John7777

Total Virus Found 4 Viruses

There are no viruses. opencandy is included in the default installer and will continue to be.

You cannot get rid of "openCandy" for a very simple reason.. IT DOES NOT INSTALL IN YOUR COMPUTER. it is only active at the time of installation to suggest other sponsored software you might want, if you install the suggested software, we get an small commission, that is essentially what pays the bills and allow us to keep developing the software, otherwise it might have died as servers and people's time do not magically pay themselves.

Even more, there is a different installer, in the downloads section which does not contain openCandy.

Perfect timing for bringing this up again ;)

As of today, CDBurnerXP will ship without OpenCandy (and replace it with "ads" for donating to CDBurnerXP), at least for a while. The revenue it generates has gone down quite a bit, so that its intrusiveness is no longer justified (in my opinion). I'll check if donations can achieve a similiar amount of revenue, and if so, I see no reason to make use of OC in the future. No promises though, still evaluating...

As of today, CDBurnerXP will ship without OpenCandy (and replace it with "ads" for donating to CDBurnerXP), at least for a while. The revenue it generates has gone down quite a bit, so that its intrusiveness is no longer justified (in my opinion). I'll check if donations can achieve a similiar amount of revenue, and if so, I see no reason to make use of OC in the future. No promises though, still evaluating...

OH, I didn't knew the profits from OC have gone down the drain.. if that's the case, then it is better to have a donation button instead. 

So, that explains the sudden reappearance of the minimal version after only 1 or 2 updates?

Unfortunately this OpenCandy is still there and I could not download the update at first because of this annoying piece of junk as my antivirus software blocked it. It's in both the normal as well as the minimal version. That's VERY annoying. And even if you say it is only displayed during the installation how do we know it doesn't do something else stealthily? Just drop this piece of junk!!! You're simply annoying your customers with this, and never mind how much you "earn" with it. Greed has never paid off.

The minimal version does not include OpenCandy. Not even internally.

and never mind how much you "earn" with it.

I won't mind anymore if you pay me whatever OpenCandy pays me each month. Deal? ;)

Funny thing is: Even if you install the minimal version without OpenCandy it will automatically download and install the version with OpenCandy.

The only way of stopping this is to disable the automatic update in the settings. :wink:

post-59755-0-43467500-1441693771_thumb.p

The latest version 4.5.6.5844 indeed has the above mentioned problem.

The following 64-Bit minimal Installer (which should be without OpenCandy) is infected.

http://download.cdburnerxp.se/minimal/7e68f6c49e6004573406dd8664afb0b1/55f02d24/cdbxp_setup_4.5.6.5844_x64_minimal.exe

The 32-Bit (x64 compatible) Installer is NOT (!!) infected and working fine.

I guess this is just an internal error - perhaps the wrong file has been used or linked.

I tested this with several antivirus programs including G Data, Norton, ... 32-Bit Installer is OK - 64-Bit Installer is infected.

I also deactivated automatic updates!

The program itsself is excellent and one of the best CD burning software I have used so far.

The minimal version does not include OpenCandy. Not even internally.

This is wrong concerning version 4.5.6.5844 64-Bit ... see above.

I won't mind anymore if you pay me whatever OpenCandy pays me each month. Deal? ;)

If it's only the money... well... then it's a pity to read this. I can understand that a programmer wants a compensation for his work (yeah I'm programming software, too)... but I think the better way would be to provide a "paid" version for a little money without all this stuff.

I've just read that you are from Germany just like myself - so if you decide to sell "pro" versions for let's say 10 Euro... you can contact me.

But I really would suggest to check the above mentioned 64-Bit Minimal Installer (without OpenCandy) - because this one really includes OpenCandy.

Best wishes and continue the excellent work!

Alex "Rylex"

Edit: here are the details from Norton:

The "normal" version with OpenCandy:

CDxp2.jpg

The "minimal" version without OpenCandy:

CDxp1.jpg

Maybe it only checks the file name? The minimal installers neither activate nor contain the OpenCandy components. You can check this by comparing the file sizes of the installers, with "minimal" being a few 100 KB less. This has not changed for more than a year.

Yes, the file sizes are:

cdbxp_setup_4.5.6.5844_x64.exe = 5,52 MB (5.796.576 Bytes) = With OpenCandy

cdbxp_setup_4.5.6.5844_x64_minimal.exe = 5,27 MB (5.533.480 Bytes) = Without OpenCandy = Virusscanner says infected

I tried different filenames for both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit version.

What might be interesting: Version 4.5.5.5790 is clean - both 32-Bit and 64-bit:

cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790_x64_minimal.exe = Without OpenCandy = Virusscanner says clean

Tried it today on 3 different computers.

I don't want to criticize your work in any way. You are doing a great job.

I just wanted to point this problem out. Especially because version 4.5.5.5790 is OK and some other people might have this problem, too.

If I can help you in any way with this problem, then let me know...

You should contact Symantec then to correct this issue. 

As you can see here https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/ffaae21d15bbdf595bf8b4273a1816d2aa4037d1a6615f0bbaa0d46268de7f56/analysis/ the file is 100& clean. That's as much as I can say about that.

You should of course verify you got the original file and check the digital signature (see https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/8966-cdburnerxp-releases-are-digitally-signed/), but to this date no user ever reported getting a manipulated file from somewhere.