OldWJ

Trying to make CD with files in order

Good Morning.

I have used this program to make CDs / DVDs for a couple of years and it has always done the job for me until now. I really don’t know much about computers or how they work and reading information in forums that talk in computer talk is meaningless to me.

I am currently using version 4.5.2.4291.

I am trying to make a CD containing .jpg files (photos) that I want in a specific file order so that the photos for a work project appear sequentially from the beginning of the job to the end. The original photos (.jpg) are saved on an XP computer in several different folders.

My attempts to make a CD with the files in a specific filename order have failed. I initially tried making a separate folder, moving the desired files to that folder then renaming the files 01, 02, 03, … etc. I used CDBurnerXP to make the disk and verified that the files were listed in sequential order before burning. When I viewed the CD using WIndows Explorer or Windows Picture Viewer the files were in completely random order.

I tried several different times to make the CD and it never came out in the 01 thru 999 file name order. I looked at the program and computer settings that I could find and could not determine what was causing this to happen. I even tried renaming the files (01, 02 …etc) in their original folder then copying them one at a time in sequential order into a new folder and I still get a CD with the files in random order. I’ve read through the help files and related posts and the answer that keeps coming up is the file renaming solution but that is not working for me.

I know that I can use a slideshow program to make a slideshow with the files in the desired order however that dramatically reduces the quality of each image. The CDs I’ve made show high quality photos that works fine except that I can’t figure out how to make the CD with the files in the desired order.

I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

No, you cannot sort files on data discs. If you want to sort data discs, you need to do this client side by sorting by file name or any other criteria. So if you want to "save" a certain order along with your files you have to rename them to include a number at the start of the file name and then click the file name column in Windows Explorer to sort.

Sir,

Thanks for your reply. Does your statement:

So if you want to "save" a certain order along with your files you have to rename them to include a number at the start of the file name

mean that I should do something different than what I stated in my original post

I initially tried making a separate folder, moving the desired files to that folder then renaming the files 01, 02, 03, … etc

I even tried renaming the files (01, 02 …etc) in their original folder then copying them one at a time in sequential order into a new folder

because I thought I did exactly what you state and reported it in my post???? What am I missing?

Thank you