero and imgburn,  produce discs that cathy.exe reads correctly.

As to cathy.exe, may i suggest you look at http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-file-disk-catalog-organizer.htm.

And thanks for following up on this.

a possible suggestion, a download path to older versions will be helpful.

Does recognition work if you reboot after burning a disc?

No, and trying the discs on another machine running a new install of cathy.exe gives the same result.

Hm, it seems like the discs all get the same serial number which probably is the reason for Cathy to believe all discs are the same. Will ask StarBurn about that issue.

Hm, it seems like the discs all get the same serial number which probably is the reason for Cathy to believe all discs are the same. Will ask StarBurn about that issue.

Any update on this?

StarBurn now said that you should use UDF Version 2.0 or higher for burning. According to StarBurn, the serial number is not actually part of the disc and generated by Windows. This apparently does not work for lower UDF versions, don't ask me why.