vwguy

Possibility of speeding up disc creation of 600K files for span job.

I'm a photographer (g rated for you naughty thoughts people :P ) and I have an ever growing collection of photos.  So about every month I do a entire photo database backup.  Averages on the 600,000 total files.

So I drag the main folder into the disc creation to add all pics to be burned as then I do a disc span to ISO.

The cue of all the files takes forever, averages about 8 hrs.  Is there a secret to speeding this up???

It is running on a 500GB raid 1 mirror.  The pc is 3 core amd 28gb ram.  I had it going yesterday is windows 7 normal mode but it crashed.  So currently I'm re-doing the cue (waiting here) with it running in safe mode.

Thoughts.

Suggestions on how to speed things up??

Maybe I should do sections of the 600k and burn those chunks at a time???

Thank you.

Uhm in the current state CDBurnerXP/StarBurn might not be suitable for such a task (since it currently locks all files and aquires too many resources)...I'd recommend backing up your files on an external hard drive, that is much more comfortable than burning discs anyway.

As much as you are correct with saying use an external hard drive.  Some collections of photos need to be stored away for a period of time.  For me it is just easier to burn them to blue ray discs rather than copy to external hard drive.

It is sad, I hate saying the nero word, but I honestly prefer cdburnerxp as it can run in true 64 bit natively.  Nero is only 32 bit or other burning applications.

Le sigh.

It's planned to change handling of files in the future so that less resources are used, but I can't tell at this point when StarBurn will complete work on this feature, sorry.